Recruiting: 2012's Albert "Junior" Lomomba

Reaction score
2012 is closer than you think. I know some on here are already familiar with Junior Lomomba, a Canadian who plays for Madison Memorial (WI), and there isn't anything new with regard to his recruitment, but.. but since we're playing the Badgers tonight, combined with the fact an article with a video interview of the sophomore just went up, might as well check in.

First, while not out of the question, him going to the Madison extension of UW is not likely... his uncle, Hennssy Auriantal is a former Rodent bball player who doesn't care for his former program.. fun!

Junior is getting close to 6'5".. Minnesota and Marquette are both in the game at this point in time.. as are a number of others... and I expect a good amount of other schools will come calling after this summer. He has invites to tryout for Canada at a couple of FIBA events and the Nike Global Challenge this summer.. he's played with all the Canadian kids.. last year's NGC team included Junior plus Tristan Thompson (2010 Texas commit), Myck Kabongo (2011 Texas), Junior Cadougan (Marquette freshman).. some guys we talked about in the Majok Majok post earlier this week: Melvin Ejim (Brewster Academy now-Iowa State next year), Maurice Walker (Brewster Academy, unsigned 2010 kid), Laurent Rivard (2010 Harvard bound, plays with Majok Majok now at Northfield), etc.

Madison Memorial... in recent years they have / are producing the likes of Wesley Matthews (2009 graduate of Marquette, plays now for the Utah Jazz), Vander Blue (coming to Marquette this summer), and Jeronne Maymon (freshman at Marquette to start this year, transferred to Tennessee for the spring semester..ugh)... Junior Lomomba played a significant role in Memorial's run last year, with Jeronne and Vander leading the way...

In July this past summer Junior injured his wrist.. was hoping to go without surgery, but after a couple of months, it was time for Lomomba to play like Kool Moe Dee and Go See The Doctor.. If you go back to this fall, some thought he might miss the entire season.. but, he got back on the court in early January.. has probably played in over 10 games now.. pretty much is 'back' and should help Memorial on another tourney run, although they've got some competition.

Smart kid, hard worker, can finish and is going to get better. To hear 'Minnesota' and 'Junior Lomomba' together is good.

Anyway, an article on the young man from today, along with video interviews:

http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/rob_hernandez/article_c5306000-b937-5311-9f48-cf1f25451cc2.html?mode=story"]Article from Madison.com

PS - sorry for the senseless babble/rambling thoughts above.. I'm just trying to waste time in order to get to 8pm.. Marquette vs. Pittsburgh, Gophers vs. Rodents.. picture-in-picture will be utilized.

GW

2012 is closer than you think. I know some on here are already familiar with Junior Lomomba, a Canadian who plays for Madison Memorial (WI), and there isn't anything new with regard to his recruitment, but.. but since we're playing the Badgers tonight, combined with the fact an article with a video interview of the sophomore just went up, might as well check in.

First, while not out of the question, him going to the Madison extension of UW is not likely... his uncle, Hennssy Auriantal is a former Rodent bball player who doesn't care for his former program.. fun!

Junior is getting close to 6'5".. Minnesota and Marquette are both in the game at this point in time.. as are a number of others... and I expect a good amount of other schools will come calling after this summer. He has invites to tryout for Canada at a couple of FIBA events and the Nike Global Challenge this summer.. he's played with all the Canadian kids.. last year's NGC team included Junior plus Tristan Thompson (2010 Texas commit), Myck Kabongo (2011 Texas), Junior Cadougan (Marquette freshman).. some guys we talked about in the Majok Majok post earlier this week: Melvin Ejim (Brewster Academy now-Iowa State next year), Maurice Walker (Brewster Academy, unsigned 2010 kid), Laurent Rivard (2010 Harvard bound, plays with Majok Majok now at Northfield), etc.

Madison Memorial... in recent years they have / are producing the likes of Wesley Matthews (2009 graduate of Marquette, plays now for the Utah Jazz), Vander Blue (coming to Marquette this summer), and Jeronne Maymon (freshman at Marquette to start this year, transferred to Tennessee for the spring semester..ugh)... Junior Lomomba played a significant role in Memorial's run last year, with Jeronne and Vander leading the way...

In July this past summer Junior injured his wrist.. was hoping to go without surgery, but after a couple of months, it was time for Lomomba to play like Kool Moe Dee and Go See The Doctor.. If you go back to this fall, some thought he might miss the entire season.. but, he got back on the court in early January.. has probably played in over 10 games now.. pretty much is 'back' and should help Memorial on another tourney run, although they've got some competition.

Smart kid, hard worker, can finish and is going to get better. To hear 'Minnesota' and 'Junior Lomomba' together is good.

