Rashod Bateman: "I fell in love with Minnesota. I've thought about it, I think I'm going to retire and live on Lake Minnetonka."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Rashod Bateman formed a plan the summer before last season.

The Gophers receiver had gone wakeboarding on Lake Minnetonka with a couple of teammates, and spent the July 4th holiday at Zack Annexstad's cabin near Alexandria, home to the Jim & Judy's gas station that Bateman reps with his favorite hat. He'd attended Twins games, explored downtown Minneapolis, frequented the Mall of America.

And he'd come to the conclusion this was home.

"Ever since I've been here, I haven't been homesick. I haven't gotten homesick once," the Tifton, Ga., native said last fall. "I fell in love with Minnesota. I've thought about it, I think I'm going to retire and live on Lake Minnetonka."

Those retirement plans look a little closer this season, almost certainly Bateman's last since he already declared for the 2021 NFL draft once. But he ultimately decided to return to the Gophers and play in the reinstated Big Ten season that begins Saturday.

Go Gophers!!

Great story. Thanks for sharing. So happy to hear he feels home in the Twin Cities with everything and think it will speak volumes to any kid coming from southern states

Many athletics retire here. Glad to hear Bateman is adjusting well!

Rashod is a program changer. I really believe that. He is so good on the field and just as good off it. We are very fortunate to have him represent the Gophers. May be my all-time favorite Gopher.

Hopefully my invitation to join him doesn't get lost in the mail.

Some people can't handle the cold weather and the snow. Some people are not as bothered by it. I'm much more irritated by HOT weather. But spring - fall in Minnesota are fantastic. The Twin Cities are widely regarded as one of the best metro areas in the nation to live. Hopefully some of the restlessness settles down.

Statements like this are good for the program. Signaling to prospects from the south that it's not an eight month dead period up here every year. We're extremely lucky to have a young man like Bateman represent the program. Should no doubt go down as one of the great players of all time for the Gophers.

That's say'n something coming from a Georgia guy... but I guess he's a Minnesota guy now ;)

Georgia sure could have used a WR who catches the ball last weekend ;)

That's say'n something coming from a Georgia guy... but I guess he's a Minnesota guy now ;)

Georgia sure could have used a WR who catches the ball last weekend ;)
Being in the hiring business so to speak, it's always been a challenge to get people to move here for a job opportunity but when they do, a large majority never leave.

Being in the hiring business so to speak, it's always been a challenge to get people to move here for a job opportunity but when they do, a large majority never leave.

A few of my best friends are not from here. Moved around chasing jobs, moved with families, lived overseas, etc and now they have no intention of ever leaving. Their plans to "stay for a couple years" started in 2012, now they own houses here and if they look for other jobs, they are remote working or other local companies. Funny how the state keeps you here.

A few of my best friends are not from here. Moved around chasing jobs, moved with families, lived overseas, etc and now they have no intention of ever leaving. Their plans to "stay for a couple years" started in 2012, now they own houses here and if they look for other jobs, they are remote working or other local companies. Funny how the state keeps you here.
For sure. Central location great for travel throughout the States, culture and sporting events abound, and it gives you a reason for Winter vacation trips to warm places! I have had many transplants do the last, especially those who ride motorcycles or are into RVing. Great time to plan a ride/trip in warmer climates.

I have used it where talking to candidates from other states...MN may not be on your list of places to live, but those who move here usually never leave.

per Megan:

Rashod Bateman formed a plan the summer before last season.

The Gophers receiver had gone wakeboarding on Lake Minnetonka with a couple of teammates, and spent the July 4th holiday at Zack Annexstad's cabin near Alexandria, home to the Jim & Judy's gas station that Bateman reps with his favorite hat. He'd attended Twins games, explored downtown Minneapolis, frequented the Mall of America.

And he'd come to the conclusion this was home.

"Ever since I've been here, I haven't been homesick. I haven't gotten homesick once," the Tifton, Ga., native said last fall. "I fell in love with Minnesota. I've thought about it, I think I'm going to retire and live on Lake Minnetonka."

Those retirement plans look a little closer this season, almost certainly Bateman's last since he already declared for the 2021 NFL draft once. But he ultimately decided to return to the Gophers and play in the reinstated Big Ten season that begins Saturday.

Go Gophers!!
1603474362783.gif
Why don’t you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

I cannot wait to watch Rashod today. My excitement about this season is about twice what it would be if Rashod were not playing. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be a fired up Gopher fan. But with Rashod.... my chili is hot.

Great interview with Maria Taylor. Class act and hope he lights it up tonight !

Holy cow, Jim & Judy's!

My grandma used to have a little place on Lake Miltona back in the 90s and I remember going to Jim & Judy's to get candy and play arcade games. I'm so happy to imagine Rashod Bateman hanging out there.

Makes me wish I could go to the Miltona Supper Club and honor grandma Eileen by playing about a hundred pull tabs.

Holy cow, Jim & Judy's!

My grandma used to have a little place on Lake Miltona back in the 90s and I remember going to Jim & Judy's to get candy and play arcade games. I'm so happy to imagine Rashod Bateman hanging out there.

Makes me wish I could go to the Miltona Supper Club and honor grandma Eileen by playing about a hundred pull tabs.
My parents live up in Carlos, so we play at the Miltona golf course whenever we go visit them and drive by Jim & Judy's on the way.

Top Bottom