Ray Christensen to be part of Air Force broadcast!

glovedgopher

Sec 210 row 23
Reaction score
Ray is Back

Ray Christensen to call the TCF opener, cool.

The man should be cloned.

Dave Lee should be broadcasting flip cup games from frat row.

I love it! I grew up listening to Ray. I miss him calling the games.......soooo much!

How did Dave Lee ever get hired?
I thought he was bad doing football, then I heard him do the state basketball tournament.

What a great idea! Haven’t always been a great fan of Maturi, the sports marketing department or Learfield, but whoever came up with this idea deserves credit. Now, if we could only work on play-by-play for the rest of the game and those that follow.

Oh man how I miss Ray.

Don't get me wrong...I love going to all home games and thanks to ESPN/BTN I can watch nearly all road games on tv...but there is something I miss about being a kid and cranking up the radio to listen to Ray.

broadcast over the speakers

If they really want to do this right, they would pipe the series he calls into the stadium--the people who really loved Ray will mostly be there. I'd guess the sound system is better than the dome, so it should be workable.

If they really want to do this right, they would pipe the series he calls into the stadium--the people who really loved Ray will mostly be there. I'd guess the sound system is better than the dome, so it should be workable.

They could only do this in the concourses/bathrooms/etc (which hopefully they'll do all the time anyway). They can't have it broadcast over the main speakers in the seating area while play is in progress as it would violate NCAA rules. So most folks would miss it anyway assuming they're in their seats watching the game (unless they have a handy dandy portable radio of course).

A great honor for a Great man...

The only negative with having Ray calling a series in the first game is that it will expose Dave Lee's incompetence.

Lee will suffer greatly by comparison.

If you go to the main page at Gophersports and not just click on the article in this thread, you can listen to Ray on a video by clicking on the picture with the story. From a game against Iowa which had to have been in the early 90s.

The only negative with having Ray calling a series in the first game is that it will expose Dave Lee's incompetence.

Lee will suffer greatly by comparison.

This is only a negative if you are a Dave Lee fan.....

I look at "exposing" Lee's shortcomings in this way a very good positive!!!!

Great move by the U in bringing Ray back for the first game. However, what an indictment on the current play-by-play guy that most fans (including me) would prefer an 80-year old man calling the game over Dave Lee. I've heard rumors that the reason Lee has kept his job is that some big donor is a huge Dave Lee backer and will pull his donations if Lee is canned.

Agreed... a class act for a man in a class of his own:clap:

I recall how some of the younger sports fans around here on the former Gopher Hole used to complain about Ray. Isn't it funny how what goes around comes around. Personally, I always liked Ray just fine. I had my share of agguments and/or contrasts at the old Gopher Hole over just that very subject. I warned those people that they just might wish they had old Ray back after he was gone...but...of course, they just called me an "idiot" Isn't that funny? Of course, "...that was then and this is now..." I guess they were the "fools..."

I watched at William's Arena as Ray broadcast his last Gopher Hoops game on WCCO. It was an NIT game, the Gophers made quite a come back and even took it into overtime before losing. (It may have been against Tulsa, I believe.) and a fair number of people in William's Waited long after the game had ended and watched while he was still up in his broadcasting booth. When he signed off and left, there was a kind of empty feeling in William's Arena. As I drove home, I listened on WCCO as they made a huge tribute of that evening for Ray's final broadcast late into the night.

I also got to shake Ray's hand following the 2000 Gopher win over OSU at the Horseshoe after the game. There was a large gathering of Gopher Supporters cheering on the Gopher Coaches and players as they exited the stadium. Ray had broadcast that game and talked about how he had tears in his eyes as that game ended with the Gophers winning in Columbus for the first time since 1949.

That is the kind of stuff Golden Gopher and "Ray" memories are made of!

I don't remember anyone ever complaining about Ray's football broadcasts. Towards the end the game of basketball tended to be a little fast for him. Those were the only complaints I ever heard about.

Everyone loves Ray.

This is a great idea. Dave Mona has been pushing for this for a while:

GH: You are known for your well-done pre-game Gopher vignettes. Have you thought about what you will write prior to the first game at TCF Bank Stadium?
DM: I haven’t thought about that yet, but I would like to get Ray Christiansen back in radio booth for that game. It just feels right that he should be there. There are some hoops we’ll have to jump through from a logistical standpoint, but I hope we can make it a reality.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=803

Go Gophers!!

It will be great to have him back, but count me as one who always thought Ray was good but not great. I remember flipping between a Timberwolves game with Kevin Harlan on the radio and a Gopher BB game with Ray, thinking there was no comparison between the two.

I think I like Ray better today for two reasons. First, the nostalgia. He did it for so long, he really was -- is -- the voice of Gopher sports. He brings back memories of a different era (or eras, plural), from my childhood to adulthood. He has a distinctive voice, and hearing it makes me feel good. Also, the falloff from Ray to Dave Lee is dramatic. Ray seems so much better now because of what I hear on WCCO today.

I worked in the basement (dungeon) of the Big 10 slicing meats and other sub items for a couple years. I couldn't wait to listen to Ray call football and basketball games. Ray didn't call things the best, but we was great to listen to. There would be a tipped ball and you could hear the crowd react but Ray would get so worked up it would take him a solid 10 seconds to tell you what happened. I swear he'd say, "oh my goodness, that was close" and just lead you on before actually telling you what happened. It was like having your heart stop a few, times each hour but I loved it every time.

Great move by the U in bringing Ray back for the first game. However, what an indictment on the current play-by-play guy that most fans (including me) would prefer an 80-year old man calling the game over Dave Lee. I've heard rumors that the reason Lee has kept his job is that some big donor is a huge Dave Lee backer and will pull his donations if Lee is canned.

that is the most messed up sentence i have ever read. if true, i would like to know who that backer is and punch him/her in the teeth! dave lee is just plain bad at his job.

must have overlooked it in the thread, but just read that ray will only be able to do the first series of the second half. that is B.S.! what did that tool dave lee go crying to his friends at learfield that he didn't want ray to steal his thunder (like that would be hard to do) by calling the entire first game in the new stadium? :mad:

just listened to some ray christensen highlights. was like sweet music being played..

dave lee on the other hand.....like finger nails on a chalk board.

Let's just hope that first offensive series is a long one!

Only calling the first offensive series or the second half....?!!?! What a joke-

Mona BLOWS
Dave Lee is LOW CLASS
DT is sub-par at best

I bet Minnesota is the only Big Ten Team that has a morning drive disk jockey (actually a morning drive comercial jockey) as their football play by play announcer.
How sad is that?

I always thought the only reason we have been stuck with Dave Lee is because he works cheap.

Top Bottom