Realistic expectations

That has been my largest complaint. That people talked like this was some historic program and all i have experienced is mediocre. I want PITINO do thrive, i just do not want this to be Nebraska, year 5 Tim Miles and have fans keep telling me that Miles is a really good coach. The record says he is poor. Making the tourney this year is the 1st step and i think that will happen but he will need to follow that up by contending at the top spot next year.I do not think it is unreasonable to expect getting into those 13-5 type records. The reason for that is there is a direct correllation between doing well in your conference and getting good seeds and then year after year having teams that can advance in the tourney as opposed to rarely doing well and occassionally going on a deeper run. I am supporting him to become the guy that does that.

If we make the tournament this year and we have everyone except springs back next year. With the addition of Fitz (hopefully) Washington and Harris, who are all supposed to be decent to good shooters, we will compete for the BIG championship.

Wisconsin loses Showalter, Hayes, Koening and Brown at least and maybe Happ if he shows off in the tournament and goes pro(this could be a Tyus Jones situation where he will never have a higher spot in the draft than what he gets after this year). As such they will likely drop off next year at least a little bit.

Maryland has to be the odds on favorite unless Tremble leaves to go Pro as they only lose Dodd and a little used wing player Gill. I would hate to see this team if Tremble stays for his senior year. If he leaves they will no doubt drop. He'll be hard to replace.

Purdue will replace Swanigan with Ewing so they will still be good. Most of the rest of this team are not seniors yet and I have no idea if Edwards is good enough to go pro but I doubt it.

northwestern... we'll see i don't trust that they'll be as good at the end of the year as they are right now. But they will have a hard time keeping their streak alive (of missing the tournament) Next year they really only lose Lumpkin but their incoming class right now isn't all that good looking... we'll see.

Michigan state will lose Harris and Bridges(Likely) but they have a few top notch forwards coming in so they will be back up. Along with adding back in at least Schilling after he medical redshirts this season they will be a force again no longer having only 1 player taller than 6'7".

I'd say MN is in that next slot for top 4 next year given who we'll have returning.

Indiana has mostly underclassmen and who knows who will stay there (at what point do they fire Crean?).

I can't believe OSU will stay down, PSU has a few really good recruiting classes in a row, and I expect Iowa to drop after Jok goes pro.

The BIG will be back up next year as nearly every team should expect improvements except for Wisconsin and maybe Iowa.

Why do you keep saying this? It is false.
At what level do you consider him a failure as a coach in conference games? 20%? 40%? 31.4651%? The conference record affects recruiting. What player wants to go to a school where they can say "We made the NCAA tournament every year and always won 15 to 18 games a season?" No one, because they takedown reply will always be "yeah, but you always lost more conference games than you won." and more than likely they will add just how quickly your team got washed out of the tournament.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

At what level do you consider him a failure as a coach in conference games? 20%? 40%? 31.4651%? The conference record affects recruiting. What player wants to go to a school where they can say "We made the NCAA tournament every year and always won 15 to 18 games a season?" No one, because they takedown reply will always be "yeah, but you always lost more conference games than you won." and more than likely they will add just how quickly your team got washed out of the tournament.

Okay so you would have us fire Pitino and start over again? That will likely lead to another 3 years guaranteed of losing conference records as the new coach (who wont be a proven superstar because lets be realistic about our program here) get's his guys in. If we keep Pitino, either this year(outside chance) or next year we will end our 11 year drought of losing or 0.500 at best conference records(either that or Pitino gets fired and I'll be behind that).

Chances are good that this year's team is going to go either 9-9 or 10-8 in the conference with the way the rest of the schedule looks. He has a decent class coming in and he has Otero coming. No way they fire Pitino after this year.

Unless we pull a Tubby and lose out of course.

Okay so you would have us fire Pitino and start over again? That will likely lead to another 3 years guaranteed of losing conference records as the new coach (who wont be a proven superstar because lets be realistic about our program here) get's his guys in. If we keep Pitino, either this year(outside chance) or next year we will end our 11 year drought of losing or 0.500 at best conference records(either that or Pitino gets fired and I'll be behind that).
How much of that will be attributable to the athletes better because they have better training facilities in the Athlete's Village? We are stacking the deck to make him a glorious coach because the school, after epic avoidance, has decided to vastly upgrade athletic training facilities?

