Receivers

i don't think the move to D was based on skill...he has had both ACLs replaced. He can't take the wear and tear (right now at least) of playing offense. Returns and back up DD seem to work.

A lot has to do with injury but he was also very average during the year he spent at Receiver before he got hurt. Everyone drools over his speed but as has been discussed in this thread a receiver needs more than just speed. I agree that for Jones his role as a returner/backup DB is probably a perfect fit for him. Keeps the wear and tear down by not being on the field full time and clearly he still has very good straight line speed which is what you need as a kick returner.

+1 Good route running, which includes fakes and cuts, is key for separation.

There is a lot more to separation than quickness, speed, explosion, cuts, fakes, etc.

Find a defensive coordinator, defensive backfield and set of linebackers so intently focused on stopping a vicious running attack, and you'll quickly see how much easier separation starts to appear. In fact, that's exactly what's happened to the Gopher defense the past 30 years.

Also, route designs and play calling at the right time have just as much or more to do with it. You have to confuse the d-backs, exploit weaknesses, utilize the tight end and backs well down field, find seams in zone coverage. Another huge factor for creating separation is more time in the pocket. Our pass protection has been underwhelming the last 2 seasons and yesterday. UNLV created separation repeatedly, not because their receivers were so explosive, but because their play calling exploited the way we play pass defense.

All true. However I was referring to what an individual receiver can do to create separation.

I think Engle would be the first to admit he should have caught the ball on the 5 yard line. That said, on the interception, the ball was under thrown into double coverage. That ball should have been thrown to the outside shoulder. On the play after the interference call the ball was again under thrown. Engle would have more success on deep balls if Nelson would put more air under the ball and get it out there for Engle to go get it. Personally I think Engle is more effective on crossing routes.

Listening to what Kill said today it is clear he is begging for a wr to step up. I'm guessing he is even more direct about it in practice. If someone is capable of doing it they will get their chance for sure. I am thinking you will see a lot more of the Fr next Saturday.

Good Points

There is a lot more to separation than quickness, speed, explosion, cuts, fakes, etc.

Find a defensive coordinator, defensive backfield and set of linebackers so intently focused on stopping a vicious running attack, and you'll quickly see how much easier separation starts to appear. In fact, that's exactly what's happened to the Gopher defense the past 30 years.

Also, route designs and play calling at the right time have just as much or more to do with it. You have to confuse the d-backs, exploit weaknesses, utilize the tight end and backs well down field, find seams in zone coverage. Another huge factor for creating separation is more time in the pocket. Our pass protection has been underwhelming the last 2 seasons and yesterday. UNLV created separation repeatedly, not because their receivers were so explosive, but because their play calling exploited the way we play pass defense.

These are some well founded points you brought up. I personally thought a large part of the 1st half all patterns the WRs ran seemed to be fly patterns and not post or slants which are tougher for DBs to cover.
In defense of Engel, the ball intercepted was double coverage. I didn't see any other WRs as an option on that play.on. Also Engel was wide open a couple of times and the ball was under thrown. I have been to practices and have witnessed both Engel and Fruechte prove they were the
best receivers. I feel they don't make use of their tight ends nearly enough. They hardly threw a pass over the middle last night. Maxx Williams is big time all ready. He is a very good blocker too.
I was much more underwhelmed by the lack of running game. I want more creativity in play calling.

'We'd have to be lucky and get a stud upper echelon WR recruit that is a game breaker in the next recruiting class that can actually contribute immediately. Andre McDonald, Jamel Harbison - we have yet to see their potential. Marcus Jones is now on special teams and defense.

Did the coaching staff look at Drew Wolitarski's QB in HS? 'Just thought I'd ask.

Top Bottom