Realistic Roster Options for HC Johnson

NorCalGopher

Reaction score
It's looking as though HC Ben Johnson has as least five scholarships available, between transfers (Carr, Mashburn, Omersa) and graduation (Curry, Conroy). We all know that number could grow, specifically with Brandon Johnson (or others) and commits Tristan Thompson and Kenny Pohto. It's conceivable there could be six or seven spots.

At this early stage, there are a number of players in the transfer portal widely viewed as targets:

Parker Fox - SF (Northern St)
Jamison Battle - SF (GW)
Ishmael El-Amin - CG (Ball St)
Race Thompson - PF (Indiana)
KyKy Tandy - CG (Xaiver)
C.J. Wilcher - SG (Xaiver)

What players would you like to see as Gophers? Who are the best fits?

It's looking as though HC Ben Johnson has as least five scholarships available, between transfers (Carr, Mashburn, Omersa) and graduation (Curry, Conroy). We all know that number could grow, specifically with Brandon Johnson (or others) and commits Tristan Thompson and Kenny Pohto. It's conceivable there could be six or seven spots.

At this early stage, there are a number of players in the transfer portal widely viewed as targets:

Parker Fox - SF (Northern St)
Jamison Battle - SF (GW)
Ishmael El-Amin - CG (Ball St)
Race Thompson - PF (Indiana)
KyKy Tandy - CG (Xaiver)
C.J. Wilcher - SG (Xaiver)

What players would you like to see as Gophers? Who are the best fits?
Sounds like Wilcher is likely to end up at Nebraska with Hoiberg

Gophers lost 6 scholarship players (assuming all in portal leave) that we know of. Curry, Conroy, Carr, Omersa, Mashburn and Gopherhole all-decade team candidate David Mutaf.

Two players signed: Klay Thompson’s brother and the Swedish potato.

Unless I’m an idiot that leaves 4 spots open?

Gophers lost 6 scholarship players (assuming all in portal leave) that we know of. Curry, Conroy, Carr, Omersa, Mashburn and Gopherhole all-decade team candidate David Mutaf.

I think people are assuming Johnson and potato are still to be determined.

Mutaf still stings. Treyton Thompson gets so little respect people think we signed his cousin Tristan. Any news on madsen bros? Mason could be decent backup pg possibly.

I think people are assuming Johnson and potato are still to be determined.
I don’t know who said their brain is broken and they keep seeing his name as Potato but its the post of the year and all I’ll think about it as long as he is a gopher.

I don’t know who said their brain is broken and they keep seeing his name as Potato but its the post of the year and all I’ll think about it as long as he is a gopher.
Hi it’s me, Broken Brain guy

I believe Conroy had Mutaf's scholarship, so you're double counting one.

Sounds like Wilcher is likely to end

I think he’s stepping in to an ideal situation with college free agency being wide open this year. He honestly has a chance to have a better team than a coach normally would.

recruiting helps winning and winning helps recruiting.
Completely agree. It will be interesting to see which primary ball-handlers Johnson is targeting. Whether it's him or not, I see a player like El-Amin as an ideal fit. Veteran player, would want to be a Gopher, would at least help them be competitive, would bridge the gap to the 2022 recruiting class and hopefully a player like Tre Holloman.

PG Tyree Ihenacho from UND and Prior Lake is another guy. Was the Horizon league freshman of the year. Had 10 point, 3 assists, 3 boards, 3 steals against us this year.

He'd be an ok option as a backup PG with a guy like El-Amin as the starter.

PG Tyree Ihenacho from UND and Prior Lake is another guy. Was the Horizon league freshman of the year. Had 10 point, 3 assists, 3 boards, 3 steals against us this year.

Perhaps they can dig out the JUCO PG equivalent of Matheui to tide us over for a couple years while we get young guys.....?

I remember watching that game and thinking WTF how is this lightly recruited freshman from MN playing better than half our highly touted guys?!?!?

Top Bottom