Real College FB team

I love MIAC football/sports. I also know a thing or two about MIAC football and its fans. I admire the Johnnie football program but do have to sigh at things such as the post that started this thread. Those Johnnie fans tend to get a little out of hand with their perspectives at times.

Last Saturday I went to both the Gustie/Ole game and the Gopher/N.Ill. game. It was a very nice crowd at Gustavus (not to mention a spectacular 2 year old stadium). Great atmosphere and a very entertaining game, not decided until the final seconds.

I graduated from a MIAC school back in the 1970s. Great action with a lot of spirit. Tommies and Gusties were the class of the league back then. Met Gagliardi. What a card. Great guy.

The thing about MIAC ball--in all sports--is that when a bona fide big-time talent comes along--Rick Bell from St. John's or Jim Gustafson from St. Thomas in football, Devean George from Augsburg in basketball, Buzz Hannahan from St. Thomas in baseball--you can see the talent gap that exists between this level of athletics and those above them because these guys are just simply head-and-shoulders above their competition.

Fun ball though. The kids really play hard.

I graduated from a MIAC school back in the 1970s. Great action with a lot of spirit. Tommies and Gusties were the class of the league back then. Met Gagliardi. What a card. Great guy.

The thing about MIAC ball--in all sports--is that when a bona fide big-time talent comes along--Rick Bell from St. John's or Jim Gustafson from St. Thomas in football, Devean George from Augsburg in basketball, Buzz Hannahan from St. Thomas in baseball--you can see the talent gap that exists between this level of athletics and those above them because these guys are just simply head-and-shoulders above their competition.

Fun ball though. The kids really play hard.

I do not disagree with you but the overall talent is pretty good. Take Devean George for instance... he could not carry a basketball team by himself in the MIAC. His best team lost to GAC in the MIAC playoffs and GAC continued on much farther in the national playoffs.

Keeping with basketball, if you take four qualities: Size, quickness, shooting, and general athleticism... DIII players are usually missing one of those items (sometimes two). Still fantastic players, and can hold their own in pick up games with many DI players (just take in a Howard Pulley game to see that). But, in comparison D1 guys almost always have all four aspects in their game.

I've only been to a few Howard Pulley games, but the D1 players aren't hard to spot. No disrespect to the other players, but the talent gap is noticeable.

I should have been a bit more clear Schnauzer. What I should have said the talent is above average and the competition is fairly even. It's just when the rare talent drops in and plays for awhile, you see the difference between FBS and D-III.

Agree on basketball. I knew some of the greats from the MIAC in the 1970s (a couple of whom played in Europe and they could hold their own with pretty much anyone over at the SAL on West 7th in games to 11. The difference in athleticism shows up over time.

I think we are on the same page. I agree with ya.

Crookston is D2. They're in the NSIC. They moved up in 1999, and Morris moved down in 2003.

Actually did know that now that I think about it. I have a friend that plays scholarship basketball at Crookston...so they can't be D3

Not to derail... although this entire thread is a derail. It's highly debatable if St. Thomas offers "a better degree" than any of the state colleges. If by better you mean "more expensive" then sure but if you mean "higher quality" then it certainly depends on the area of study. My personal experience in interviewing entry-level candidates for software development roles has led me to conclude that the state schools offer a much higher quality education for people going into those fields than the private schools do. Once they get past entry level it doesn't matter where they went to school.

/end derailment
If you don't think a degree from any MIAC school carries more weight than a degree from a MNscu school in the same subject, then when applying for jobs, then you are either ignorant to reality or stupid. I am going to guess the former. What is the placement rate of MIAC grads for jobs or grad school? What is the placement rates for MNScu school grads?

sports sports sports is your whole world sports? I wasn't referring to the bubble being college athletics. If you are not aware of the 'bubble' in college tuition then look into it. I think your 15 min on the library computer is up.

Tuition rates at Public Universities are going up at faster rates than tuition rates at many private colleges presently. If you are a 26 ACT and a 3.4+ GPA (not that uncommon for many suburban kids) it often ends up being cheaper to go to the private school than the U of M.

