Reality Check

Bisondad

Reaction score
I know Gopher fans are excited and impatient to see a winner but.............................................

Gophers 2011 3 wins

Gophers 2012 6 wins and a decent bowl game

Gophers 2013 ????

I think Coach Kill and his staff are right on track. Turning this thing around is hard but so far he is doing it. Did anybody really think things would be better than this in year 2? I'm excited to watch this program continue to get better, deeper, etc. In the 30 years I've followed them, I have more hope now than anytime except for the Holtz years. Go Gophers!!

He77, I've been for 5 decades or so for us to win big and often once again, so don't color me impatient! :)>)=

I know Gopher fans are excited and impatient to see a winner but.............................................

Gophers 2011 3 wins

Gophers 2012 6 wins and a decent bowl game

Gophers 2013 ????

I think Coach Kill and his staff are right on track. Turning this thing around is hard but so far he is doing it. Did anybody really think things would be better than this in year 2? I'm excited to watch this program continue to get better, deeper, etc. In the 30 years I've followed them, I have more hope now than anytime except for the Holtz years. Go Gophers!!

In year two of Kill we beat the teams we are supposed to beat(no loses to the likes of NDSU & SDSU), and became bowl eligible. That's step one.

Next step is to win the games we 'could win'.....Northwester/Iowa etc..

Will the Gophers return to prominence?...stay tuned. It won't happen overnight.

Next step would be to be 5-0 heading to Michigan next year.

I am waiting for Rosemountain to say he is excited before I am willing to go out on a limb and be excited about the program. In all seriousness, I have been a fan for 55 years (Longer than Dr.Don) and I am comfortable that we are definitely heading in the right direction but I am going to be patient. This is certainly going to take time. The 2014 football season might be a good time to take stock of where we are at. At that point Kill will have recruited his third class (For the 2011 class Kill had minimal impact). Personally, I am going to enjoy the journey along with the ups and downs.

Reality sucks in this case,
but many fans may need to realize that Kill may well get this program back to winning ways, may endure for over a decade, and may be finally able to score that local prospect or two that put us in contention for a conference title, but it's likely not going to happen in 4-5 years.

Quick and sustained turnarounds simply do not happen in BCS conferences overnight. I like the fact that Kill's recruits at NIU are in a BCS bowl, and that his QB who used to "run up the middle" too much has learned to throw and been a monster in his jr year.
Our D elevated themselves this year despite mediocre LB play, should that trend continue or even hold serve over the next few years we'll be in for some fun football and even a shot every few years at glory.
JMO

I think a huge next step would be to end the snide against Michigan or Wisconsin next year. There was a lot of talk about us not ending up on the wrong end of a ridiculous blowout this year. We are long overdue to steal one against a top tier conference opponent. I liked 19's comment, that we won the ones we should and now we need to start grabbing some of the ones we can, and I think it would be really nice to mix in one of the one's we shouldn't (I've seen us end of on the wrong end of ones we shouldn't against NDSU and NMSU, so I know it is possible for a team to grab one they shouldn't).

I am satisfied with 6 wins this year. 5 or more was where I thought the program needed to be. Next year IMO they need to win 6-7 games and at least 3 B10 games for the momenteum to continue. Another 2-6 B10 record would bring Kill a 6-18 mark over three seasons, and there needs to be improvement in that area. Here's to hoping for at least a 3-1/3-5 season, or at best a 4-0/4-4 that would really get people going.

I am satisfied with 6 wins this year. 5 or more was where I thought the program needed to be. Next year IMO they need to win 6-7 games and at least 3 B10 games for the momenteum to continue. Another 2-6 B10 record would bring Kill a 6-18 mark over three seasons, and there needs to be improvement in that area. Here's to hoping for at least a 3-1/3-5 season, or at best a 4-0/4-4 that would really get people going.

The last 2 coaches were able to win at least 3 conference games by their 3rd year and in Brewster's case his 2nd year. Winning 3 conference games for Kill and his staff in year 3 should be an expectation if this program is actually heading in the right direction.

The last 2 coaches were able to win at least 3 conference games by their 3rd year and in Brewster's case his 2nd year. Winning 3 conference games for Kill and his staff in year 3 should be an expectation if this program is actually heading in the right direction.

+1 Non-conf should be at worst 3-1 and realistically 4-0. In the conference 3 wins should be the minimum with the hope of more. A reasonable bar for next season would be 6-8 wins. Anything less than 6 would be a major disappointment in year 3.

Reality is our schedule

Those of you thinking 3 wins in the Big Ten is a bottom mark of satisfaction maybe need to reconsider? JMO

We do not play Illinois or Purdue next year. Of our 30 Big Ten wins in the last 11 years, those two teams are 11 of them. Purdue 4 and Illinois 7 times.

So we got Michigan, one win in 11 years.
Nebraska no wins.
Wisconsin, one win in 11 years.
Iowa 3 wins in 11 years...it's home...we pretty much have to win?

In the last 5 years we have beat Mich St once. (better coach, diff. time now)
Penn St none.
Indiana once. (It's a road game- they think they are up and coming) Another gotta win game.

In the last 8 years we have beat NW once. (better coach, diff. time now)

Those are our 8 games. Who do we play who isn't positive they will beat us?

The reason we canceled NC is because we need 4 non conference wins for sure or we are highly unlikely to go to a bowl. Winning two Big Ten games is going to reqiure "upsetting" two Big Ten teams.

Bielema leaving Wisconsin, all their coaches and their strength guy all leaving gives us a better chance to maybe beat them. But, they return a lot of people from a team that got better as the season progressed.

