Ranking the Top 25 coaches in college football - 247 - #16 PJ Fleck

They must think pretty highly of our program to have the coach rates lower than the team was.

There are no criteria listed for their rankings, but at least it's something to read about college football.

Fleck's blurb contains the following:

Barton's take: "There are plenty of Fleck haters out there. They call it a gimmick. They don’t buy into the slogans. The enthusiasm has to be fake they say. But there was no arguing with last season’s success at Minnesota. The steady build has happened. Last season was the breakthrough and Fleck is recruiting at a level Minnesota isn’t used to seeing. So now comes the hard part, breaking through that conference championship ceiling and sustaining success. Fleck can build but sustaining and getting to the top tier of college football are different challenges. Get that done and he’s shooting up even higher."

There are seven B1G coaches in their top 22:

22 Fitzgerald
19 Ferentz
18 Harbaugh
16 Fleck
11 Chryst
7 Day
6 Franklin

Their top five:

5 Riley (Oklahoma)
4 Smart (Georgia)
3 Orgeron (LSU)
2 Swinney (Clemson)
1 Saban (Alabama)

Smart at 4 doesn't make much sense to me given the talent Georgia gets handed to them.

Also, Ferentz seems low and I would probably put him over Harbaugh.

I think Franklin is way too high on this list. I think Day is TBD - he has inherited a lot - will be interesting to see how he sustains that success. Chryst is probably too high - benefits from the Alvarez system. Look how well Bielema did in that system and then destroyed Arkansas football.

Harbaugh getting a bump from success at previous stops?

Top Bottom