REALISTIC Expectations for Air Force game

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
What are your realistic expectations for what is going to happen tonight. I'd like to see how delusional, or disillusioned, or even realistic the thoughts are. For myself, I think Minnesota loses a close one. Man oh man oh man do I hope I am wrong and we just lay it to them, but I just have a suspicion that our LB's are still not good enough as a group to get us this game. As I said PLEASE let me be wrong about this.

I'll know after this Penn State/Syracuse GAME.......

What are your realistic expectations for what is going to happen tonight. I'd like to see how delusional, or disillusioned, or even realistic the thoughts are. For myself, I think Minnesota loses a close one. Man oh man oh man do I hope I am wrong and we just lay it to them, but I just have a suspicion that our LB's are still not good enough as a group to get us this game. As I said PLEASE let me be wrong about this.

I expect that win or lose there will be many posters on this site complaining about how Brewster called the game and how the Gophers played it.

If our offense does not show more identity than it did last week, criticism may be warranted.

Brewster doesn't call the offensive plays or run the defense. Those are the coordinators responsibilities. The players need to play at their best tonight. They have been working
all summer getting ready for this game so they should be ready.

Brewster doesn't call the offensive plays or run the defense. Those are the coordinators responsibilities. The players need to play at their best tonight. They have been working
all summer getting ready for this game so they should be ready.

Arfe you serious? What does he do then? Everything goes through the head coach. C'mon....

My realistic expectation is that it is going to be a tough game and the Gophers Defense had better be both prepared and careful of the Air Force offense or they will pay dearly. I also expect that the offense is still not clicking yet, with Fisch still trying things he wants to try, as if the offense is his toy to play with rather then forging a solid identity. (I know, kind of a rough statement) Actually I think they need one or two of these four star RBs to commit and take the running game to more of a power running attack.

It is one thing to want to forge an identity, but you need the players to do it.

Arfe you serious? What does he do then? Everything goes through the head coach. C'mon....

I have to agree with Art. I am a big Brewster backer, but if the team fails to perform as it should, the blame ultimately lies with Brewster. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Chalk it up as a win...

For some reason, I'm just not as concerned as I was to start the week. It will be a tough game, no doubt, but it's one the Gophers really should win, even for a team picked to finish 8-9th in the Big Ten.

> I'd be much more concerned if this were the Gophers of 4-6 years ago. Today, the strength of the team is the defense and more importanly, against an offense like this, Brewster has spent his time with MN significantly upgrading the SPEED and ATHLETICISM of the team. Against the option, this should reduce big plays and they should get frequent negative plays or plays for no gain.

> I'd much rather have had a game like the Gophers did last week (opening on the road, close game, TESTED) than a game like the Falcons did; a feel-good game against a JV squad in which you really don't find out anything about your team's strengths and weaknesses.

> I'm just not hearing anything great about the Falcon defense. Every time they've played any remotely quality opponent in the last year or two, they've given up 30+ points on average.

Forget about how tough and challenging Air Force can be to match up with. If the Gophers can't knock off a middle of the pack Mtn West team, at home, home opener, in Brewster's third year, with 18 returning starters, they're in a lot worse shape than I thought...

Excellent posts. I have been a top Brewster supporter but fell off his personal bandwagon after the Iowa game. No biggie- I think we have a couple of top-notch coordinators and I truly believe this. If Brewster can show some gameday grit instead of his usual flurry of rah-rah-look-the-other-way crap, we have a great shot tonight. This helicopter business last night concerned me, but I must admit Brewster seems to have a more reserved tone this year, which is a very good thing.

Realistic expectations??? I don't know what that is. I have thought we had a shot of going to the Rose Bowl every year since 1960. :)

For tonight --tough game but not that tough.

Minnesota 35 AF 24

If our offense does not show more identity than it did last week, criticism may be warranted.

Right now, Michigan State boards are ripping D'antonio saying he was unprepared, out-coached, etc..
Not long ago there were threads wishing we would have hired D'antonio instead of Brewster.
Part of being a fan is ripping the coach. Look at the body of work at the end of the year and see if we are headed in the right direction.

Top Bottom