Can we win 3? Sure, but it'll be awesome if we do. I'll be happy with 6 wins however it happens with our schedule. Do I think we will better next year than this year? Absolutely, but getting 6 wins will be much harder.

2013 - 5 wins

2014 - indicator of what we have for a staff/team

2015 - make or break (staff), must win 7 games and bowl.

I believe with few exceptions; all staffs should have 5 years.

2013 - 5 wins

2014 - indicator of what we have for a staff/team

2015 - make or break (staff), must win 7 games and bowl.

I believe with few exceptions; all staffs should have 5 years.

You are going to get a bad name here by showing patience, understanding and reasonableness. I suspect there may be bloc here that will say check your sarcasm meter but thanks for the post.

Those of you thinking 3 wins in the Big Ten is a bottom mark of satisfaction maybe need to reconsider? JMO

We do not play Illinois or Purdue next year. Of our 30 Big Ten wins in the last 11 years, those two teams are 11 of them. Purdue 4 and Illinois 7 times.

So we got Michigan, one win in 11 years.
Nebraska no wins.
Wisconsin, one win in 11 years.
Iowa 3 wins in 11 years...it's home...we pretty much have to win?

In the last 5 years we have beat Mich St once. (better coach, diff. time now)
Penn St none.
Indiana once. (It's a road game- they think they are up and coming) Another gotta win game.

In the last 8 years we have beat NW once. (better coach, diff. time now)

Those are our 8 games. Who do we play who isn't positive they will beat us?

The reason we canceled NC is because we need 4 non conference wins for sure or we are highly unlikely to go to a bowl. Winning two Big Ten games is going to reqiure "upsetting" two Big Ten teams.

Bielema leaving Wisconsin, all their coaches and their strength guy all leaving gives us a better chance to maybe beat them. But, they return a lot of people from a team that got better as the season progressed.

Can we win 3? Sure, but it'll be awesome if we do. I'll be happy with 6 wins however it happens with our schedule. Do I think we will better next year than this year? Absolutely, but getting 6 wins will be much harder.

That we have beaten Indiana only once in the last five years is a meaningless stat. We've only played them once in the last five years.

I am waiting for Rosemountain to say he is excited before I am willing to go out on a limb and be excited about the program. In all seriousness, I have been a fan for 55 years (Longer than Dr.Don) and I am comfortable that we are definitely heading in the right direction but I am going to be patient. This is certainly going to take time. The 2014 football season might be a good time to take stock of where we are at. At that point Kill will have recruited his third class (For the 2011 class Kill had minimal impact). Personally, I am going to enjoy the journey along with the ups and downs.

Bolded part of your comment is not correct. If you've been a fan for 55 years, that means I was 13, and had been a Gopher fan for at least 5 more years than you.

The point is, I remember being the youngest of 5 boys in my family, and I was the last one, needless to say, to be able to read the Peach Sports Section of the Sunday Minneapolis Tribune, that was delivered to our door. The Peach Sports Section always had lots of pictures of the Gopher Game, with a Football in that picture, with the word TOUCHDOWN inside the football. Sandy Stephens, Judge Dickson, Bill Munsey, and others.

That we have beaten Indiana only once in the last five years is a meaningless stat. We've only played them once in the last five years.

Thank you for that insight.:clap: Final somebody who can tell the difference between what is meaningful and what is not.

Thank you for that insight.:clap: Final somebody who can tell the difference between what is meaningful and what is not.

Killjoy, and some on GH think I knowest not about which I speak? year of the gopher has discovered the value of ignorance of some. Well done, yotg and Killjoy. Once again you guys have supported the old adage, "Tis better to remain silent.......than remove all doubt."

Dr.Don

There is no question that you and I are of the same generation and have some of the same great memories of Gopher football from the fifties and sixties. Since I am older than you and I expect being the youngest boy in your family wasn't easy, I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning that my dad took me to my first Gopher game before 1950.

Thanks for reminding me of the Peach section. It brought back great memories of reading it on Sunday morning. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bigger than some editions of the Strib today. At least if felt like it. Thanks again.

There is no question that you and I are of the same generation and have some of same great memories of Gopher football from the fifties and sixties. Since I am older than you and I expect being the youngest boy in your family wasn't easy, I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning that my dad took me to my first Gopher game before 1950.

Thanks for reminding me of the Peach section. It brought back great memories of reading it on Sunday morning. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bigger than some editions of the Strib today. At least if felt like it. Thanks again.

Awesome post, Killjoy. Our immediate satisfaction generation of today can never take away from us the memories of what once was. I can only hope and pray that our younger people of today can experience the joys we had of yesteryear. Thank you, Killjoy.

Lest the youth of today do not think things were bad back then, let us remind them that in 1959, Murray Warmath, Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Football Gophers, was hung in effigy at more than one fraternity. In 1960, Murray Warmath coached the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers to a National Championship. Same guy, Same Coach. It is amazing how the displays of expertise amongst the fans is oftentimes wrong.

Upon Coach Warmath's death, the following article ensued:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6227301

Killjoy, and some on GH think I knowest not about which I speak? year of the gopher has discovered the value of ignorance of some. Well done, yotg and Killjoy. Once again you guys have supported the old adage, "Tis better to remain silent.......than remove all doubt."

images

You are going to get a bad name here by showing patience, understanding and reasonableness.

3 conference wins as an expectation in Kill's 3rd year is far from being unreasonable.

3 conference wins as an expectation in Kill's 3rd year is far from being unreasonable.

Only the guys out there working their asses off are the ones who should have expectations. If you are just a fan, your expectations are being unreasonable. Get out there and do something instead of talk. Damn this $hit pisses me off. All talk and no action.

Top Bottom