Recruit updates - Gainer, Watkins and Tyler

GopherLady

Reaction score
I was just able to get quick updates from these guys:

Dakotah Tyler - he is currently leaning towards Purdue or Kentucky, and will decide soon. He had his Kentucky visit this weekend. Also of note - even though he had his official visit to the Gophers, he has not received a Minnesota offer as of this evening.
Kenny Watkins - he just had his IU visit this weekend (with Gainer) and it went well. He said that he would have a decision soon, but not indicate who he was leaning towards.
Jeremy Gainer - He plans to make his decision by early January. He doesn't want to carry it on longer than that. Minnesota is at the top of his list at the time, but he wants to make sure it's the right one by doing his research to ensure it will be a smooth transition. He also enjoyed their IU visit this weekend.

I was just able to get quick updates from these guys:

Dakotah Tyler - he is currently leaning towards Purdue or Kentucky, and will decide soon
Kenny Watkins - he just had his IU visit this weekend (with Gainer) and it went well. He said that he would have a decision soon, but not indicate who he was leaning towards.
Jeremy Gainer - He plans to make his decision by early January. He doesn't want to carry it on longer than that. Minnesota is at the top of his list at the time, but he wants to make sure it's the right one by doing his research to ensure it will be a smooth transition. He also enjoyed their IU visit this weekend.

Thanks GopherLady. I was just checking in to see if there were any developments on Gainer/Watkins.

I really liked the quote in the story from Gainer about what the Indiana coaches are looking for. It gives me more respect for their coaching staff that they are not providing too much pressure on the kid. Indiana is one of the last schools in the Big Ten that I would like to steal recruits from but Gainer would be a great addition to our defense. Did he give you any indication or where he stood with MSU now that they offered him last week?

Watkins told GI to call him at 5:00 tonight so hopefully he has a decision at that time. I like the fact that Gainer took his visit to Indiana and still said Minnesota is at the top of his list. It might be presumptious to assume that Watkins thought process is the same but I'm really hoping he changes his commitment tonight.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Thanks GopherLady. I was just checking in to see if there were any developments on Gainer/Watkins.

I really liked the quote in the story from Gainer about what the Indiana coaches are looking for. It gives me more respect for their coaching staff that they are not providing too much pressure on the kid. Indiana is one of the last schools in the Big Ten that I would like to steal recruits from but Gainer would be a great addition to our defense. Did he give you any indication or where he stood with MSU now that they offered him last week?

Watkins told GI to call him at 5:00 tonight so hopefully he has a decision at that time. I like the fact that Gainer took his visit to Indiana and still said Minnesota is at the top of his list. It might be presumptious to assume that Watkins thought process is the same but I'm really hoping he changes his commitment tonight.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Sorry, Grunkie - but that's all I've got for you, and since I've only met them once at the Iowa game, it's not like I have any real insight into reading them either. I had actually just given them the heads up that their article was up, and they were kind enough to offer some updates since they were just getting on their plane. They are flying back now.

Thanks for the updates GopherLady!!!

I like where we're at in terms of recruiting. I know that we don't have the sheer number of commitments that we had last year, but, we seem to be in good shape with almost all of our top targets right now.

Hopefully, we'll see positive results over the next few weeks and months!!!:)

What does GI stand for? and how are you getting info about these guys committing? THanks.

Gainer Update

First, nothing back on Watkins yet.

There is an update on Gainer on the Indiana rivals site.

He is not ready to make a decision yet. He has gained new interest from Iowa and Michigan State that have both offered and requested for him to visit. He does not sound interested in Iowa (I would hate to lose a recruit to them) but he wants to do more research on MSU before he decides whether to visit. He doesn't want to take January visits so a decision will likely come by Jan. 1.

The highlight of the article was Bill Lynch telling him that they don't just want to go to bowl games, they want to win championships at Indiana. And he was serious. :p

I feel comfortable that we have more to offer than Indiana and Brewster can do a better job of closing than Bill Lynch so Jeremy Gainer will eventually find his way to Minnesota.

Watkins Update

Watkins is not ready to commit but he didn't change his mind about which way he was leaning over the weeked. Ronnie Lee and possibly Brewster and Roof and are making a visit this week. I feel really good about the likelihood of Watkins committing while the coaches are in his house visiting and Gainer following him to Minnesota.

Top Bottom