Reasons for players with remaining eligibility to return

hungan1

Reaction score
1. Unfinished business - Win the Big Ten West outright.

2. Mo Ibrahim is returning to part the waters one last time and possibly doing a Heisman pose.

3. Complete that master's degree.

4. Tanner Morgan decides to return.

5. Wipe the grin off Kirk’s face and face-stomp Iowa in Iowa City at The Bank.

Last edited:

1. Unfinished business - Win the Big Ten West outright.

2. Mo Ibrahim is retuning to part the waters one last time, and possibly doing a Heisman pose.

3. Complete that masters degree.

4. Tanner Morgan decides to return.

5. Wipe the grin off Kirk’s face and face-stomp Iowa in Iowa City.
#5. We play Iowa at home next year!

Glad Mo came out first with the announcement he is coming back. Might give those guys on the fence another reason to consider coming back for another go. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days/weeks as guys make decisions.

Why would Tanner Morgan not return?

I guess some possible reasons might be:
- to get on with his life (he got married within the past year, right?)
- the fans/media in the Twin Cities have taken the joy out of football for him
- he has physical issues that we are unaware of

On the other hand, if he does want to be a coach some day (which I believe I have heard to be his aspirations), another season on the team would be more on the job learning. Plus, even if he had a mediocre season, I suspect that he would end up breaking pretty much every passing record, right? If he had an outstanding season, I could see an NFL team picking him up to be a backup QB.

Everybody is going to have their own reasons for deciding one way or another. Everybody's situation is different and in many cases it won't have much to do with football. For every person on the fence, I'm sure they'll put an appropriate amount of thought into it and make the decision that's best for them and their families. There are myriad factors to consider, not an easy decision

2022 will be a more difficult conf schedule, going to suddenly revived Mich St and going to down but not out Penn St. Plus Rutgers at home (Schiano vs mentee).

In Madison to defend the Axe (when is the last time they defended the Axe in Madison???)

Two very easy games to start the year, with essentially FCS level New Mexico St, and actual FCS Western Illinois.

Colorado ... was terrible this year, but so was Mich St last year. So we'll see.

Purdue looking to finally make some noise in the West, after years of potential under Brohm. Bert at Illinois, already made nice improvements in year one. Fitz will be looking for a rebound. Nebraska ..... well, who knows.

Thursday
Sep. 1
New Mexico State Football ScheduleNew Mexico State AggiesHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 10
Western Illinois Football ScheduleWestern Illinois LeathernecksHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 17
Colorado Football ScheduleColorado BuffaloesHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 24
Iowa Football ScheduleIowa HawkeyesHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 1
Rutgers Football ScheduleRutgers Scarlet KnightsHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 8
Illinois Football Scheduleat Illinois Fighting IlliniMemorial Stadium, Champaign, ILTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 15
Purdue Boilermakers Football SchedulePurdue BoilermakersHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 22
Nebraska Football Scheduleat Nebraska CornhuskersMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NETime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 29
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 5
Michigan State Football Scheduleat Michigan State SpartansSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 12
Northwestern Wildcats Football ScheduleNorthwestern WildcatsHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 19
Penn State Football Scheduleat Penn State Nittany LionsBeaver Stadium, University Park, PATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 26
Wisconsin Badgers Football Scheduleat Wisconsin BadgersCamp Randall Stadium, Madison, WITime TBA ETTV TBA

Next season gets tough in a hurry starting with Iowa. This is Big Ten Football!

2022 will be a more difficult conf schedule, going to suddenly revived Mich St and going to down but not out Penn St. Plus Rutgers at home (Schiano vs mentee).

In Madison to defend the Axe (when is the last time they defended the Axe in Madison???)

Two very easy games to start the year, with essentially FCS level New Mexico St, and actual FCS Western Illinois.

Colorado ... was terrible this year, but so was Mich St last year. So we'll see.

Purdue looking to finally make some noise in the West, after years of potential under Brohm. Bert at Illinois, already made nice improvements in year one. Fitz will be looking for a rebound. Nebraska ..... well, who knows.

Thursday
Sep. 1
New Mexico State Football ScheduleNew Mexico State AggiesHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 10
Western Illinois Football ScheduleWestern Illinois LeathernecksHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 17
Colorado Football ScheduleColorado BuffaloesHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 24
Iowa Football ScheduleIowa HawkeyesHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 1
Rutgers Football ScheduleRutgers Scarlet KnightsHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 8
Illinois Football Scheduleat Illinois Fighting IlliniMemorial Stadium, Champaign, ILTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 15
Purdue Boilermakers Football SchedulePurdue BoilermakersHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 22
Nebraska Football Scheduleat Nebraska CornhuskersMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NETime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 29
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 5
Michigan State Football Scheduleat Michigan State SpartansSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 12
Northwestern Wildcats Football ScheduleNorthwestern WildcatsHuntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 19
Penn State Football Scheduleat Penn State Nittany LionsBeaver Stadium, University Park, PATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 26
Wisconsin Badgers Football Scheduleat Wisconsin BadgersCamp Randall Stadium, Madison, WITime TBA ETTV TBA
We don’t draw OSU though, no guarantee Mich St sustains success. PSU is tough, but we typically play well vs them. We’ll see if Rutgers improves, they didn’t make a huge jump in year two. Might not be any more difficult.

Wow. On the road for four of the final five games.

Iowa and Wisconsin both draw OSU next year and Iowa gets Michigan as well. Purdue avoids both, but opens the season vs PSU. They avoid Mich state as well.

Why would Tanner Morgan not return?

I guess some possible reasons might be:
- to get on with his life (he got married within the past year, right?)
- the fans/media in the Twin Cities have taken the joy out of football for him
- he has physical issues that we are unaware of

On the other hand, if he does want to be a coach some day (which I believe I have heard to be his aspirations), another season on the team would be more on the job learning. Plus, even if he had a mediocre season, I suspect that he would end up breaking pretty much every passing record, right? If he had an outstanding season, I could see an NFL team picking him up to be a backup QB.
If Tanner goes into coaching he'll spend the next 30-40 years of his life wishing he was back out there playing. Even if he's making millions as a big time head coach. So he should take the chance to step between the lines for one more year as a Big Ten QB if he's at all interested in making a life in football.

If Tanner goes into coaching he'll spend the next 30-40 years of his life wishing he was back out there playing. Even if he's making millions as a big time head coach. So he should take the chance to step between the lines for one more year as a Big Ten QB if he's at all interested in making a life in football.
Keep playing till they take the gear from you.

Thursday
Sep. 1
Saturday
Sep. 10
Saturday
Sep. 17
Saturday
Sep. 24
Saturday
Oct. 1
Saturday
Oct. 8
Saturday
Oct. 15
Saturday
Oct. 22
Saturday
Oct. 29
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 5
Saturday
Nov. 12
Saturday
Nov. 19
Saturday
Nov. 26
I don't see a loss in there...

B1G West, trend arrow pointing up:

Minnesota
Purdue
Illinois

----

Northwestern seems to have an "every other season" pattern; if it holds, they'll be good next year.

----

While neither Iowa nor Wisconsin can really be classified as "arrow pointing up", they are both rock-solid programs and I would expect them to remain so on into the future.

----

The only other team in the West is Nebraska, and I'm not sure what to make of them.

----

Bottom line: the West is tough, and trending tougher.

Top Bottom