Recap of Pitino interview on 1500: talked 1st practice, Joey King, operating in chaos

Let's not get into the shoes/without shoes b.s. again. We play the game with shoes, so there should be no further need to indicate w/wo shoes.

Well then, with or without wool socks?

Let's not get into the shoes/without shoes b.s. again.

If you look at the draft combine numbers you see how inaccurately most players heights are listed and numbers are rounded up or down an inch +/- with shoes, so yes without shoes/true height is relevant.

We play the game with shoes, so there should be no further need to indicate w/wo shoes.

They play football with pads, do they weigh them with pads? Measure them in cleats?

Howdy all. Long time Gopher fan, recent Drake graduate. Big fan of both Gopher and Bulldogs basketball, and I'd like my first post to be a bit about Joey, as I watched him play all last year.

To begin, don't expect Joey to start. He didn't start the majority of his games at Drake, and Drake last year was nowhere near Big Ten level. Joey is skinny and soft, so don't expect him to be someone who can bang down low. Pretty terrible defender too. Looked lost out there a lot. Maybe that was the whole freshman thing, but he didn't seem to get better throughout the season. Good outside shooter, as I'm sure you've seen. Funny pumpfake though. You'll see (unless a coach fixes it)

The thing about Joey is that I think he will improve. His head coach at Drake (Mark Phelps) was... how shall we put this... no good at all. Pitino will be a much better coach, so Joey will improve because of it. Will he improve enough to be a B1G starter? I don't think so. I think he will play, log some decent minutes, but if Joey is starting this year... the team may be in rough shape.

I also found it odd that he is trying to get a hardship waiver to play right away, but was considering transferring to Creighton (which would have been a stab in the back to Drake fans, as Creighton was our most hated conference rival)

Howdy all. Long time Gopher fan, recent Drake graduate. Big fan of both Gopher and Bulldogs basketball, and I'd like my first post to be a bit about Joey, as I watched him play all last year.

To begin, don't expect Joey to start. He didn't start the majority of his games at Drake, and Drake last year was nowhere near Big Ten level. Joey is skinny and soft, so don't expect him to be someone who can bang down low. Pretty terrible defender too. Looked lost out there a lot. Maybe that was the whole freshman thing, but he didn't seem to get better throughout the season. Good outside shooter, as I'm sure you've seen. Funny pumpfake though. You'll see (unless a coach fixes it)

The thing about Joey is that I think he will improve. His head coach at Drake (Mark Phelps) was... how shall we put this... no good at all. Pitino will be a much better coach, so Joey will improve because of it. Will he improve enough to be a B1G starter? I don't think so. I think he will play, log some decent minutes, but if Joey is starting this year... the team may be in rough shape.

I also found it odd that he is trying to get a hardship waiver to play right away, but was considering transferring to Creighton (which would have been a stab in the back to Drake fans, as Creighton was our most hated conference rival)

Thanks for the post. It seems consistent with what we've heard from other Drake fans. If Joey turns into a solid role player that consistently gives us 12-14 minutes per game and can stretch the D as a shooting 4, then it was a good pick-up.

Very good report from an anti-Joey fan.

I wouldn't call myself an anti-Joey guy. Us Drake fans were expecting to see him as a big contributor to our team next year. I saw Joey becoming one of those impressive mid-major guys you see in the NCAA tournament lighting it up against a power conference team. Now I see him as someone who will get his minutes at the U but won't be a star. Looking forward to watching him develop under a better coach!

And it's not like I can be all that mad at him for transferring from my alma mater, because he came to my original favorite team :)

I was out last weekend and ran into both Mo and Buggs and I have to say they both look considerably different. Mo has certainly slimmed down and you can definitely tell. Buggs is finally starting to put some muscle on and it's beginning to show.

If they can both keep that up, they seem like they will fit right into Pitino's system.

I'm looking forward to 'it' not being reffered to as ''Pitino's system" and becoming known as "Gopher Basketball".

Top Bottom