'Rare in this climate': Parker Fox applauds Dawson Garcia's loyalty

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Nolan:

As players have come and gone via the NCAA transfer portal, Dawson Garcia has remained steadfast in his return to the Gophers men’s basketball program.

Garcia, the Gophers’ leading scorer from a year ago at 17.6 points per game, originally transferred to the U ahead of the 2022-23 season after spending a season apiece at Marquette and North Carolina. He’s been one of Minnesota’s most consistent contributors over the last two years.

Go Gophers!!

I do think it’s a bit ironic that our most loyal player is on his third stop in his college career.
Not at all ironic. He didn’t want to play for Pitino, and his family situation has changed since he was a high school senior and decided to play for Marquette. When Buzz was fired there, he was offfered a wonderful opportunity to play at North Carolina, one of the historically premier basketball programs in the country.

Once he chose to come home, he’s been all maroon and gold (enhanced by NIL $$ from Dinkytown Athletics). Ironic, no. Strategic, for sure!

Not at all ironic. He didn’t want to play for Pitino, and his family situation has changed since he was a high school senior and decided to play for Marquette. When Buzz was fired there, he was offfered a wonderful opportunity to play at North Carolina, one of the historically premier basketball programs in the country.

Once he chose to come home, he’s been all maroon and gold (enhanced by NIL $$ from Dinkytown Athletics). Ironic, no. Strategic, for sure!
I don’t disagree with anything you wrote about his path to getting here.

I also think “ironic” describes this tweet and situation perfectly.

Anyone have a recruiting story with Pitino and Dawson? And how much $$ did he get to go to Marquette?

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote about his path to getting here.

I also think “ironic” describes this tweet and situation perfectly.
We can disagree on the use of the term ironic, but my main point is that Garcia has been strategic about his career, plus responded to family loyalties. He has parlayed staying a Gopher into a decent NIL senior year, plus if he plans to ever be in business in the Twin Cities, he has improved his local reputation and image (also not a bad strategy) if he’s thinking beyond basketball.

Anyone have a recruiting story with Pitino and Dawson? And how much $$ did he get to go to Marquette?
My memory is such that the decision went right down to the wire and others besides Marquette and us were in the mix. The message board gossip was that we were seriously considered at least in part because family preference was to have him near. I think most of us were hopeful right down to the wire. He set the precedent for Kerwin Walton who did the same thing.

If I recall correctly, Pitinio put a massive effort into recruiting both Dawson and Kerwin. Didn't get either one, but it wasn't for a lack of effort.
No, Patino did not put a massive effort into it that’s why he chose Marquette

Agree. Pitino did not put massive recruiting effort into any MN h.s. player. Probably never saw the inside of a h.s. Gym, or knew the route from Edina to Prior Lake. Would not have had Coffey if it were not for Ben Johnson.

He put a Pitino-sized massive effort into Garcia. They definitely wanted him bad. However, a massive effort by Pitino was probably much less than a massive effort by most other coaches.

Yeah, good thing we have been crushing it recruiting Minnesota now that Ben is on board… How many of these kids did he even offer??

Pitino’s early class of Oturu, Kalscheur, and Omersa was eerily similar to Ben’s prize class of Payne, Carrington and JOJ.

IMG_5353.jpegIMG_5352.jpegIMG_5351.jpeg

So….loyalty?

Top Bottom