Anyway, an article on the young man from today, along with video interviews:

http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/rob_hernandez/article_c5306000-b937-5311-9f48-cf1f25451cc2.html?mode=story"]Article from Madison.com

PS - sorry for the senseless babble/rambling thoughts above.. I'm just trying to waste time in order to get to 8pm.. Marquette vs. Pittsburgh, Gophers vs. Rodents.. picture-in-picture will be utilized.

You threw me for a loop. I always thought the Gophers were the "rodents".

I can hear Sid now, trying to say Junior Momamba and Majok Majok :D

I don't think he has mastered Hoffarber yet!

I can see it in practice now if they both warrant becoming Gophers:

Lomamba does the Rumba,
Fakes Majok out of his jock.

Pretty much the only things that are 100% true in that article is that he is HA nephew and that he goes to Madison Memorial. Take everything about offers and interest with a huge grain of salt. He has a longggg way to go before he is a D1 prospect. He is 6'3 with very poor outside skill, basically a 6'3 PF.

The reason that HA and UW(Bo Ryan) do not get along is that UW isnt into the "World Wide Wes" style of recruiting, or in other terms $$ for AAU coaches/"mentors".

Pretty much the only things that are 100% true in that article is that he is HA nephew and that he goes to Madison Memorial. Take everything about offers and interest with a huge grain of salt. He has a longggg way to go before he is a D1 prospect. He is 6'3 with very poor outside skill, basically a 6'3 PF.

The reason that HA and UW(Bo Ryan) do not get along is that UW isnt into the "World Wide Wes" style of recruiting, or in other terms $$ for AAU coaches/"mentors".

On the article: it really doesn't say much.. although on the specifics from Auriantal in terms of who has formally offered - agreed, they differ from reality.

Some of your other comments:
- He is undoubtedly a D1 prospect
- Lomomba is not 6'3".
- Your characterization of Auriantal's and UW's mutual dislike is not due to what you say it is - it goes way back. You're talking like a UW lover with a mind not willing to look at reality. I know the Madison branch of the UW public school system is the Ivy of the Midwest and all, but get real.

Why no mention of Keaton Nankivil in the list of guys from Memorial?

Have you seen Lomomba play this season? I have not, but should on Saturday. From what I saw last season, I don't think he's a sure fire high major kid yet. If he's done growing, which he may be given that's he almost a year older than his class, he's going to need some further development of his perimeter skills.

Have you seen Lomomba play this season? I have not, but should on Saturday. From what I saw last season, I don't think he's a sure fire high major kid yet. If he's done growing, which he may be given that's he almost a year older than his class, he's going to need some further development of his perimeter skills.

I have seen him very little over the past several weeks since he's been back. He will work... this summer will be important for him, but he's a high major talent. Saturday *should be* a blowout

Do you have any thoughts on Vander .. especially with regard to performance this year?

I have seen him very little over the past several weeks since he's been back. He will work... this summer will be important for him, but he's a high major talent. Saturday *should be* a blowout

Do you have any thoughts on Vander .. especially with regard to performance this year?

Unfortunately, I have only seen Memorial once this season (loss at Sun Prairie). However, from what I've been told, he may be "struggling" a bit with the same thing Jeronne did last season. He obviously gets a lot more attention from defenses now as the primary guy, and his #2 is not as good as he was as a #2 to Jeronne. I don't think Memorial has a good mix this year, they've had guys going in and out of the lineup with injuries and suspenions, not enough continuity to keep things going at a high level. Not sure some of them are the best kids either. Hopefully they can all get on the same page for March. I think Vander will be just fine next year at MU, still wish he was going to be a Badger.

How about 2010 recruit Alec Brown representing my hometown? 7'0" long arms has a good touch, a few years in the weight room could be a solid big ten players like the big guy from Illinois.

minnyrules11 said:
How about 2010 recruit Alec Brown representing my hometown? 7'0" long arms has a good touch, a few years in the weight room could be a solid big ten players like the big guy from Illinois.

I think you hit on one of the issues.. needs time in the weight room. He's certainly tall. I think he'll wind up at a mid-major program and hopefully do well.. have heard Loyola-Chi and UWGB for awhile.. but Northern Iowa, Santa Clara, Wash St may all be involved as well... but, he's not a Tisdale talent and not suited for the Big Ten...

You wind up seeing Junior and Van this weekend? What did you think? This play looked pretty good:

Vander1.jpg

PS - I hear Bo offered Mike Shaw (2011; Wayne Blackshear's buddy) after the Northwestern game...
PPS - He's been a million places already, but for some reasons I am slightly irked that JP keeps going to Badgers games!! Actually, as much as I dislike UW-Madison, it would be cool to see him go to school in Wisconsin, even if not at Marquette.

I did make it to the Memorial game on Saturday. Parker is terrible, I think they have 2 conference wins this season, but Memorial really played poorly. They played great on Friday and blew out a solid Middleton team, but played with little intensity on Saturday and let Parker hang around way too long. I think it was a 5-point game heading to the 4th.

