Real College FB team

SJUgopher

Reaction score
Since it's a lost year for the Gopher Football team and we all want to see good football played...

#4 UST @ #19 SJU

If you want to experience one of the truly great experiences in all of college football (top 10 actually) a football game at SJU. Head up to St. John's for homecoming this weekend and the annual Tommie/Johnnie football game. If you want to see passionate fans, come and watch. They're expecting 10-15k+ people. Last year SJU won in overtime.

Might be the last Tommie/Johnnie for John Gagliardi.

LOL, yuk. The most creepy place in Minnesota.

Since it's a lost year for the Gopher Football team and we all want to see good football played...

#4 UST @ #19 SJU

If you want to experience one of the truly great experiences in all of college football (top 10 actually) a football game at SJU. Head up to St. John's for homecoming this weekend and the annual Tommie/Johnnie football game. If you want to see passionate fans, come and watch. They're expecting 10-15k+ people. Last year SJU won in overtime.

Might be the last Tommie/Johnnie for John Gagliardi.

Nice little thing they got going up there, but the term "good football" can mean a lot of different things. For the most part you're watching kids who couldn't earn D1 or D2 scholarships, its entertaining if you've never watched "good football" (or went to the schools), I'll give you that.

Nice little thing they got going up there, but the term "good football" can mean a lot of different things. For the most part you're watching kids who couldn't earn D1 or D2 scholarships, its entertaining if you've never watched "good football" (or went to the schools), I'll give you that.

Certainly haven't watched good football at the U in a long time - maybe 1 year in my life. Actually, there's a lot of kids that have earned scholarships but have chosen to transfer to a lower division, either for academics or lack of playing time.

Don't knock the players, they're way more athletic than most ever hope to be. SJU's kicker last year could've started on most teams in all divisions in college football, especially the Gophers.

Certainly haven't watched good football at the U in a long time - maybe 1 year in my life. Actually, there's a lot of kids that have earned scholarships but have chosen to transfer to a lower division, either for academics or lack of playing time.

Don't knock the players, they're way more athletic than most ever hope to be. SJU's kicker last year could've started on most teams in all divisions in college football, especially the Gophers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiKMd6jTa-w

Yep. Shame on me for opening up a thread on the GopherHole message board and expecting to find some sort of insight into the Gopher football team.

Can someone point me in the direction of the Eden Prairie high school football thread?

Yep. Shame on me for opening up a thread on the GopherHole message board and expecting to find some sort of insight into the Gopher football team.

Can someone point me in the direction of the Eden Prairie high school football thread?

You've come to the wrong place if you want insight...just a bunch of meltdowns going on here.

Yea, OK. Strippers are way more athletic than most as well.

And didn't the title give it away.

When the college bubble bursts it'll be small private schools that get it the worst.

LOL

I have some problems with this Johnny boy. First you say don't knock the D3 players- and let's be realistic, it is mostly a continuation of HS football, but this is after you say the Gophers aren't a "real" team. Not to mention you also question the fan support and talk about how great the 10,00 fans at a D3 football game are. There is a reason there is not as much interest in division 3 football. Don't try to say that these teams are even close in quality to an FBS college football team. Have coach Gagliardi and his powerhouse program take on the Gophers if they are so great, I'm sure they could compete with them.
________
MERCEDES-BENZ G-CLASS SPECIFICATIONS

Most of the players on the good D3 teams are guys who transferred out of D1 schools (like 4-6 of St. Thomas' starters) or guys that chose D3 instead of D2 or D1. If you can play at St. Thomas for free on general scholarship...wouldn't you rather do that than go play at Mankato on full football scholarship? Especially if you can play right away, get a better degree, and look at better looking college women?
You are right when it comes to the mid to lower tier D3 schools. St. Thomas could play with and beat most teams at the D2 level.

St Thomas is going to win by about 20 this weekend just in case people are wondering.