Clem Haskins, this board's favorite comparison, could have awful seasons because the school didn't care about athletics. Remember the dim bulbs didn't understand anything about the importance sports to the school until the last few years of the 1990s. Before that they were hoping athletics, specifically men's athletics, would die from neglect. Then they could flush all athletics, men's & women's, from the school.

This is a different time. The world, in general, moves faster and that colors expectations to make change faster. Retaining a coach who has a downward trajectory on the performance of his teams is ludicrous.

How much of that will be attributable to the athletes better because they have better training facilities in the Athlete's Village? We are stacking the deck to make him a glorious coach because the school, after epic avoidance, has decided to vastly upgrade athletic training facilities?

Clem Haskins, this board's favorite comparison, could have awful seasons because the school didn't care about athletics. Remember the dim bulbs didn't understand anything about the importance sports to the school until the last few years of the 1990s. Before that they were hoping athletics, specifically men's athletics, would die from neglect. Then they could flush all athletics, men's & women's, from the school.

This is a different time. The world, in general, moves faster and that colors expectations to make change faster. Retaining a coach who has a downward trajectory on the performance of his teams is ludicrous.

Pitino isn't going anywhere. Get over it.

So you would have fired Painter at Purdue prior to last season?

edit: NVM that was a bad example. But he did have a downward trajectory and a 5-13 big ten season that year.

So you would have fired Painter at Purdue prior to last season?
Not fully sure of the Purdue administration's attitude towards sports, but I would strongly have leaned that way.

Please, name coach you feel would ACTUALLY come to MN and do a better job? Pitino has worked his ass off on the recruiting trail and deserves credit for the TRAJECTORY the program is on.

Please, name coach you feel would ACTUALLY come to MN and do a better job? Pitino has worked his ass off on the recruiting trail and deserves credit for the TRAJECTORY the program is on.
Straw man argument. The "name someone else who would replace the coach and do a better job" argument is always invoked by people who have no belief in the University and the non-quantifiable aspects. Basically, people who don't like the school and don't believe in the things around the school like culture, the people and the community.

Despite popular opinion, I do like the University of Minnesota. I have spent so much time since graduating watching the school, administration, athletic department and educators run around like stoned monkeys looking for their next quick fix that it is embarrassing.

Even when things go wrong, they keep going back, like Pavlov's dog, to what they think should work and wonder why nothing happened. They act like gamblers on a losing streak absolutely sure the next big payoff is around the corner and if they just hang around long enough it will be theirs. They don't realize that it is their behavior that needs to change.

You have to change your behavior with the blind faith that there is something better out there, rather than have the faith that staying the course will give a different result.

I have more faith that there is a better coach out there who we don't know about than I have faith that staying the course will be the best thing for the University of Minnesota.

Straw man argument. The "name someone else who would replace the coach and do a better job" argument is always invoked by people who have no belief in the University and the non-quantifiable aspects. Basically, people who don't like the school and don't believe in the things around the school like culture, the people and the community.

I believe in all the things you referenced above - UofM is a great institution with an awesome culture and a lot to sell to prospective students/recruits. I also believe that in life you need to make decisions for better or worse. MN made a decision on Pitino, and I want to see it through. Nothing is certain, you're always rolling the dice. I believe Pitino is giving us a viable path toward becoming a top tier B10 program. You may disagree with that, but that is what I believe.

What did Tubby do that was so damaging to the program?
Did he tell the MN AAU and high school coaches that they knew nothing about basketball?
Did he try to sleep with female members of the administration?

I don't think so. I think the only thing he did wrong was believing the administration was going to upgrade the athletic training facilities while he was here. The amount of avoidance and foot dragging on this project is unbelievable. Tubby actually believed this was going to happen, but the administration had no intention of giving in to the demands of a mere coach.

It took Tubby's departure and the insistence of Jerry Kill on that the U follow through on upgrading athletic training facilities to make the administration realize that they were going to be held accountable for promises made to coaches.

I don't believe Tubby was fired for the performance of the basketball team. I believe that he was fired because he kept arguing with administrators about how important it was.

The energy around building the Athletic Village did not intensify until the promise made to coaches had been out in public for over five years.

In-state athletes know this info and thanks to social media and the internet, it spreads further than expected.

Pitino's recruiting success has mirrored the progress of actualizing better training facilities for the athletes. I don't see his recruiting classes improving solely from his efforts at recruiting at all.