Vander had a pretty quiet game until the 4th, due in part to the dunk in the picture below. It was obviously a great finish right over a guy, but he stood over him and said something to get Ted up, then sat the rest of the half (it happened pretty early in the 2nd quarter). That was actually Tre Creamer who threw the alley oop. I think Vander had 10 in the 4th (14 total), and one more huge finish over a guy on a break. Not his best game, but you could certainly see flashes of his talents. I still believe he will be a great college player.

Lomomba was much better this year than last year. His shot had a bit of a hitch in it last year, but it looks much more textbook now. I don't recall him shooting any 3s, but he hit a couple mid-range and pull up shots, all of which looked very smooth. He also had one really nice take along the baseline, which he finished left-handed after going under the hoop. He's not a great athlete, but most likely good enough for the high major level. I think 6'3" is probably the correct height, he looked a tad shorter than Vander. He probably needs to continue to refine his ball-handling and shooting, but he's much closer to a high major prospect than I remembered.

Sophomore forward Jamar Morris could be a prospect too. He has a live body and is very active around the hoop. However, he can't be more than 6'4", so he either needs to grow to be a PF, or diversify his game so he can play SF. Freshman PG Brendan Ortiz could be a really good one as well. Great looking shot, good handles, needs to tighten a few things up, but he's playing as a freshman as Memorial, so he definitely has some talent. I know UW has looked at both.

I was also at the UW game on Sunday against NW. Great first half, stinker of a second, but they pulled it out in front of a decent crowd. They actually had a lot of visitors in town, and some pretty good ones too. As you mentioned, Shaw was there and was offered, as was Chasson Randle, 2012 big Phillip Nolan from Vincent, UW commits Devon Hodges and George Marshall, and apparently Rene Pulley with some kids from Minneapolis. Tokoto was there again as well, which was great to see. He has been to at least three games now, and Bo is putting forth a pretty good effort to land him. He was at Falls' game on Saturday night, which makes at least three Falls games this season for Bo. I'd love to see him stay in state, at UW obviously, but going against UNC, Kansas, Duke and Kentucky is a different world.

UWOle - thanks for your thoughts.

All - channel3000.com will have tonight's Madison Memorial / Madison East game on shortly (tipoff somewhere around 7:50pm central tonight).. first game was an OT thriller that went to East.

For Memorial, obviously they have the guys talked about in this thread...
Madison East -- check out Nimrod Hilliard (skinny junior guard) and Marquis Mason (6'4", 2010; very good high school wide receiver, will be be playing football for the Badgers)

Highlights from the first time they played each other: Memorial vs East Part I

Ugly second quarter for Memorial. They were up 18-11 after the first, then Marquis Mason got going a bit in the second. It's now East 24-23 at the half. Hopefully Vander can get it going in the second half.

Junior is planning to come check out the Twin Cities once again in a week...

Tennessee offered him a few weeks ago... could see him eventually winding up there.

Playing with The Family (EYBL).. I think he is the only 2012 on the roster, everyone else being 2011... including guard Carlton Brundidge, who will give headaches to Gopher fans (Michigan commit).

Montreal article on Junior... the offer list isn't quite right, but a nice little piece:

Montreal Gazette Article on Lomomba, 7/28/10

PS - The Family went 3-2 at the Peach Jam but missed the quarterfinals. I think Junior was only there for the last two games... 64-47 win over BABC (2 pts, 1 reb, 4 assts in 12 mins) and a 73-71 victory over Each 1 Teach 1 (Austin Rivers.. had 28 pts, but 10/27 from the field... Junior 17 mins, 2 pts, 3 boards, 1 asst)

-------------------------
Also, Alec Brown had come up on this Lomomba thread awhile back...

I think you hit on one of the issues.. needs time in the weight room. He's certainly tall. I think he'll wind up at a mid-major program and hopefully do well.. have heard Loyola-Chi and UWGB for awhile.. but Northern Iowa, Santa Clara, Wash St may all be involved as well... but, he's not a Tisdale talent and not suited for the Big Ten...

As a followup, if anyone missed it, there was a thread in May - Brown to UWGB:

Brown to UWGB

Alec has been on campus in Green Bay for summer school since June 20.

Hey GW -

I enjoy your posts and realize your info is almost always rock solid. One request, however.

Can you post updates and such like this without going back on a search and digging up an eight-month old to tack onto? I know you're trying to offer some background on the dude by doing it this way, but, IMO, it only leads to confusion. I consider myself fairly adept at operating on the internet, but it took me awhile to realize the start of this thread wasn't fresh info until the final post.

Just start a thread that says something like: "Update on Gopher Target Lomomba"

That would be easier.

I only bring it up because you have a habit of doing this and almost always it creates confusion.

You can tell me to take a hike, no problem. I'm just offering a suggestion that might make it easier for all involved.

Please know, I appreciate your info.

Top Bottom