They got about 17k last year. And st. Thomas is higher ranked this year. THey could get 20k this weekend.

When the college bubble bursts it'll be small private schools that get it the worst.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Small colleges don't play football to make money. All D3 athletics are not for profit. These teams are in it to widen their student base and diversity. Their endowments are so huge that it doesn't even make a significant dent in the budget. Macalester hasn't charged admission to football games for like 6 years now, I don't see them folding up shop.

The schools that will be hurt when the college athletics bubble bursts are the schools that are publicly funded that are running athletic depts in the red. The St. Cloud State's, SW State's will be the ones hurt the most. Notice how the major story about possibly dropping football was about SCSU, not a DIII school. DIII schools that may be hurt would be the public schools, like Morris or Crookston, not the private schools.

Crookston is D2. They're in the NSIC. They moved up in 1999, and Morris moved down in 2003.

I have some problems with this Johnny boy. First you say don't knock the D3 players- and let's be realistic, it is mostly a continuation of HS football, but this is after you say the Gophers aren't a "real" team. Not to mention you also question the fan support and talk about how great the 10,00 fans at a D3 football game are. There is a reason there is not as much interest in division 3 football. Don't try to say that these teams are even close in quality to an FBS college football team. Have coach Gagliardi and his powerhouse program take on the Gophers if they are so great, I'm sure they could compete with them.

Division III football is not a substitute for Division I football and no one will dispute that. The 1-11 Gopher squad of 2007 would have beaten a team of MIAC all-stars by 28 points. However, any time you get any of the top 3-4 teams in the MIAC playing against each other, it is a good brand of football. Calling D3 football a continuation of high school means you either (a) have only watched a game between Macalester and Hamline or (b) have never watched. Getting 15-20k (expected attendance in Collegeville) on Saturday to a school that claims 4k enrollment between the Johnnies/Bennies is a great atmosphere – especially in SJU’s unique stadium when the fall colors are approaching. The Gophers can’t fill their modest new digs and are representing one of the largest universities in the country. As a Gopher fan, you certainly have to appreciate the pageantry of college football, otherwise being a Gopher fan has probably aged you 3x faster than time has.

Also, the MIAC boasts rosters full of young men who can hold DE contain, line up correctly, tackle, make proper reads, and take proper angles of pursuit – it can be very enlightening – and I believe this is the jest of SJUGopher’s original post.

Most of the players on the good D3 teams are guys who transferred out of D1 schools (like 4-6 of St. Thomas' starters) or guys that chose D3 instead of D2 or D1. If you can play at St. Thomas for free on general scholarship...wouldn't you rather do that than go play at Mankato on full football scholarship? Especially if you can play right away, get a better degree, and look at better looking college women?
You are right when it comes to the mid to lower tier D3 schools. St. Thomas could play with and beat most teams at the D2 level.

St Thomas is going to win by about 20 this weekend just in case people are wondering.

They got about 17k last year. And st. Thomas is higher ranked this year. THey could get 20k this weekend.

I would rather watch big10 football in a big10 football stadium every time rather than watch a DIII game. Why not watch a game with two teams that have rosters full of DI talent. I think it's great that a little DIII game in Collegeville can get so much hype but when push comes to shove DIII football makes me yawn.

...get a better degree...

Not to derail... although this entire thread is a derail. It's highly debatable if St. Thomas offers "a better degree" than any of the state colleges. If by better you mean "more expensive" then sure but if you mean "higher quality" then it certainly depends on the area of study. My personal experience in interviewing entry-level candidates for software development roles has led me to conclude that the state schools offer a much higher quality education for people going into those fields than the private schools do. Once they get past entry level it doesn't matter where they went to school.

/end derailment

I make no illusions that playing on a DIII team means a lot around here.

