Recruiting the next few years in Minnesota

100% transfers would count. Need a PG however it comes.

Jones I dont know much about.

My reseravations would be 1. Is he even a PG? He doesnt turn it over much but 3 assists and taking over 13 shots he seems more combo. and 2. Not the best efficiency inside the arc while being in the MAC. Nothing terrible but when moving up a level thats where weve run in trouble with guys in past.

Again, I dont know much at all about him though. Maybe he can play some PG if asked.
He’s more of a 2 than a PG

BSM has the best young talent in the state. 3 Players on Howard Pulley top '25 team and 1 Player on D1MN top '26. There were also 2 of the top 5 Freshmen in the state who transferred out. I don't know what his connection is to all these kids, but for him to get all the top guys to come to a private school that was 5-21 the year before he was hired is huge. BSM is currently 18-3 with only losses coming to Wayzata, Middleton Wisconson top 5 team in the biggest class of Wisconsin Hoops, & Waconia (still confused by this one)
Jaleel Donley may be the quickest kid I've seen on the court in years. He creates as much space for his shot as anyone I've seen around here. I saw he made 4 3's in the game that was highlighted, that's encouraging. If he puts on some weight and gains strength he will be really something. Just about everything you'd want in a point guard. Ben?

Jaleel Donley may be the quickest kid I've seen on the court in years. He creates as much space for his shot as anyone I've seen around here. I saw he made 4 3's in the game that was highlighted, that's encouraging. If he puts on some weight and gains strength he will be really something. Just about everything you'd want in a point guard. Ben?
What year is he?

Agree... His speed and quickness is DeAaron Fox, Ja Morant like. He has an extra gear that I haven't seen from a HS kid especially a sophmore

Interesting find. He went from 2ppg last year to 15 ppg this year 36% 3 point shooter. Does his game translate in terms of speed?

Never watched him so I don't know. Was just hunting around for northern guards with at least a couple of years of eligibility (he's listed as a point guard) and saw that he was from the local area.

100% transfers would count. Need a PG however it comes.

Jones I dont know much about.

My reseravations would be 1. Is he even a PG? He doesnt turn it over much but 3 assists and taking over 13 shots he seems more combo. and 2. Not the best efficiency inside the arc while being in the MAC. Nothing terrible but when moving up a level thats where weve run in trouble with guys in past.

Again, I dont know much at all about him though. Maybe he can play some PG if asked.

He's listed as a point. I don't know that we need a heavy assist guy. We have enough guys on the team who can pass. As someone said during last night's game, we probably would do better right now with a shoot-first instead of a pass-first point guard.

I'm assuming transfer recruits count for this thread.

Wonder if this kid is interested in coming home?

Curtis Jones

Played at Cretin-Derham Hall. Spent one year at Indian Hills CC and the last two years at Buffalo. Has two years of eligibility after this season.

He's having a pretty good year this season (PER - 19.2 (14th in the MACC), WIN SHARES PER 40 - .158 (11th in the MACC), 4th in the MACC in 3 pointers made, 8th in steals, 7th in Box plus/minus, 3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio, and 76.9% free throw shooter).
Yep I think one local team had interest

He's listed as a point. I don't know that we need a heavy assist guy. We have enough guys on the team who can pass. As someone said during last night's game, we probably would do better right now with a shoot-first instead of a pass-first point guard.
He is a 2 guard but can run the offense

Yeah it appears he can probably play with the ball but his numbers scream 2 guard like others said he was.

Gophs dont necessarily need a high assist guy but they need someone who can handle full time ball handling duties and set up the offense.

I would have no problem with this Jones guy if a few spots come up open. But right now Gophers already plan for guys like Carrington and Christie at the 2.

To me this Jones looks like a poor mans Kam Jones where he can handle the ball at times to initiate offense especially when a main PG has to sit. And can handle some pressure D. But not going to look to create like a true point.

Again, like you I've watched nothing on him. But his numbers tell me we still need to prioritize more of a true point. And a guy like him could be a worthy add depending on other openings.

I’ve never seen him play but he went from averaging under 3 ppg as a freshman to over 15 this season. There are some posters on this site that are making statements about the current group of Gopher freshman not being Big Ten caliber. Maybe a little patience is required?

Yeah it appears he can probably play with the ball but his numbers scream 2 guard like others said he was.

Gophs dont necessarily need a high assist guy but they need someone who can handle full time ball handling duties and set up the offense.

I would have no problem with this Jones guy if a few spots come up open. But right now Gophers already plan for guys like Carrington and Christie at the 2.

To me this Jones looks like a poor mans Kam Jones where he can handle the ball at times to initiate offense especially when a main PG has to sit. And can handle some pressure D. But not going to look to create like a true point.

Again, like you I've watched nothing on him. But his numbers tell me we still need to prioritize more of a true point. And a guy like him could be a worthy add depending on other openings.
Yup. At a good pace.

