Rate the Refs for the OSU game (1/3)

How would you rate the refs in today's game vs OSU?

• Among the best

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Above average

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • About average

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Below average

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Among the worst

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
Okay, let's see if there's interests in doing this for each of the games.

First, who were the refs (I can rarely tell ... even with the StatsSheet site -- sure wish the NCAA had a numbering system like the NBA uses so you can look 'em up.)

Anyway, how would you rate today's refs? (I thought they were a bit above average ... they blew some calls and made some calls with which I disagreed from my vantage point about 100 feet from the floor ... but I didn't see a call that really affected the game one way or another)

It'd be interesting, for someone with any sort of math ability (not me!) to compare these rankings with the game outcome.

Barn... I am a retired Math Teacher.....how does Math have to do with the flow of a BB game. The refs let the guys play, some rough stuff both ways, but consistent both ways. That is all we ask. Once the guys on the floor know consistency, they will play that way, and today our win was that way....

People think refs are better when we win. Is it that hard to comprehend?

I picked among the best, but I'm pretty sure, had they lost, that I would think things were very different.

I know that the older ref with the comb-over like hair is Ted Hillary.

Further, I enjoyed this game (for the most part) in that they let the players play. I don't like games that have whistle after whistle. They let things go a little too much at times, but I prefer that to calling everything. And that has nothing to do with winning or losing.

Referees

They are usually listed on the bottom of complete boxscores (ie Foxsports or Yahoo). Today's referees were: Hillary, Collins, & Wymer.

Any slightly-above-casual fan of the Big Ten would recognize Ted Hillary, who does more Big Ten games than any other referee, based on last year's games. 2nd is BIG Steve Welmer, 3rd is Ed Hightower (Bobby Knight's BFF).

Any slightly-above-casual fan of the Big Ten would recognize Ted Hillary, who does more Big Ten games than any other referee, based on last year's games. 2nd is BIG Steve Welmer, 3rd is Ed Hightower (Bobby Knight's BFF).
Guess I must be a somewhat-below-casual fan then. :rolleyes:

I like that they let them play. It drives me crazy when refs bailout out-of-control drives to the hoop by calling a foul on a retreating defender. Most crews make several calls like this every game. This crew did not. Kudos.

I think they were OK, they were consistent.

As Coach Z said in the broadcast, all the coach wants is that the refs call the game the same way throughout.

After attending both games, I thought today's game was significantly less physical than Wednesday's. Obviously there are other differences between MSU and OSU but this definitely seemed to benefit the Gophers.

One of the worst no-calls I've seen this year on an Evan Turner jumper when Sampson smacked him right in the face, if that call goes the other way the Barn would have been screaming.

It'd be interesting, for someone with any sort of math ability (not me!) to compare these rankings with the game outcome.

I remember a website from guys at Purdue who had done that. I think they were trying to show a few refs had it out for them. I wanna say that Hightower wasn't among their favorite refs to see on the floor.

From what I saw yesterday, I thought the refs were consistent.

I loved the reffing for 33 minutes...they let them play, it was tough in the paint, and it was consistent for both teams. then w/ like 7 minutes left they started calling everything on us (I am sure Tubby told the Gophs that with a 15 point lead now is the time to start hacking the Buckeyes and putting them on the line, lol)...inconsistency in reffing throughout a game is one of my least favorite things. call the game the same for 40 minutes so the teams can adjust and play the game. overall it didn't really matter...the reffing had little impact on this game which is how it is supposed to be.

One of the worst no-calls I've seen this year on an Evan Turner jumper when Sampson smacked him right in the face, if that call goes the other way the Barn would have been screaming.

Carter got slapped in the face once under the basket and there was no call.

I remember a website from guys at Purdue who had done that. I think they were trying to show a few refs had it out for them. I wanna say that Hightower wasn't among their favorite refs to see on the floor.

From what I saw yesterday, I thought the refs were consistent.

This?

Top Bottom