PJ Fleck would not have come here without the Athletic Village being under condtruction. The same is true of athletes as it is coaches. That is the type of proof that people need to see from an administration which claims to support their athletic department.

You can look at Pitino's coaching skills and wonder about a lot of things. The ones that stand out most are the inconsistent play of his junior & sophomore players and why it takes the team to light a fire under themselves to play better when it is something that the coach should do?

8-10 record and a first round BTT win is probably all they need the way things are shaping up.

Despite popular opinion, I do like the University of Minnesota. I have spent so much time since graduating watching the school, administration, athletic department and educators run around like stoned monkeys looking for their next quick fix that it is embarrassing.

Even when things go wrong, they keep going back, like Pavlov's dog, to what they think should work and wonder why nothing happened. They act like gamblers on a losing streak absolutely sure the next big payoff is around the corner and if they just hang around long enough it will be theirs. They don't realize that it is their behavior that needs to change.

You have to change your behavior with the blind faith that there is something better out there, rather than have the faith that staying the course will give a different result.

I have more faith that there is a better coach out there who we don't know about than I have faith that staying the course will be the best thing for the University of Minnesota.

I think Tubby was fired due to recruiting. His first couple classes were good, but it really started to deteriorate

that was almost 4 years ago... only the current seniors at U of M (school not program) were here when tubby was here. Let it go.

Anyway, Izzo always says he needs a vocal leadership to help light the fire under his team. He hates it when he doesn't have that. Now I suppose he's not a good coach because he can't light that fire by himself? Izzo is also a bad coach because players like Nairn and Matthew McQuaid are having inconsistent junior and sophomore years respectively. I know I'm picking and choosing here but can you see my argument at least?

I think Tubby was fired due to recruiting. His first couple classes were good, but it really started to deteriorate
Once recruits realized there was going to be no upgrade in training facilities, why would they believe Tubby's recruitment pitch?

Once recruits realized there was going to be no upgrade in training facilities, why would they believe Tubby's recruitment pitch?

I don't disagree. It certainty didn't help. So Norwood's expectations were too high. But thats still the reason he got canned

I don't disagree. It certainty didn't help. So Norwood's expectations were too high. But thats still the reason he got canned
Tubby was promised improved training facilities. Those facilities not appearing to be important to the administration compromised Tubby's ability to recruit. Kids aren't dumb. They know what's up. Tubby had to ask about them to provide the recruits with honest answers. The problem was the answers he got from administration weren't sufficiently clear to make recruits want to come here. Tubby probably pressed for an answer to a question about a specific time frame for improving training facilities and that was it. The fire was dead and a new A.D. wasn't going to start it up again here.

Tubby was promised improved training facilities. Those facilities not appearing to be important to the administration compromised Tubby's ability to recruit. Kids aren't dumb. They know what's up. Tubby had to ask about them to provide the recruits with honest answers. The problem was the answers he got from administration weren't sufficiently clear to make recruits want to come here. Tubby probably pressed for an answer to a question about a specific time frame for improving training facilities and that was it. The fire was dead and a new A.D. wasn't going to start it up again here.

But we are getting a training facility

that was almost 4 years ago... only the current seniors at U of M (school not program) were here when tubby was here. Let it go.

Anyway, Izzo always says he needs a vocal leadership to help light the fire under his team. He hates it when he doesn't have that. Now I suppose he's not a good coach because he can't light that fire by himself? Izzo is also a bad coach because players like Nairn and Matthew McQuaid are having inconsistent junior and sophomore years respectively. I know I'm picking and choosing here but can you see my argument at least?
Izzo was able to recruit them. That means his administration has supported him by not making him look like an idiot in front of recruits.

Up until the football players incident this year, I would have been 100% absolutely sure that the U administration wanted to cripple recruiting efforts and make recruiters look like idiots in front of recruits. Now, it's only about 80% certainty.

But we are getting a training facility
Now. After Tubby is gone. After the administration had their figurative feet held to the fire about it.

You should be thankful then that Pitino has recruited quite well without improved facilities for 4 years. Imagine what he's going to do when he gets those facilities.

You should be thankful then that Pitino has recruited quite well without improved facilities for 4 years. Imagine what he's going to do when he gets those facilities.
I highly doubt the veracity of that statement. He didn't have a decent big man until we got Reggie Lynch this year. Thanks go to Kevin Lynch for a lot of that recruitment. He got Amir Coffey thanks to his dad.

