Really sick of...

CP Gopher

Reaction score
...The excessive celebration penalties in these bowl games. I think the players are doing it intentionally.

I'm sick of the players doing it. He deserved the penalty. Just play the damn game.

I was thinking this exact thing, and I think it's a reflection of how much players care about or respect the game they are playing in. So far the bowls played have been more like a nationally-televised scrimmage, and the players are treating them as such. If this isn't a prime example of why there are too many bowl games and how meaningless some of them are, then I don't know what is.

That rant aside, I don't think we'll be seeing these kind of antics once we get into the top flight bowls.

Agree. If you are watching the A&M game, not sure what that guy did wrong.

Same. Just jumped up once and than bent over and said something to an A&M fan. Don't see what the big deal is. One of the more mild celebrations if you ask me.

He imitated shooting a basketball with the football.

Just play the damn game. If I wanted to watch a variety show I would tune in to an old Ed Sullivan Show.:cool02:

Yeah, really don't see how that merits a 15 yard penalty. At least assessed with the kickoff so it didn't affect the game too much.

These players don't celebrate like this in the regular season because they know the coach will have their a$$. Every year celebration is a problem in the bowl season. I agree that you won't see the same in the playoff games, they mean something.

I was thinking this exact thing, and I think it's a reflection of how much players care about or respect the game they are playing in. So far the bowls played have been more like a nationally-televised scrimmage, and the players are treating them as such. If this isn't a prime example of why there are too many bowl games and how meaningless some of them are, then I don't know what is.

That rant aside, I don't think we'll be seeing these kind of antics once we get into the top flight bowls.

I never get the "too many bowl games" argument. More football is never a bad thing. At the very least, most of the games are pretty entertaining with a lot of trick plays.

Anyone else seeing the A&M coaches on the sidelines shoving and Always putting their hands on WVU players? Hard to cheer for A&M

This isn't a black v white issue or anything like that, is it?

I never get the "too many bowl games" argument. More football is never a bad thing. At the very least, most of the games are pretty entertaining with a lot of trick plays.

Yeah, if you stop and think about it; all these teams/players, coaches, administrations, traveling party get to take a trip to warm weather city(mostly), see a new part of the country and play another football game. An opportunity for their fans to take a trip together. The players all get a 'care' package.

Football junkies like us get another game to watch.....................if we choose.

And to top it off, most/all have a tie-in with some charity.

Really is ho harm is there?

Anyone else seeing the A&M coaches on the sidelines shoving and Always putting their hands on WVU players? Hard to cheer for A&M
A&M is part of the problem in CFB since they left for the SEC.

Yeah, if you stop and think about it; all these teams/players, coaches, administrations, traveling party get to take a trip to warm weather city(mostly), see a new part of the country and play another football game. An opportunity for their fans to take a trip together. The players all get a 'care' package.

Football junkies like us get another game to watch.....................if we choose.

Makes my blood boil!

I agree to point and I like the aggressive play calls too. But it's hard for me to excited about a game where you can tell the players don't even care, as evidence by the excessive personal foul penalties.

Also my memory is fuzzy but didn't the NCAA get rid of the 3rd place game in hockey for this very reason? It was obvious nobody cared and it the game just became a cesspool for penalties and fighting?

Yep, and if they got rid of all the "minor" Bowls, this would be the first Gopher bowl game since the Sun Bowl in 2002.

I agree to point and I like the aggressive play calls too. But it's hard for me to excited about a game where you can tell the players don't even care, as evidence by the excessive personal foul penalties.

Also my memory is fuzzy but didn't the NCAA get rid of the 3rd place game in hockey for this very reason? It was obvious nobody cared and it the game just became a cesspool for penalties and fighting?

Why do we have the other 4 committee bowls? They don't mean anything either. So much of college football doesn't mean anything. Probably half of all teams are just there to take up space. The other half compete for conference titles and national titles.

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/Owb2whXXijh/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe the "worst" teams in penalties committed ratchet it up when they know it's the last game of the season and/or they know it's nationally televised?

Some of the teams that have already played in bowl games are among the most penalized teams in college football this season; USC, BYU, Marshall, Bowling Green, Miami. With more of them, Baylor, ECU, Arkansas State, ORE, MO and UCLA coming-up.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/Owb2whXXijh/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I saw that live and thought my eyes must have deceived me because no coach would do something like that intentionally. Thanks for posting.

Back to the "excessive celebration" penalties. I don't want to take all of the enthusiasm out of the game, but here is where I'm going to come off like an "old" guy - I just don't like it when players have these "routines" worked out. In my book, if you score a TD, act like you've been there before. go ahead and spike the ball, or just toss the ball to the referee, then turn around and go back to the bench and celebrate with your teammates.

This is another case of trickle-down: college kids see the pros hamming it up, then HS kids see the college kids doing it, and everybody wants to be a copy-cat.

One student assistant, and he was gone at halftime.

Everyone has been chippy today, with quite a bit of trash talk. We've been just as much a part of it as Mountain Tard has, no excuses.

It's very interesting because we have zero rivalry with each other.

10560408_10152925432554836_875364253674378525_o.jpg

Top Bottom