Yep, I said it last year and some folks laughed, Tibbets can help a Big 10 team. Maybe it isn’t as a starting PG for an elite team, but he is a good basketball player.
We've been to a few Wayzata games this season, including the matchup with Minnetonka last month. As I understand it, McAndrew, who is a 6'9" junior, already has multiple D1 offers. He's really gangly and kind of awkward, and for a guy his size, he doesn't bang under the boards as much as he jacks up 3 pt. attempts.

At the same time Tibbits comes across to me as a legit PG - maybe not at the B1G level, but definitely mid to low D1. Is this just about height and that alone? That teams figure that McAndrew will put on weight? Is it just because Tibbits is only about 5'9" (he's listed as 5'11" but I think that's quite generous.)

I've heard absolutely nothing about offers for Tibbits. I suspect he probably has some D2 or D3 offers, but he's not saying anything because he's hoping for an elusive D1 offer?

We've been to a few Wayzata games this season, including the matchup with Minnetonka last month. As I understand it, McAndrew, who is a 6'9" junior, already has multiple D1 offers. He's really gangly and kind of awkward, and for a guy his size, he doesn't bang under the boards as much as he jacks up 3 pt. attempts.

At the same time Tibbits comes across to me as a legit PG - maybe not at the B1G level, but definitely mid to low D1. Is this just about height and that alone? That teams figure that McAndrew will put on weight? Is it just because Tibbits is only about 5'9" (he's listed as 5'11" but I think that's quite generous.)

I've heard absolutely nothing about offers for Tibbits. I suspect he probably has some D2 or D3 offers, but he's not saying anything because he's hoping for an elusive D1 offer?
I watched Wayzata vs Minnehaha last night. I agree that Tibbits is a legit point guard, but being about 5'10 and having an average outside shot, I think he's destined for D2 or possibly a mid-major. He does get to the basket incredibly well and and gets his teammates involved, but I think with bigger and better athletes he may have a lot more trouble scoring at that level.

Jackson McAndrew was impressive. I see he has offers from Iowa, Wisconsin, and Creighton. He is really long, but he is very skinny and not particularly strong. He is a good athlete who has a very good looking stroke from 3 and has a nice quick release. His work around the basket is not his strong suit at this point, but I'm sure there are a lot of teams who like the idea of a 6'9 kid who can handle it, run the floor well, and is a very good 3 pt shooter. I think the Gophers may have run out of scholarships, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Gophers uniform. We could use a few more shooters.

The best player on the floor last night was Nasir Whitlock from Minnehaha. He's about 6'1, has a great shot from range and can pull up and elevate, and he has a great handle and can pass it. He's a scorer from all over the court, and from what I saw offensively I'd take him on the Gophers right now. On the other hand, his defense was very poor, and I don't know if that's his disinterest in playing defense or his coach instructing him not to get in foul trouble. It was a mystery. However, he has great talent offensively and he's headed to Lehigh next year. They're getting a good player.

I watched Wayzata vs Minnehaha last night. I agree that Tibbits is a legit point guard, but being about 5'10 and having an average outside shot, I think he's destined for D2 or possibly a mid-major. He does get to the basket incredibly well and and gets his teammates involved, but I think with bigger and better athletes he may have a lot more trouble scoring at that level.

Jackson McAndrew was impressive. I see he has offers from Iowa, Wisconsin, and Creighton. He is really long, but he is very skinny and not particularly strong. He is a good athlete who has a very good looking stroke from 3 and has a nice quick release. His work around the basket is not his strong suit at this point, but I'm sure there are a lot of teams who like the idea of a 6'9 kid who can handle it, run the floor well, and is a very good 3 pt shooter. I think the Gophers may have run out of scholarships, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Gophers uniform. We could use a few more shooters.

The best player on the floor last night was Nasir Whitlock from Minnehaha. He's about 6'1, has a great shot from range and can pull up and elevate, and he has a great handle and can pass it. He's a scorer from all over the court, and from what I saw offensively I'd take him on the Gophers right now. On the other hand, his defense was very poor, and I don't know if that's his disinterest in playing defense or his coach instructing him not to get in foul trouble. It was a mystery. However, he has great talent offensively and he's headed to Lehigh next year. They're getting a good player.
Love watching Tibbits. i think hes a mid major guy.

cant help but think that Nasir could help us......but basically anyone could help us on the guard front! but your right everytime i watched him he is so disinterested in Defense it sure makes you wonder. but the kid gets after it on the offensive end

Doesn’t Whitlock plays for De La Salle?

DeAndre Matthieu says hello at 5’9”, and I’m not convinced he was that tall.

DeAndre Matthieu says hello at 5’9”, and I’m not convinced he was that tall.
Matthieu was about as fast as any player I have seen and could dunk it like he was 6-3. He had some things to offset that size

Matthieu was about as fast as any player I have seen and could dunk it like he was 6-3. He had some things to offset that size
I agree, Matthieu played much bigger than he was, and he could shoot it a bit better than Tibbits. Tibbits will be a good player for someone, I just don't think he's quite Big Ten material.

Top Bottom