When we get those facilities, we will be locked in with another average coach who can't get above .500 in Big Ten Conference play. Who can blame the quality of Minnesota basketball programs for not recruiting the best in-state players, players who would have offers from places like North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and other top ten percent programs in the country.

Just another way we accept mediocrity in the Athletic Department.

Kids aren't stupid. They won't be wowed by the son of a legendary coach who shares a similar name. Kids check a coach's record. They know the difference between *ick and *ichard.

I highly doubt the veracity of that statement. He didn't have a decent big man until we got Reggie Lynch this year. Thanks go to Kevin Lynch for a lot of that recruitment. He got Amir Coffey thanks to his dad.

When we get those facilities, we will be locked in with another average coach who can't get above .500 in Big Ten Conference play. Who can blame the quality of Minnesota basketball programs for not recruiting the best in-state players, players who would have offers from places like North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and other top ten percent programs in the country.

Kids aren't stupid. They won't be wowed by the son of a legendary coach who shares a similar name. Kids check a coach's record. They know the difference between *ick and *ichard.

Do you think Richard should have said no when Norwood called him? Should he have not signed a contract extension thrown in front of him by an interim AD that Pres. Kaler signed off on? Fortunately or unfortunately he is learning on the job & by the looks of things, he and the team are getting better, maybe not as fast as you'd like, but better. If they go 9-9 this year and make the tourney, that will be a big step and next year's expectations should and will be higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without reading this whole thread I'm confused on your take here...are you very anti Tubby firing, just anti Pitino, or both?

Did he tell the MN AAU and high school coaches that they knew nothing about basketball?
Did he try to sleep with female members of the administration?

I don't think so. I think the only thing he did wrong was believing the administration was going to upgrade the athletic training facilities while he was here. The amount of avoidance and foot dragging on this project is unbelievable. Tubby actually believed this was going to happen, but the administration had no intention of giving in to the demands of a mere coach.

It took Tubby's departure and the insistence of Jerry Kill on that the U follow through on upgrading athletic training facilities to make the administration realize that they were going to be held accountable for promises made to coaches.

I don't believe Tubby was fired for the performance of the basketball team. I believe that he was fired because he kept arguing with administrators about how important it was.

The energy around building the Athletic Village did not intensify until the promise made to coaches had been out in public for over five years.

In-state athletes know this info and thanks to social media and the internet, it spreads further than expected.

Pitino's recruiting success has mirrored the progress of actualizing better training facilities for the athletes. I don't see his recruiting classes improving solely from his efforts at recruiting at all.

PJ Fleck would not have come here without the Athletic Village being under condtruction. The same is true of athletes as it is coaches. That is the type of proof that people need to see from an administration which claims to support their athletic department.

You can look at Pitino's coaching skills and wonder about a lot of things. The ones that stand out most are the inconsistent play of his junior & sophomore players and why it takes the team to light a fire under themselves to play better when it is something that the coach should do?

I can agree with SOME of what you are pointing out.

First of all, Tubby was getting old, and I'm guessing the administration hoped that his coming here would have a greater impact on recruiting than it did, and then after not having the big impact they wanted early on, then his recruiting was getting worse. A lot of fans thought that Tubby was becoming a lazy recruiter, and though opinions were divided amongst the fans, the administration apparently did not see things getting better if Tubby stayed.

And the new Facilities taking so long had NOTHING to do with how much individual coaches did or didn't bug the Admin.
It had far more to do with it taking longer than they had hoped to raise the funds.

The University of Minnesota is an incredibly school, and the Twin Cities is a great place to live and hang out, we Minnesotans who are used to freezing cold winters know these things. But when you are trying to get coaches or high school recruits to consider coming here, the weather aspect is a negative. If all other factors are equal, it's hard to get past the weather thing.

As far as the inconsistent play of Juniors and Sophomores, well, the Juniors were Pitino's first and worst ranked recruiting class, so there are not going to be a lot of fans who are surprised if they are not superstars. Hopefully the experience they are gaining will help them become more consistent, and the sophomores are only a season and a half in, so is it that hard to believe that their performances will improve as this season goes on and again next year?

And you thinking players would go to a school with good facilities DESPITE the coach, shows how little you know about what you are talking about. Pitino is a YOUNG coach with lots of potential, and a great last name and I believe that the recruits are liking what they hear from Pitino and what they experience on their visits.

