Recruiting Q&A: Theo John Talks Gophers, Recruiting and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Theo John Talks Gophers, Recruiting and More
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/667220?referrer_id=

Theo John, a 6-foot-9 rising senior center from Champlin Park (MN) High, is one of the top big men in the Midwest. John received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last spring and helped lead the Rebels to a 6-0 mark this past weekend at the Minnesota Golden Gopher team camp.

John averaged 14.0 points, 8.6 rebounds and 3.3 blocked shots per game this past year for the Rebels. He scored in double figures in 22 of 28 games with four games of more than 20 points, including a season-best 22 points versus DeLaSalle.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with John to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You picked a few new recent offers from Florida, Purdue and Maryland. How many offers are you up to right now? Do you still keep count?

Theo John: I believe it is 15. (John also has offers from schools such as Minnesota, Marquette, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech)

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you to receive all those offers and that all your hard work has paid off?

Theo John: Yes. It is a great motivation to keep going. You get the results and that is what I have been looking for, so it makes me what to keep getting them.

Gopher Hole: Besides the schools that have offered you, what other schools are you hearing from?

Theo John: I am hearing a little from UCLA, Cal. I think Nevada and a few other schools.

Gopher Hole: Are you still open to new schools or are you trying to narrow it down yet?

Theo John: Yes. I am slowly starting to pick certain schools that I want to look more into, but not narrowing anything down.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you are going to try to decide on a school? Would you try to decide before school starts?

Theo John: For awhile, I was trying to decide before July, but then all these new offers came in, so I had to take the time to get those universities interest.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that you are going to take official visits in the fall?

Theo John: Yes. I have taken two official visits. One to Oklahoma and one to Purdue. I believe that I have one scheduled in the fall for Marquette and we'll see what other ones come up.

Gopher Hole: What are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Theo John: I want a place that is going to give me a chance. A place that believes in me. Great coaches. Ones that I get along with. Teammates as well. I don't want to go to a place where I'm not going to get the ball or I don't get along with teammates. I want to be at a great university and school, education-wise. I want to get a good degree in whatever it is that I go for and I want to get the chance to play right away.

Gopher Hole: You are hearing from schools over the country. Does playing close to home or in the Midwest a factor?

Theo John: It would be nice, but at the end of the day, I'm going to do what is best for me. Whoever will develop me the most, is where I am going to be at.

Gopher Hole: You were at the Minnesota camp and they were one of the first schools to offer you. What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Theo John: I am a huge target for them because I am a hometown guy. That part is attractive, playing for my home team. They have got a great thing going, turning the program around and I believe that they will have a bright future.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the opportunity to play for the home state school?

Theo John: It would be cool. You would know everybody in the stands, pretty much, and to be able to that close to home and your parents to see you play every game would be nice, but like I said, if it's not the right place, then it's not, but if it is, that is a great plus.

Gopher Hole: You and McKinley (Wright) are playing really well together again. What are the expectations for you guys? You have obviously had two good years in a row as a sophomore and as a junior and want to finish your career on a high note.

Theo John: Our goal is to finish what we started. We fell short two years ago in the state championship and we really believe that we can win it this year. We are going to be going twice as hard as we were last year and we have the determination now that we fell so short last year and we can't let that happen again.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have gotten bigger since the last time that I saw you. What are you up to height and weight-wise now?

Theo John: I'm 6-9. 230 now.

Gopher Hole: What were you during the season?

Theo John: I believe I was 6-8 ½ and like 220, 225.

Gopher Hole: Have you noticed that helping your game?

Theo John: For sure. I feel quicker, faster, stronger. I feel more athletic, so it is really starting to help.

Gopher Hole: You are going to be playing with Howard Pulley this July and are off to a great start. How pleased are you with how well you guys have played?

Theo John: That is just a showcase for our hard work. We are working very hard in practice every day and you start to see that. A lot of people didn't really believe in us once the season began, but we got that heart. We got that pride to do well and show up for Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: You are going to be going into your senior year. Is that kind of weird to finally be a senior?

Theo John: Yes. Time went by fast. Learned a lot. Had great coaches throughout the time. It is going to be really weird being my last season and that much more motivation to go hard, knowing that it is my last season putting on a Rebel uniform.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to play Division I basketball?

Theo John: It has been my dream since I was a little kid. One, to be offered a scholarship and two, be able to commit somewhere and play on that big stage. There is a lot that comes with that pressure-wise and you have got to be smart about everything, but it is part of the process.

really hope we get big theo!!

Theo would be a good get. I really hope if both him and Sims want to be here they find away to make it happen

Sounds like most of his visits have been in the Midwest. That could be a good sign.

He wants great coaches. Goodbye Theo. Write home once in awhile! [emoji41]

Top Bottom