Ray Christensen's golden voice adds to Gophers' emotional return home

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As if September 12, 2009 needed anything extra to make it a special night, thanks to Dave Mona and WCCO, Gopher fans will be treated once again to THE voice of Gopher sports as Ray Christensen joins the broadcast crew for the first drive of the second half against Air Force. In its ongoing "TCF Bank Stadium - Changing Gopher Athletics Forever" series, GopherHole.com once again talks with Ray about what his return to the airwaves means to him, as well as his memories of Memorial Stadium.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1036

Countdown to first anti-Dave Lee post...

6... 5... 4... 3... 2...

This man is a legend in my mind. Unfortunately I will not be able to hear his broadcast since I will be at the game (and I'm not one of those nerds that has the headset on), but hopefully will hear it after.

When I hear his voice it reminds me of being a kid and listening to the games when they weren't on TV. Dad always had the radio on if we were out in the yard or camping, etc. He should have his name retired or something named after him in the new stadium.

Well done Gopher Staff!:clap:

He is a legend and I still find myself trying to match his voice when the Gophers take the lead...

"And the GOPHERS lead by two!"

You Asked For It

Those listening on radio will endure the bungled broadcast for a half, before they will hear what it should sound like. Ray at around 80, and little contact with team will know the down, distance, time, and players. That compared to the first half were details were either missing, misstated, or mangled. That first series of the second half, come on team make it a long drive of 8 minutes. Use up the quarter. The more Ray the better.

Dave Lee is an embarasement to the University, The Team, and Learfield. Heck, we have a member of the Gopherhole with the moniker, Fire Dave Lee.

Details, details. How much more do you want? Dave Lee told you the ball was thrown, now you want him to actually tell you whether the ball was caught? The next thing you know, you will want him to tell you you how many yards were gained.

Seriously, it's frustrating when you are listening to a play and you have no clue what just happened. You're told there was a running play, but did it get 2 yards or 6 yards? Is it 3rd and long or third and short?

People doing broadcast for high school games do a better job, because they focus on the basics first.

what is the story with dave lee being able to "hang onto" his play calling gig?

i mean the gophers athletic office and learfield have to know by now that dave lee and his play calling style is very unpopular with most WCCO listeners. does he have a revealing picture of the learfield ceo or something?! do tell!

I'll go to the game. I'll bring my radio. I'll watch and listen. It would nice if they would play Ray over the Stadium's Sound System.

I'll go to the game. I'll bring my radio. I'll watch and listen. It would nice if they would play Ray over the Stadium's Sound System.

If you're referring to the main scoreboard speakers then they can't. You can't have any amplified sound going while the play is in progress. If you're talking about in the bathrooms/outside the stadium that should already be planned since that's what they did during the scrimmage on Sat.

It would be nice to know exactly when Ray C. will call a series

For instance it we knew that he'd be calling the first Gopher possession of the 2nd quarter. If that were the case I might make my way down to my restroom of choice, get in line for a stall and hunker down just to listen Ray's call of the game since the radio broadcasts are to be heard in the restrooms.

Off topic but any restroom story reminds me of this:

http://www.theunticket.com/george-brett-shits-himself-story/

Some salty language but oh so funny.

For instance it we knew that he'd be calling the first Gopher possession of the 2nd quarter. If that were the case I might make my way down to my restroom of choice, get in line for a stall and hunker down just to listen Ray's call of the game since the radio broadcasts are to be heard in the restrooms.

Off topic but any restroom story reminds me of this:

http://www.theunticket.com/george-brett-shits-himself-story/

Some salty language but oh so funny.

well, if you had actually taken the time to read the gopherhole interview it specifically stated that ray will be calling the gophers first offensive possesion of the 2nd half. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom