Recap: SDSU Coach with Dan B

rovert M

Reaction score
SDSU coach was on with barreiro. Barreiro would like nothing more than to see Gophs lose. Here is a rough recap:

They will start frosh qb, O’Brien. O’brien lost his first game and then won the next three, they lost the last game with sr (Crawford), so they are back to frosh. QB’s are both drop back players, and won’t run the football. O’Brien has a much stronger arm. Want to give the MN kid a shot in his home state. Says he is very even keeled, and you wouldn’t know if he made a big play because he doesn’t get excited.

Key to making this a ball game: not get rattled, stay the course. MN D will make big plays. Need to get their punts off. Play a field position game by getting some first downs and moving the ball. MN offense can make big plays, and Jacks need to respond if that happens. They can’t let MN qb throw the ball 45 yards.

We are as boring as a football team gets. 1-0 mentality. Focus on getting better each week.

Can’t hyperventilate like they did with 6 turnovers @ IA State last year. Goal is to play a good football game against a Big Ten team and see what happens.

Dan tried bating him into commenting on Brewster’s quote about 'not worth playing these games against Sodak and Nodak for recruiting reasons'. He didn’t really take it, but did say “didn’t work out well for them against NDSU”. This is a big game for SDSU. Dan of course loved this.

On Offense: they will take what MN D gives them. Will use a ton on shifts, motions, and formations. Promises they will play hard ALL GAME LONG. Dan mentioned this is something we don’t see around here and acted like he had just heard the best idea ever, and took yet another shot at Brewster.

Chad Greenway called in since he was recruited by SDSU and is from there. He respects SDSU coach because he told him to take the Iowa offer, and told him if it didn’t work out he had a spot for him.

Coach said senior class has very good leadership. He expects a good showing in terms of SDSU fans getting into the stadium.

Thinks his guys will be challenged.

He is concerned about how nice he has heard the stadium is and how he hopes the guys get the gawking out of the way on Friday so they can just play on Saturday. Noted they have played in nice places before.

Hopes his team can make the Jacks fans cheer, and can “make the Gopher fans make noise the Gophers don’t want to hear”. No pressure on SDSU. Pressure is on Gophers.

I love how Stig mildly countered Brewster's asinine comment of comparing the value of this game to the one verse NDSU, the one which WE LOST, which ultimately cost Mason his job.

Coach Brewster, thread lightly...

I love how Stig mildly countered Brewster's asinine comment of comparing the value of this game to the one verse NDSU, the one which WE LOST, which ultimately cost Mason his job.

Coach Brewster, thread lightly...

yawn.

by the way it is "tread" lightly. not "thread" lightly. at least get it right if you are going to take shots at coach brewster.

p.s. brewster was the coach of the 2007 ndsu game which minnesota lost, not glen mason. other than all of that what a wonderful and accurate post, as usual. :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting, tread lightly Coach Brewster.

Hey, Brewster has an tremendously outstanding chance to improve his career record to .500 vs. D-IAA teams.

I expect a complete thrashing of the Coyotes!

Hey, Brewster has an tremendously outstanding chance to improve his career record to .500 vs. D-IAA teams.

Idiot! We're the Aztecs! Geez, get it straight.

Thanks for the recap rovert M. I caught the last portion of the interview and in the minute or two I could definitely tell that Danny B was gushing at the thought of an SDSU win. That guy loves to hear his own voice.

Go Gophers!!

Ok. If I wasn't from Wisconsin I would start calling you the Badgers. However I think I shall now call you the hawkeyes. Give us at least enough respect to know our name for chipes sake.

Ok. If I wasn't from Wisconsin I would start calling you the Badgers. However I think I shall now call you the hawkeyes. Give us at least enough respect to know our name for chipes sake.

it was sarcasm from art. learn how to detect it (your sdsu buddy did) or chill out bud.

Also heard Dip*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# Dan say that the Gophers shouldn't be able to be bowl eligible with a win over SDSU. Of course he didn't say this to the SDSU coaches face.
Of course he forgets that Wisconsin played Wofford and a powerhouse like Penn State played Temple and E. Illinois.

He also in a round about way was ripping on playing SDSU so late in the season.

I'm so tired of these anti-gopher bashers having tunnel vision. Dan...the Gophers HAVE to play 4 non conference games. This game is in November and not September because it was the Gophers week to not have a Big Ten game. There are 11 teams now and not 10. You either get a bye or have a non conference game the week you don't play another team.

I just wish these guys would take the blinders off and look around and analyze the rest of the Big Ten before jumping to all the conclusions that the Gophers are the only ones scheduling these types of games. It really gets old.

The lack of knowledge about college football from media pundits in this market is so glaring it's downright embarassing.

Randy Shaver is on the 93x morning show ever day and on Monday and Tuesday he was ripping Brewster non-stop. His big gripe was that if MN beats SDSU then Brewster will puff out his chest and brag that they are bowl eligible and don't deserve to be. Whenever Shaver talks college football you can tell his research into the sport was nothing more than reading a boxscore every Sunday morning.

a powerhouse like Penn State played Temple
I don't get the relevance here in the context of the rest of your post. Temple is in the MAC, not I-AA, and they will go to a bowl game this year. They couldn't be more dissimilar to SDSU, Wofford, and Eastern Illinois.

I'll sporadically tune into Barreiro's show a couple of times a week just in case he has an interesting guest on. I missed the SDSU coach but listened for about 15 minutes because Dan was working very hard on two bits. One was "Jackrabbit Week" where he was mocking the Gophers for playing SDSU now leaving out several facts: a lot of schools have a game like this; the effect an 11 school conference has on the schedule; and Brewster has significantly toughened up his schedule. The other bit was "Gopher Police Blotter" where he seemed to take real pleasure over the recent incidents. Not sure if you can actually tell on the radio, but he almost sounded aroused over the fact White was again a suspect.

What was interesting to me were references to GopherHole threads like the one about people between the 20 yard lines and the ones about fans standing. It's obvious he has read or is aware of the posts here that are critical of him. Now he has to fill those hours each day so he needs bits, but with Barreiro you get the feeling it becomes personal very quickly. For someone who has billboards around touting when "The Savagery Begins", the guy is really petulant when criticism is aimed at him. The Gophers losing would give him more material, but Barreiro would also like it because he thinks it would crush ardent fans who've had the temerity to be critical of him.

Barreiro turned me off as a regular listener long ago. Even in the brief time I was tuned in, you could tell he really had no knowledge of Gopher sports which is fine unless you're a radio host ripping the program. His sidekick, whom I sort of enjoyed as a smartass, stepped in a couple of times with basic facts like whom we had played and the names of players to save Dan.

Nothing you can do about people like him or the sensationalism in the papers except have players stay out of trouble and start winning consistently. (And boycott--interspersed with his pathetic savagery were several requests to email KFAN or log onto their website. Internet hits are becoming an evaluative tool evidently.)

I don't get the relevance here in the context of the rest of your post. Temple is in the MAC, not I-AA, and they will go to a bowl game this year. They couldn't be more dissimilar to SDSU, Wofford, and Eastern Illinois.

they'll go to a bowl for the first time in how long? as long as i can remember temple has been one of the classic doormats. they were absolutely <b>brutal</b> for a looooooong time.

they'll go to a bowl for the first time in how long? as long as i can remember temple has been one of the classic doormats. they were absolutely <b>brutal</b> for a looooooong time.

Yes, that's great. But the whole point of the post was talking about playing I-AA schools. Temple has never been, nor will ever be, a I-AA school. Good job at missing the point.

Yes, that's great. But the whole point of the post was talking about playing I-AA schools. Temple has never been, nor will ever be, a I-AA school. Good job at missing the point.

Over time the best 1-AA schools are comparable or better than lower 1-A schools.

Over time the best 1-AA schools are comparable or better than lower 1-A schools.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but how is that even remotely germane to the discussion? Thanks in advance!

What was interesting to me were references to GopherHole threads like the one about people between the 20 yard lines and the ones about fans standing. It's obvious he has read or is aware of the posts here that are critical of him. Now he has to fill those hours each day so he needs bits, but with Barreiro you get the feeling it becomes personal very quickly. For someone who has billboards around touting when "The Savagery Begins", the guy is really petulant when criticism is aimed at him. The Gophers losing would give him more material, but Barreiro would also like it because he thinks it would crush ardent fans who've had the temerity to be critical of him.

Barreiro is definitely the most thin-skinned commentator. The guy had the comments on his blog disabled because too many people were disagreeing with him.

Well, I just hope Coyote Nation has a safe drive from Sioux Falls....

i didn't miss anything. some 1-AA schools are better than some BCS schools. it's a fact. your almighty temple owls lost to 1-AA villanova this year.

i didn't miss anything. some 1-AA schools are better than some BCS schools. it's a fact. your almighty temple owls lost to 1-AA villanova this year.

Once again, how is that relevant?

Let me speak slowly:

The entire point of the post was that Minnesota is not alone in playing I-AA schools, and then he cited other I-AA schools that Big Ten teams have played this year.

I am not disputing that top I-AA schools are often better than the bottom I-A schools, nor am I saying that Temple is some powerhouse. But to even bring up Temple in the discussion is pointless and irrelevant.

Jiminy Christmas.

Also, now you're bringing BCS schools into it. Way to muddle a fairly simple situation even more.

The lack of knowledge about college football from media pundits in this market is so glaring it's downright embarassing.

Randy Shaver is on the 93x morning show ever day and on Monday and Tuesday he was ripping Brewster non-stop. His big gripe was that if MN beats SDSU then Brewster will puff out his chest and brag that they are bowl eligible and don't deserve to be. Whenever Shaver talks college football you can tell his research into the sport was nothing more than reading a boxscore every Sunday morning.

isn't randy shaver from iowa originally? i think he is. also, he went to iowa state. could explain a lot about him and his general "negativity" towards the u of m sports programs. iirc, he has never been very supportive nor has he devoted much air-time to the u of m on KARE11 where he is the sports director. thank god for eric perkins. the only time you really hear about the u is when perkins is doing sports instead of shaver.

never, ever been a fan of shaver's reporting. he is about as fun as watching paint dry.

random question: why do we have what seems like so many tv reporters and tv sports reporters in this town who are from wisconsin and to a lesser extent iowa originally? they really need to get some native minnesota blood in those seats.

True. These morons are poisoning the natural fanbase for the Gophers. Just listened to the Maturi/Jackrabbits Coach interviews from Pat R.'s show. His sidekick's question for the coach... "What's this FCS? Is that kind of like the BCS?".

The coach had to be thinking, "Who the hell are these idiots they put on the radio in the Twin Cities?"

And these are the people who are informing our pool of potential fans about the day's college football topics.

Dan B. is a blowhard who loves nothing more than to hear himself speak and to rile up the masses. Don't take anything he says seriously.

Dan Barreiro is a cynical, sarcastic, jackass with very little knowledge of Gopher athletics. He's constantly asking how to pronounce certain players' names and who the Gophers are playing next. He would like nothing more than to see all Gopher sports fail. He'll run with ANYTHING negative about the Minnesota program and beat it into the ground. He has this way of making fun of Minnesota that just drives me crazy! If he hates Minnesota sports so much, why doesn't he leave?

Top Bottom