An Ole friend of mine (I'm a Tommie) saw the Tommies throttle the Oles a couple weeks ago. He's been watching MIAC football for a long time. He's 100% convinced after seeing the Tommies that this is the year they take over the reigns from the Johnnies as the MIAC's football kingpin. He said the Tommies finally have a coach who will do something with all that talent they have every year. He says UST by two touchdowns over the Johnnies, even though it's in Collegeville.

IF you were to add up the attendance at the MIAC games every week, you most likely would have between 20,000 plus and 30,000 attending every week, depending upon where the games are played. Gustavus, St. Olaf, Carleton, St. Johns, St. Thomas, Concordia, Bethel, Hamline, Augsburg all have some strong followings.

At TCF BANK STADIUM, we get a bit over 50,000 fans...or, at least used to.

Throw in Division II football and The Gophers probably draw fewer fans for home games than the "small colleges" do on a weekly basis within the state of Minnesota. Why knock small college football? I'm loyal to the Gophers, but I have seen some fantastic MIAC games in some wonderful and beautiful small college settings.

And, to anyone who thinks MIAC Institutions will disappear in tough economic times...I'd say that the state schools will find the going equally tough...if not tougher. Don't try to tell me that they don't waste a LOT of money at the U of M and some of those administrators throw around millions and millions of dollars to buy out coaches, etc without thinking twice. Not to mention the many layers of administrators at the state schools and U of M. State schools are tied to congresmen/women and other legislative waste machines. The U and state schools will have tougher and tougher going the longer the recession/depression hangs on. And if taxes are lowered...or raised there will be many problems in the future.

ENDOWMENT is the name of the game. Those colleges with solid endowments will survive. Those without may not survive as easily or as well. It's a tough time to try to add to endowments, unless you have to real old timers firmly in your corner if you are trying to grow your endowments as a University or college. HONOR those old timers who are going to journey on to their hereafter during the next decade. They will help you build your endowments.

And, to the cost effectivness play: Do you honestly think it's cheaper to move to the Twin Cities and spend 5 years or longer attending the U of M or to go to a private school for 4 years and graduate? Many of the private schools also have incredible "merit" scholarships that make the cost at least on a par with state schools. In Minnesota, the privates DO compete cost-wise for great students who have excellent SAT's and ACT's. Enought of this state school snobishness vs private school equally snobish nonsense. People need to decide individually what is best for them and then go to that school, work hard enough and accomplish enough to prove their own point.

It isn't that people are bashing small college football. The problem is that people are using small colleges to bash the Gophers: this doesn't exactly build goodwill to the small colleges! I don't see any relevance of the total attendance at D-II and D-III football games in the state. That's like saying that a collection of jockeys is taller than an NBA Center, because the total height of the jockeys is greater.

You are right - games at either St. John's or St. Thomas are great fun - and well played. I have seen many, many over the years.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Small colleges don't play football to make money. All D3 athletics are not for profit. These teams are in it to widen their student base and diversity. Their endowments are so huge that it doesn't even make a significant dent in the budget. Macalester hasn't charged admission to football games for like 6 years now, I don't see them folding up shop.

The schools that will be hurt when the college athletics bubble bursts are the schools that are publicly funded that are running athletic depts in the red. The St. Cloud State's, SW State's will be the ones hurt the most. Notice how the major story about possibly dropping football was about SCSU, not a DIII school. DIII schools that may be hurt would be the public schools, like Morris or Crookston, not the private schools.

sports sports sports is your whole world sports? I wasn't referring to the bubble being college athletics. If you are not aware of the 'bubble' in college tuition then look into it. I think your 15 min on the library computer is up.

I've seen high school games more entertaining than the gophers this year and if I had to choose between a gopher game this Saturday or the Tommy/ Johny game it would be a no brainer to go up to St. Johns to see an actual good game of ball played. No offense to the Gophers but they are pretty pathetic and I've lost all hope in them.

I don't care how much D1 talent is on the field, that has nothing to do with an entertaining football game. Yeah, lets go watch the 110th ranked gophers play this weekend.

Top Bottom