Receiver Help

Reaction score
Much has been said about Tanner Morgan's digression from 2019 to 2021 in terms of Completion % and TD's and possible reasons for it. Hopefully a change in OC will make a huge difference. I believe another change that will dramatically improve his numbers is having receivers that he can throw to that have the mindset and mental/physical make-up to make catches over the middle. A large percentage of Morgan's throws this year seemed to be sideline routes that tended to be deeper where there isn't as much window for error. I thought Dylan Wright would be the answer but he seemed hesitant during the majority of the year. CAB is a great receiver, but he along with Stephens and Jackson have durability issues. Back in 2019 Tyler Johnson made a living off the slant pass. He could take that hit whereas in 2021 it took until the end of the year until Morgan starting getting the ball to Spann-Ford over the middle where we had a lot of success. I'm hoping Fleck can grab a WR from either the Portal or a Transfer that is willing and able to catch passes in the middle of the field.

Always PJs job to get better players.

Having said that, I'd like to see how the Sanford free offense runs too. Like maybe don't have the WRs run 5 yards into coverage and sit ... WRs need to do better but if the playcall is to do that, can't break free if the play doesn't allow for it too.

We need some receivers who can get separation and get open. It seems that a lot of our pass plays were to heave it up to autumn-bell and pray he gets it. This was the same for Dylan Wright.

We need some guys who can separate better.

Personally I don't think there was an issue with the WRs.

It just seemed like the route tree had some serious pruning done to it. We did not see a lot of intermediate routes anywhere, or even short or deep in the middle of the field.

Yes, I know we threw "some" slants, or combinations, but from my observations, the passing game relied heavily on the outside, and short or deep. Far too heavily.

It just seemed like the route tree had some serious pruning done to it. We did not see a lot of intermediate routes anywhere, or even short or deep in the middle of the field.

Yes, I know we threw "some" slants, or combinations, but from my observations, the passing game relied heavily on the outside, and short or deep. Far too heavily.
It's all about rhythm, people focus too much on the deep stuff to Johnson and Bateman; the last two years we redevoid of rhythm and intermediate routes. The entire offense looked like it was intentionally built to play to the weaknesses of Morgan and the receivers.

Wonder if the route "tree"/combos/structure/scheme was too complicated.

Thinking back to what supposedly (semi-confirmed by Fleck in some comments, I believe) was the reason for Robb Smith's failure was he made guys think too much, so "paralysis by analysis".

But this could easily be disproven by someone who actually watches the routes and knows that. I don't know much about routes and receiving in general. It's kind of a black magic to me, ha!

The other part though, sorry to say but, I saw too many times this year where Tanner threw behind guys. Maybe TJ and Bateman just made those catches anyway. Maybe the routes we were running in 2019 helped with that. Don't know.

Maybe that cleaned up a bit in some of the games. Maybe 2019 Tanner just somehow got into "god mode" with his accuracy, and has regressed to the mean in 2020 and 2021. Maybe a mixture of all this stuff.

Much has been said about Tanner Morgan's digression from 2019 to 2021 in terms of Completion % and TD's and possible reasons for it. Hopefully a change in OC will make a huge difference. I believe another change that will dramatically improve his numbers is having receivers that he can throw to that have the mindset and mental/physical make-up to make catches over the middle. A large percentage of Morgan's throws this year seemed to be sideline routes that tended to be deeper where there isn't as much window for error. I thought Dylan Wright would be the answer but he seemed hesitant during the majority of the year. CAB is a great receiver, but he along with Stephens and Jackson have durability issues. Back in 2019 Tyler Johnson made a living off the slant pass. He could take that hit whereas in 2021 it took until the end of the year until Morgan starting getting the ball to Spann-Ford over the middle where we had a lot of success. I'm hoping Fleck can grab a WR from either the Portal or a Transfer that is willing and able to catch passes in the middle of the field.
Or was it opponents knew we lived on those slant plays and they were determined to defense us to throw sideline passes? I do agree we seemed to lack the receivers willing to go over the middle, take the hit and hold on on a consistent basis.

Thinking back to what supposedly (semi-confirmed by Fleck in some comments, I believe) was the reason for Robb Smith's failure was he made guys think too much, so "paralysis by analysis".

But this could easily be disproven by someone who actually watches the routes and knows that. I don't know much about routes and receiving in general. It's kind of a black magic to me, ha!

The other part though, sorry to say but, I saw too many times this year where Tanner threw behind guys. Maybe TJ and Bateman just made those catches anyway. Maybe the routes we were running in 2019 helped with that. Don't know.

Maybe that cleaned up a bit in some of the games. Maybe 2019 Tanner just somehow got into "god mode" with his accuracy, and has regressed to the mean in 2020 and 2021. Maybe a mixture of all this stuff.
I'm definitely not pinning the downturn in our passing game entirely on the receivers as you correctly stated, Morgan missed on many throws. Just feel his completion % greatly suffered by the
limited routes that we ran.

I believe if Boyd was given the opportunity he would go across the middle,
he's not afraid of contact.
He'll get his chance. Don't worry!

On his podcast, Ryan Burns was always talking about the routes and how long they took to develop. It was a bad scheme.

I think we have several quality WRs, plus BSF at TE who, when finally given an opportunity by the OC, showed how valuable he can be as a receiver. I bet that our WRs, including some we didn't see much of this year, and our TEs (including possibly Geers), will be just fine if the schemes are right given our QB's skills and weaknesses. I believe this year's aberrant passing performance was a coaching more than skill/talent problem.

Still believe the loss of Mo and then Potts had a huge impact on the passing game in that pass blocking by the backs really has to be taught. We had kids back there for most of the season.

Both Thomas and Bucko got better toward the end but Mo for sure was a very good blocker. Not dismissing any other points but this is part of the equation this year too. Fortunately with both Mo and Tanner coming back, there's new data to collect next season.

