Recommendations for a Beav in Minneapolis...?

KTGoBeavs86

Reaction score
Hey guys --

I will be in Minneapolis for the game, and was hoping for local recommendations on places to go pre-game. Rather than pre-game with other OSU fans, we like to head to local places, good crowds, cheap drinks.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the trip!

Near the stadium you got Stub and Herbs, Sally's, and The Big 10 (this one may or may not be packed, as it's closing its doors on labor day). Some places in Dinkytown too, bit of a walk, but it's a straight shot down the road from the stadium. I recommend you check out the band's plaza show about an hour to an hour and a half before kickoff. The band's schedule will get released closer to the game, and I'll be posting it here for those who don't follow their social media.

Hey guys --

I will be in Minneapolis for the game, and was hoping for local recommendations on places to go pre-game. Rather than pre-game with other OSU fans, we like to head to local places, good crowds, cheap drinks.

Without knowing when you'll be getting in, staying, ages, group demographics, etc. my recommendation is somewhat generic in nature, but I'm sure you'll pick up on it.

You can hit any of the bars in Dinkytown or Stadium Village and get the typical college bar experience. Nothing earth-shattering there and not a bad option in any way, shape or form. But if I were you, I would go to www.maps.google.com and type in "Minneapolis Northeast Bars". There are more bars and local breweries than I can list from north of Hennepin Avenue up to around Lowry Avenue. And even as far north as you would go, you're still within 5 miles of the stadium.

Make sure you have the Uber app installed and take off from there with some time to spare and maybe stop in at one of the bars really close to the stadium to top off. Beer is also served inside the stadium (a rarity for an on-campus facility).

You can go to virtually any campus and find the same type of bar that you would find here, but there are truly unique opportunities very close by in "Nordeast" that might make more of a lasting memory. If this idea appeals to you, you will find no shortage of advice on which spots to try to hit. Spoiler alert: You won't be able to get to every spot that people will list as a must-see.

Without knowing when you'll be getting in, staying, ages, group demographics, etc. my recommendation is somewhat generic in nature, but I'm sure you'll pick up on it.

You can hit any of the bars in Dinkytown or Stadium Village and get the typical college bar experience. Nothing earth-shattering there and not a bad option in any way, shape or form. But if I were you, I would go to www.maps.google.com and type in "Minneapolis Northeast Bars". There are more bars and local breweries than I can list from north of Hennepin Avenue up to around Lowry Avenue. And even as far north as you would go, you're still within 5 miles of the stadium.

Make sure you have the Uber app installed and take off from there with some time to spare and maybe stop in at one of the bars really close to the stadium to top off. Beer is also served inside the stadium (a rarity for an on-campus facility).

You can go to virtually any campus and find the same type of bar that you would find here, but there are truly unique opportunities very close by in "Nordeast" that might make more of a lasting memory. If this idea appeals to you, you will find no shortage of advice on which spots to try to hit. Spoiler alert: You won't be able to get to every spot that people will list as a must-see.

I second the "NordEast" neighborhood bars and microbreweries. A must when in Minneapolis. I hit it up every time I'm in the Cities.

I agree with what others have said.
Just a few suggestions in Northeast Minneapolis: Psycho Suzie's, Betty Dangers, Tony Jaros, Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit, The Bulldog (in no particular order).

On campus there's Blarney, Big Ten (closing soon but I think they'll still be open for this game), Stub and Herbs, and Sally's. Surly Brewery is really close to campus also.

There's Fulton Brewery in the northwest part of downtown Minneapolis (right off the light rail that will take you to campus).

Of course as Unregistered User says, Google will be your friend but you can probably get some good ideas about the places from Tripadvisor too.

If you're in town for an extra day or two, the Twins are in town and you can check out a great MLB stadium (not such a great team) at Target Field. The Minnesota State Fair is also going on. It's something like the 2nd or 3rd largest state fair in the country. Both Target Field and the State Fair are within 10 minutes of campus.

If you randomly start chanting "who hates Iowa?" you will make lots of friends with Gopher fans.

Love Nordeast Mpls! Will add the Surly brewery which is east of the stadium as another suggestion.

