Realistic season predictions:

Wow.

We lost four offensive lineman that were awesome. Our number one ride receiver is gone for the year. Our quarterback has the mental yips when pressured. Last I checked, we beat the Badgers 50% of the time in the last 4 years.

I get that. This is frustrating. I get that this was a year we had opportunity. But coming into this year, looking at the roster, experience, and knowing what we had, I predicted seven or eight wins. That's still very achievable. What if we only win seven games, but two of them are against the Hawkeyes and Badgers?

I will say one thing about PJ. He has to realize that a dual threat quarterback is the only way this offense will get us from. Good to great.
Please explain why a dual threat QB gets the Gophs to the promised land.

PSU loss
Rutgers win
Neb Loss
NW win
Iowa Loss
Wis win

Quick Lane Bowl here the Gophers come.

hard to predict with Morgan's status questionable.

If pressed, I would go with 8-4 or 7-5. The B1G West is so goofy this year. MSU looks terrible against MN and then beats WI. from week to week, it's hard to predict what is going to happen.

One possible ray of light:
It's possible that the B1G puts 2 teams in the CFP final four. Let's say OSU runs the table and Michigan finishes with one loss, to OSU - which could end up as the #1 seed. under that scenario, and depending on how some other teams finish, it's possible that OSU and Michigan both make the CFP. then, the #3 team in the conference goes to the Rose Bowl, and every other team gets bumped up a slot on the bowl lineup. So, an 8-4 record could still get the Gophers a decent Bowl game.

Dual threat implies good at running and passing

I’d take that

Our offense more dependent on a good passer than runner
So if next man up can run but not throw it’ll be bad

Dual threat implies good at running and passing

I’d take that

Our offense more dependent on a good passer than runner
So if next man up can run but not throw it’ll be bad
Athan is a mobile pro style QB. I am excited to see what he can do.

because with Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc.......it seems to work.

Our promised land is a big 10 west championship. When you can't throw basically at all, a dual threat can run and create plays with the feet.

I mean in our current situation, isn't it obvious?

because with Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc.......it seems to work.

Our promised land is a big 10 west championship. When you can't throw basically at all, a dual threat can run and create plays with the feet.

I mean in our current situation, isn't it obvious?
No, it's not. Bryce Young has 10 rushes for 12 net yards in the past four games. Two were QB sneaks for TDs. CJ Stroud has 10 rushes for a net 4 yards in six games.

No, it's not. Bryce Young has 10 rushes for 12 net yards in the past four games. Two were QB sneaks for TDs. CJ Stroud has 10 rushes for a net 4 yards in six games.
They both run all over back there extending plays and letting receivers get open. They are not a statue to in the backfield.

Just a simple step up in the pocket and roll out and throw is something we literally can't do.

And just for the record, if either of them played at the U, they'd be running a lot, and we'd be scoring a lot more points.

Last edited:

They both run all over back there extending plays and letting receivers get open. They are not a statue to in the backfield.

Just a simple step up in the pocket and roll out and throw is something we literally can't do.

And just for the record, if either of them played at the U, they'd be running a lot, and we'd be scoring a lot more points.
That's quite a pivot. They are mobile operating in a pro style offense. Both AK and Knuth are perfect for that...both are tall and mobile. Love Tanner for what he is, but he is not mobile or tall. I'm 6'1 on a good day, and he is shorter than me.

Last edited:

PSU loss
Rutgers win
Neb Loss
NW win
Iowa Loss
Wis win

Quick Lane Bowl here the Gophers come.

That would give us 7 wins. We're not going to the Quick Lane Bowl with 7 wins.

I’ve said it after the Purdue game and here I’ll say it again!

ILL L
PSU L
Rutgers toss up
Neb L
NW toss up
Iowa L
Wis L
That pre-game speech appears to have been very motivating for you 😆

I am not.saying we need Michael Vick. We simply need a QB that can either escape pressure in the pocket to keep plays alive or be a threat to keep the ball which will open up the playbook and force defenses to honor the running ability of the QB. This isolates LBs in the passing game and running game because they must not lose track of the QB. In other words, we are able to keep a LB from blitzing or overpaying the RB because they have to fear the QB keeping it.

Ohio State does this. Utah did it all night to USC. UCLA is doing it all year.

I am not.saying we need Michael Vick. We simply need a QB that can either escape pressure in the pocket to keep plays alive or be a threat to keep the ball which will open up the playbook and force defenses to honor the running ability of the QB. This isolates LBs in the passing game and running game because they must not lose track of the QB. In other words, we are able to keep a LB from blitzing or overpaying the RB because they have to fear the QB keeping it.

Ohio State does this. Utah did it all night to USC. UCLA is doing it all year.
See post #42.

8-4 is my gut feeling which is 5-4 in conference play. 3-3 in division.

Top Bottom