I don't think it is a WR issue or concern. Wright is not an across the middle receiver. CAB is in the right situations. Jackson and Brown-Stephens are definitely the slant/across the middle receivers. I feel Gophs are pretty stout at WR for 2022.

Still believe the loss of Mo and then Potts had a huge impact on the passing game in that pass blocking by the backs really has to be taught. We had kids back there for most of the season.

Both Thomas and Bucko got better toward the end but Mo for sure was a very good blocker. Not dismissing any other points but this is part of the equation this year too. Fortunately with both Mo and Tanner coming back, there's new data to collect next season.
Have to disagree. The passing game was shite every week after that OSU game until late season changes, so I'm not sure you can draw much of a distinction between the 3rd year guy (Potts) and the freshmen. There was probably a brief learning curve, but as we saw against Wisconsin, Thomas and Irving are plenty capable of picking up blitzes already. Seemed like most games, the LT was the weakest link in pass protection.

My opinion on the impotent passing game was that it was mostly due to an unbending commitment to a bad scheme, poor game management, and a certain degree of QB incompetence (some or much of which was related to the first two issues).

It takes two to tango. Tanner has to find rhythm for the short and intermediate passes. The Wide Receivers need to help Tanner out by getting themselves open. They need to come back and make themselves open when a play breaks down.

Route running has to be done with a purpose not going thru the motion.

They should be giving Athan lots of reps. It is now the Morgan and Athan show with a healthy dose of Kramer in the wildcat.

We have to start embracing the post-Morgan Era. It is coming.

Spann-Ford has been criminally UNDER-utilized. He's an outstanding athlete, has soft hands...and should be featured in every game we play.
TE PASSING!!!

qbXfLGo.gif

Have to disagree. The passing game was shite every week after that OSU game until late season changes, so I'm not sure you can draw much of a distinction between the 3rd year guy (Potts) and the freshmen. There was probably a brief learning curve, but as we saw against Wisconsin, Thomas and Irving are plenty capable of picking up blitzes already. Seemed like most games, the LT was the weakest link in pass protection.

My opinion on the impotent passing game was that it was mostly due to an unbending commitment to a bad scheme, poor game management, and a certain degree of QB incompetence (some or much of which was related to the first two issues).
I gave a like 6 to 8 because I agree with you. By Wisconsin the "kids" were performing better. Mo went down in the 3rd Quarter of Game 1. Certainly the pass blocking was off big time for BG...and really should have been mostly addressed by Illinois, but was not for probably multiple reasons, including inconsistent O-Line play.

I think we both agree it was a good call for the OC to be fired. We probably disagree on how much is attributable to Tanner who obviously performed poorly in several games. Regardless, now up to Coach to decide what to do to improve our best.

I'm hoping the Bowl Game gives us a sense of what the problem was. At least for the passing game, both Indiana and Wisconsin looked better, which hopefully is a sign of things to come.

It takes two to tango. Tanner has to find rhythm for the short and intermediate passes. The Wide Receivers need to help Tanner out by getting themselves open. They need to come back and make themselves open when a play breaks down.

Route running has to be done with a purpose not going thru the motion.

They should be giving Athan lots of reps. It is now the Morgan and Athan show with a healthy dose of Kramer in the wildcat.

We have to start embracing the post-Morgan Era. It is coming.
All great points, I'm sure.

The concept of "getting open" is an interesting one to me.

For example, if you are a receiver and you start running towards a DB in man coverage on you .... then you break (turn) one way or the other, even if the DB is running right with you, technically you are "open".

If the QB just throws the ball far enough in front of you that you don't have to break stride at all, then there is nothing the DB can do except tackle you before the ball gets there, which is PI.

Obviously far easier to say than do. The reason DB's can play a ball is that the receiver has to slow down for the pass, giving them time to close and stick a hand/arm in there.

The best QB's are the ones that are masters at leading their receivers.

There was 100% an issue with wideouts.
3 of the 4 most talented guys missed multiple games.

it’s hard to build consistency in the passing game that way.

All great points, I'm sure.

The concept of "getting open" is an interesting one to me.

For example, if you are a receiver and you start running towards a DB in man coverage on you .... then you break (turn) one way or the other, even if the DB is running right with you, technically you are "open".

If the QB just throws the ball far enough in front of you that you don't have to break stride at all, then there is nothing the DB can do except tackle you before the ball gets there, which is PI.

Obviously far easier to say than do. The reason DB's can play a ball is that the receiver has to slow down for the pass, giving them time to close and stick a hand/arm in there.

The best QB's are the ones that are masters at leading their receivers.

You watch how Tom Brady operates. He has a good rapport with Gronkowski and his WRs through communication and the receivers knowing how to get open when to break away on a notched play. They know where Tom Brady likes to throw the ball in pressing situations against the defense. Sometimes, Brady throws the ball where only Gronkowski can catch it.

We will soon see how Tanner Morgan is with a new OC. What is more exciting is seeing Athan who is mobile play. Morgan returning definitely will help the WRs & TEs.

I hope that the new OC is a dynamic coach who knows how to adjust the game plan. I like to see the passing game improve dramatically over this season. If the Special Teams issues are fixed, the Gophers are going to win tough and close games more often with an offense that can be run-heavy, pass-heavy, or more balanced depending on the strength and weaknesses of the opponents. For sure, the Gophers base offense is TOP. But, they better be strong in both the run and the pass if they want separation from the mid-tier of the Big Ten. There are no gimmes. Sanford Jr. IMHO either took BGSU and Illinois for granted or does not respect them.

It is tough knowing how close the Gophers are going to Indianapolis. If they only had won one more game.

Offered today, in portal from New Mexico St.

Top Bottom