Love Nordeast Mpls! Will add the Surly brewery which is east of the stadium as another suggestion.

I love the brewpubs and bars in NE Minneapolis, and I frequent many of them, but it is unlikely that you'd be "hobnobbing" amongst a crowd headed for the game.

There's a Twins game and a Vikings game that night as well, so if you go to a place downtown, you'll be hanging out with Vikings fans rather than Gopher fans. And if you go to a place in the North Loop (such as Fulton or Inbound, which has better beer and a wider selection than Fulton IMO), you'll be hanging out with Twins and Vikings fans. If you want to mix with Gopher fans, stick to campus bars - Big Ten, Sally's or Stub & Herbs. Anywhere else and there won't be much for college football fans.

But if you have time to explore outside of the night of the game, NE Minneapolis and North Loop breweries, bars and restaurants are well worth checking out.

I love the brewpubs and bars in NE Minneapolis, and I frequent many of them, but it is unlikely that you'd be "hobnobbing" amongst a crowd headed for the game.

True Dat

Nordeast is one of my favorite places with lots of breweries in that area:

Dangerous Man, Indeed, Bauhaus, 612, Socialable Cider Werks, 56 Brewing, Fair State Brewing, Able Brewing, etc....all are quite close to one another and not very far from the stadium.

If looking for a great steak during your visit I must recommend Jax Cafe in NE and also enjoy Stanleys NE for typical beer and bar food. If you like distillery's then Tattersall and Norseman are good places in northeast.

Great suggestions by others as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, for pre game, I recommend staying by campus, if you want to explore a little before, good suggestions.

Personally, I'm a fan of Stubs, they have nice patio, reasonable priced beer (especially compared to BWW which I swear doubled their price last year)

Sallys is fun, but stubs is my place...granted, I end up usually hitting up

Big 10-> Sallys -> Stubs all in one session.

Dangerous Man in NE is great if you like beer. Bauhaus is fun. But again, I'm not really sure for pregame as you'd still have to get stadium either via Uber/public transport/drive and depending on time hit traffic due to other sporting events

Great stuff. Thanks everyone. We are getting into town on Wednesday, leaving Saturday afternoon. I definitely want to check out 'NordEast', and we are heading to the Twins-Sox game on Friday. Think we'll stick to the campus bars Thursday afternoon. Really looking forward it.

Thanks again! See y'all in two weeks.

Great stuff. Thanks everyone. We are getting into town on Wednesday, leaving Saturday afternoon. I definitely want to check out 'NordEast', and we are heading to the Twins-Sox game on Friday. Think we'll stick to the campus bars Thursday afternoon. Really looking forward it.

Get a cab and tell them "take me to the Nineties!" When you get there, just stand at the bar and wait for someone to push in your stool. The patrons there are very courteous!

Thanks for checking in and have fun! We hope to see many OSU fans in town. Looking forward to Corvallis next year.

It's named the GAY Nineties. I don't think further comment is warranted.

For the Twins game pre-game, I'd recommend Pizza Luce ($3.50 Summit pints on game days - Summit is another local beer). Or try Fulton brewery (they have food trucks). Fulton is better than Inbound - don't listen to that other guy!

Stub and Herbs has good beer selection, Sally's is solid. Both genuine campus bars where you should see get the everyday Gopher experience. Hope you enjoy the game, thanks for making the trip.

Hey guys --

If you have not found a place to stay yet, I'd try the Commons Hotel (otherwise stay at on one of the big Downtown Minneapolis Hotels there is no need for a car), a nice former Radisson right on Campus, 3 blocks from the stadium in Stadium Village. It is also right next to the place where this

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/

used to be. There is a hotel bar and the non- typical Applebees in the Hotel right on campus that is not an awful place to visit on gameday. They bar seats are OK, and there are tables outside looking out on the train line and Washington Avenue. You also can walk into the Alumni Center on the way to the stadium where they have several full service bars and food service.

There will be lots of Gopher fans in the large, open atrium of the Alumni Center, and many Gopher Fans in all the places mentioned near Campus, even the Applebees, which again I view as a sneaky alternative to the high profile places.

