Recruiting athletic big man

Reaction score
Wondering if Johnny Gopher, Gopher Warrior, or another recruiting guru could tell me if there are any athletic big men in the recruiting pipeline? HS juniors, perhaps?

I like Colton and Ralph, and am excited about the play/prospect of Mo and Elliott. Guard/wing-wise we have nice athleticism now which should only get better when Coleman and Hollins arrive next year. But Mbakwe is a junior and the only one (now) who seems to fit the mold of an athletic big man.

Is there potential help on the way?

A.J. Hammons is a great prospect,listed at 7 ft 280, but one word I would thing I would not say about him is athletic. He can move and jump, and runs the floor decently, but he isn't a freak athlete. He isn't a guy you can get out and run with and expect him to fly down the court.

While I don't want to compare his game to either player but his athleticism and body type is closer to Jerad Sullinger than JaJuan Johnson.

Akoy Agau is a 6'9 very athletic PF from Omaha. He's listed at 6'7 but after seeing in the OPS tourny last weekend he's at least 6'9. Guessing at his wingspan I'd say 7'1. He scored most of his points this past weekend on the pick-and-roll, or the pick-and-pop. He was able to take guys shot blocking 6'8 kids in the post and score, and took 6'5 SF off the the dribble. Why he did it in that order I'm not sure. He's only a soph so he's still learning the game.

I haven't ever seen the gophers on his list so they must not want this type of big man. They have to know about him because they are going after one of his AAU teammates from Martin Brothers. Adam Woodbury from Sioux City East, I haven't seen him play yet so I don't know his game. I will say that Akoy is for real he will be a top 20 player, but I trust that if they haven't offered him they have their reasons. It could just be that a Tubby would much rather have a Colt Iverson than a Derrick Favors. Favors came out of high school at 210 pounds.

Recruiting Athletic Big Man

We already have Eliason who is redshirted. Our guard recruiting looks strong. If Williams stays, we have one of the forwards, but who replaces Mbakwe, Iverson and Sampson, in two years. I think Tubby will take care of this. His recruiting efforts have been outstanding and with a strong showing this year in the tournament and next year too, the recruiting will get even deeper.................

AZ Gopher

Possibly Walter Pitchford who's at prep school now. He's more of the long/thin athletic type though. I am not sure if he fits the profile, but Carlos Emory had some nice things said about his game at the Pulley league. He's listed at 6'6 225 at his JUCO, though I am not sure if he could get in to Minnesota or if there is any interest.

This topic interests me quite a bit because we've seen the difference a Trevor type 4 makes in this system. Tubby seems to like the long 5's who often times are not the best rebounders in college. Adding a 4 man who's both athletic and a bruiser to play next to a Sampson/Iverson or in the future Walker/Eliason is key.

Wondering if Johnny Gopher, Gopher Warrior, or another recruiting guru could tell me if there are any athletic big men in the recruiting pipeline? HS juniors, perhaps?

I like Colton and Ralph, and am excited about the play/prospect of Mo and Elliott. Guard/wing-wise we have nice athleticism now which should only get better when Coleman and Hollins arrive next year. But Mbakwe is a junior and the only one (now) who seems to fit the mold of an athletic big man.

Is there potential help on the way?

Hadn't seen you post before...this is going to be confusing.

The Gophers dont need an athletic big man necessarily. What they do need is a dominant wing who can put up points, rebounds and controls the game. I think Alando Tucker from Wisconsin when I say this. He is a mismatch for anyone and if you need a bucket in the final 2 minutes, he is your guy. Athletic 6'3" guards arent the key unless they are stand-out, top 10 talent. We don't have that which is why the Gophers, despite being deep, big and athletic do not have what it takes to win a national championship. You need a great player with good players to do that, not a group of good players.

Mbakwe is athletic and big, we will see how he does.

A little guy who is athletic can get into the paint and scrap for rebounds and lay-ups if he is indeed athletic a lot better than a big guy can get out and run and handle the ball against a good pressure D if he is not. So of course if you can get a guy who is big and athletic, grab him. But if you're going to be lacking in one area or the other, I'd rather have athletic than size.

Not sure if he is on the Gophers radar at all, but Shaquille Goodwin from Georgia is a very athletic power forward who can also shoot the ball a little bit. I'm hoping Tubby uses his Georgia connections and at least takes a look at him.

Top Bottom