FYI the tuition bubble is already in the process of adjusting. Many banks have stopped giving away student loans. The demand for college education is going up in this country, regardless of cost. You point towards an economic argument to claim that small schools are about to struggle. Schools like St. Thomas and St. Johns are the ones expanding at this time, while the MNscu schools are facing budget shortfalls and higher tuition increases. While you are correct that poorly run private colleges will suffer, and you are correct that for profit colleges will really suffer (for reasons on top of the bubble) you are incorrect if you think the state schools are the schools that will come out big winners.

The student loans 'bubble' won't burst unless the entire economy does. The way it would burst is if the borrowers defaulted on their loans. The only way this happens is if none can get job for an extended period (years). If no one can get a job for years, it is not just a tuition bubble problem. It means we are in a bigger recession than the great depression. Tuition rates at some point will hit a point where they will level off or maybe even go down, they were way below market equilibrium for years and are just now catching up. But once again I state a fact, the only way the tuition bubble bursts is if the entire economy collapses and people can't pay back their loans. In which case, the tuition rates are the least of the problems. Also, it would be more of a problem for the lenders and borrowers than the schools.

If you don't think a degree from any MIAC school carries more weight than a degree from a MNscu school in the same subject, then when applying for jobs, then you are either ignorant to reality or stupid. I am going to guess the former. What is the placement rate of MIAC grads for jobs or grad school? What is the placement rates for MNScu school grads?

I'll tell you right now you are completely correct. One other important aspect to note, alumni from MIAC schools show way more support towards graduates from their respective schools than the MNScu schools. The U to a degree is strong in that facility, but not compared with the MIAC schools.

We should send Goldy up there to pray on the sidelines

Most of the players on the good D3 teams are guys who transferred out of D1 schools (like 4-6 of St. Thomas' starters) or guys that chose D3 instead of D2 or D1. If you can play at St. Thomas for free on general scholarship...wouldn't you rather do that than go play at Mankato on full football scholarship? Especially if you can play right away, get a better degree, and look at better looking college women?
You are right when it comes to the mid to lower tier D3 schools. St. Thomas could play with and beat most teams at the D2 level.

St Thomas is going to win by about 20 this weekend just in case people are wondering.

They got about 17k last year. And st. Thomas is higher ranked this year. THey could get 20k this weekend.

This is one of the most preposterous statements I have ever read here on the Hole, and that is saying a lot.

Most of the players on the good D3 teams are guys who transferred out of D1 schools (like 4-6 of St. Thomas' starters) or guys that chose D3 instead of D2 or D1. If you can play at St. Thomas for free on general scholarship...wouldn't you rather do that than go play at Mankato on full football scholarship? Especially if you can play right away, get a better degree, and look at better looking college women?
You are right when it comes to the mid to lower tier D3 schools. St. Thomas could play with and beat most teams at the D2 level.

St Thomas is going to win by about 20 this weekend just in case people are wondering.

They got about 17k last year. And st. Thomas is higher ranked this year. THey could get 20k this weekend.

Which is it? You said that they can play right out of high school or are they sitting behind D1 transfers?

According to the STRIB today "An MIAC record crowd of at least 15,000 is expected; the current record is 13,107 for Bethel at St. John's in 2003, when Gagliardi passed Eddie Robinson as college football's all-time winningest coach." So, I am not sure where you got 17,000 last year.

Anyone who says DIII players aren't any good is rediculous. They are no where close to D1 players but very few players walk out of high school and walk onto the field in the MIAC and play right away. I am not a MIAC alum, but I do enjoy watching a game here or there. I am a season ticket holder for the Gophers. I love going to Gopher games, but the MIAC scene is a different kind of fun.

No offense to the Gophers but they are pretty pathetic and I've lost all hope in them.

You've lost all hope in the Gophers, but you still come here. Must mean you haven't lost hope in us! Touching, very touching:)

Don't worry my beloved hornets got their first win on a 99yrd TD pass in the final minute.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygsjMLFUCOU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygsjMLFUCOU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Top Bottom