In that area you can visit easily some of the other places mentioned, including the Big Ten, Sally, Stub and Herbs, Bar Luchidor, and the Buffalo Wild Wings.

The Buffalo Wild Wings can be awful or it be great. It has the advantage of being right next the stadium with a big outdoor beer garden with a view of a stadium replay board. It is also in a very old Fire Hall that used to host more interesting bars. They do have a great deal of very solid beer inside the Fire Hall, but out in the beer garden it is crap.

I'd probably hit up downtown mid afternoon where there be slew of people (Viking, Twins fans) in the South Nicollet mall area and even in the Warehouse District, then move over to Campus around 5 or so. The Band will start the stadium pregame around 7:40 or so and I'd try to get to your seats for that.

You might want to head a few blocks Northwest of the stadium to Dinkytown. There will be lots of fans and some ex players even in The Library and the Blarney Pub. The beer might even be cheap in those places. Walking over to Dinkytown has some advantages. You can follow University Avenue up to Dinkytown and you will see a lot of campus "texture" as you pass by several historic fraternity houses. You also can walk into the thick of the campus and see The Mall, which is lined by old academic buildings, and anchored by the Student Union on the South and a very large 90 plus year old Northrup Auditorum on the North side near Dinkytown.

For the Twins game pre-game, I'd recommend Pizza Luce ($3.50 Summit pints on game days - Summit is another local beer). Or try Fulton brewery (they have food trucks). Fulton is better than Inbound - don't listen to that other guy!

You must work for Fulton as they are now the worst in that area. Inbound and Modist are both much better and have cooler spaces to go along with their better beer. They all have food trucks.

If you want to tailgate on campus as a visitor, I would recommend the Goal Line Club Tailgate Party at Williams Arena, directly across the street from TCF Stadium: www.goallineclub.com
Non-Member Tailgate vs. Oregon State
$40.00

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Put on your game face and Huddle Up with the Goal Line Club on the east side of Williams Arena for a pre-game tailgate party. From a touchdown pass away, you can take in the view of TCF Bank Stadium as you and fellow fans enjoy an array of delicious food, a full bar and plenty of Golden Gopher football talk.

Your name will be placed on our guest list when you register online. Tickets will not be distributed.

The tailgate party starts three hours before kick off.

[Registration for this event closes at 1:00pm on Monday, August 29, 2016.]

If you can get in try Surly's Brewhall and Restaurant, you can walk to the game or hop on the light rail for the four or five blocks to the stadium, get there early though, it will be a wait but you can pound a few in the interim.

My basement has a twin size bed and a laundry room. Rent is fair and no lease is necessary. Stay as long as you want! Walls a-plenty. Hang posters of Gary Payton, Sara Underwood, Harry Gunner, T.J. Whoosmenzahhdeah, and Jacquizz Rodgers. Don't even think about hanging a Nick Barnett poster though. lol, just kidding! But seriously......I'll tear it down real quick. We are a pet friendly area. Neighbors have dogs....but I'm sure that they would be more than happy to have some beavers around.....as long as they don't bite too hard. Quick money making scheme.....I hear some of the frat fellas are looking for beavers which seems weird to me, Guy Normal. But back to the point.....I think we could rent your beaver out to the scholars and make a few bucks. Think about it!

My basement has a twin size bed and a laundry room.

Pretty much expect this:

17be97.jpg

If you can get in try Surly's Brewhall and Restaurant, you can walk to the game or hop on the light rail for the four or five blocks to the stadium, get there early though, it will be a wait but you can pound a few in the interim.

Agreed. The Surly Brewhall and outdoor area are beautiful. Especially enticing on a crisp fall day for a polar bear like me that likes cooler weather.

Surly will be mostly Vikings fans that night, though, so it isn't necessarily a good choice for someone who wants to hang out with college football fans.

I have a feeling that there will be lots of college football fans, I'll give a report. But, even if you're right, Surly is hard to beat in these important areas: good food, an awesome outdoor area, a great indoor area, and of course, fresh Surly on tap in all sorts of varieties!

Top Bottom