As for Pitino maybe not being the greatest coaching mind ever, yeah, I can buy that. But like I've said many times before, with better talent will come more wins and they will make it much easier for Pitino to coach them.

And one last thing, the coach DOES NOT play the game for the players, the players are the ones that shoot the ball and pass the ball and dribble the ball and are the ones who have to play the defense, SO, having or wanting players who coach themselves, is what winning teams need. So who cares if the players had a team meeting and then won. They had already won TWO road games against Top 25 ranked programs BEFORE the team meeting, so its quite possible that having the team meeting wasn't the only reason that they were able to finally win a game.

But the best thing, is that YOU don't have any say on whether or not they fire Pitino or give him another year. :)

Without reading this whole thread I'm confused on your take here...are you very anti Tubby firing, just anti Pitino, or both?
I'm more anti-administration negligence of the athletic department.

Both Tubby and Richard have suffered because ever since 2005-ish it was publicly known that athletic training facilities at the U needed to be upgraded. That means recruits could target one part of their University experience as being unacceptable and want to see improvement.

The U admitted publicly when they hired Tubby that one of the things they were going to do for him was build the Athletic Village. In my opinion, there were administrators who never intended for that to happen. Tubby kept pushing because his recruiting results weren't happening. The combo of Tubby not getting good recruits and his expectation that the Athletic Village would get built are what got him fired.

Richard Pitino walked in to this environment with a new AD and it looked like a huge growth opportunity for a coach. He even won the NIT with Tubby's recruits. His two following recruiting classes have not been stellar much because of the administration obstruction to getting the Athletic Village (AV) started.

If it hadn't been for Jerry Kill working hard to hold the administration to their word about building the AV, and Norwood Teague reworking his contract to include some obscene buyout clauses, I think Richard Pitino would have walked to find better coaching experience elsewhere. I think that may not have been the worst thing for him.

I am not personally thrilled with his coaching or recruiting. Just this season he had a Freudian slip and said that he didn't like coaching in games. To me that says he has problems with the abilities of some recruits to respond to his coaching. Secondly, the players have to have a team meeting to get back on track? That says there is a communication gulf between the coaches and players. Third, the players who have made the most impact have strong family ties to the program. Without those links would they have been able to close the deal with the recruits? I feel a 'no'.

That's just where I'm coming from. For right or wrong, I am putting them out on the board to get some idea if I'm close to being right about them.

Tubby's situation, honestly doesn't matter anymore.

The fact is, Pitino's recruiting classes have gotten better each year DESPITE no facilities yet, maybe the freshman were influenced knowing facilities are on their way, but like GopherWeatherGuy said, just imagine how much better his recruiting classes will be now that he'll have great facilities. And his classes have gotten better DESPITE his losing more games in seasons 2 and 3 than he won in season 1. So now that he's winning more games and the future looks even brighter, that is another thing that will make it easier for him to recruit better players in the future than he has in the past. And he's still young with potential to get better, and if he does get better and if his recruiting continues to improve, we could end up with a HOF kind of coach that could lead the Gopher BB program for DECADES to come.

Oh, so is that why Tubby had some very subpar recruiting classes at Kentucky too? Lack of training facilities?

Perhaps Tubby's recruiting has always been inconsistent because he just isn't that exceptionally good at it. I think the practice facility issue may have been a hindrance but it was also a giant scapegoat.

What will it take for you to stop constantly complaining about Pitino? Or for you to be positive/optimistic about the Gophers? What victory mark does he have to achieve? Honest question.

Do you think Richard should have said no when Norwood called him? Should he have not signed a contract extension thrown in front of him by an interim AD that Pres. Kaler signed off on? Fortunately or unfortunately he is learning on the job & by the looks of things, he and the team are getting better, maybe not as fast as you'd like, but better. If they go 9-9 this year and make the tourney, that will be a big step and next year's expectations should and will be higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the new contract and outrageous buyouts made it easier for him to stay and deal with this dysfunctional, still anti-athletic, administration. Would you rather learn on the job with a supportive organization or an organization that would do everything in its power to get in the way of you succeeding?

Richard is learning a great deal of unnecessary lessons here. Lessons like just how far university committees that administer the school's code of conduct will go to give your team the hate of a community.

Top Bottom