Ranking the loudest stadiums in the Big Ten (#8. TCF Bank Stadium)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Buckeyes Wire:

8. TCF Bank Stadium, Minnesota

Why the Ranking?​

Minnesota’s home stadium actually has a lot going for it. It’s the newest venue in the league and has some shine to it. Unfortunately, it’s not known as a very hostile environment. Even a big-game atmosphere is just OK. We’ll see what happens if and when the Gophers compete for more things on a regular basis.

Go Gophers!!

The metrodome was probably the loudest in the Big Ten for the very few big games that occurred there.

TCF has its moments. Dome had its moments too...in particular one Friday night...

Need that to read in the future "TCF has its halfs..." with the goal being 2 of them in one game...

I found the generated, fake crowd noise at both the Dome and TCF to be very annoying.
I have been repeatedly to TCF and the Camp and even at near capacity TCF is not as loud with genuine crowd noise.
The Camp got louder when they raised the sides which enclosed the noise. TCF is much more open and to be blunt the audience is less noisy.

I found the generated, fake crowd noise at both the Dome and TCF to be very annoying.
I have been repeatedly to TCF and the Camp and even at near capacity TCF is not as loud with genuine crowd noise.
The Camp got louder when they raised the sides which enclosed the noise. TCF is much more open and to be blunt the audience is less noisy.
I've never heard fake crowd noise at TCF. Not sure what you were hearing.

I've never heard fake crowd noise at TCF. Not sure what you were hearing.
Yeah it's possible but I've never thought I was hearing fake crowd noise either.

I go to all the games at TCF and some get pretty quiet ... they don't seem to do it then ... so when would they do it?

Yeah it's possible but I've never thought I was hearing fake crowd noise either.

I go to all the games at TCF and some get pretty quiet ... they don't seem to do it then ... so when would they do it?

I'm wondering if the Badger fan is referring to the loud music they play at TCF between downs or before big plays?

I'm wondering if the Badger fan is referring to the loud music they play at TCF between downs or before big plays?
That would make sense.... just hype music, not much different than the band IMO.

Agree with the placement, disagree with the comment about "big game atmosphere". We just haven't had that many big games, but when we do it's incredible.

Haha...well this is just ONE guys' opinion. I was at the Penn State Game in 2019 and it was loud. So I call bullshit on this guys opinionated rankings. His rankings look be based on teams that win the most. So BS.

Yeah, that PSU game was next level - and I've been fortunate to be at a lot of big game atmospheres in the SEC and Big 10. The Wisconsin game in 2019 was also pretty nuts at the start and when Bateman caught that first TD to go up 7-0 (maybe even louder than maybe parts of the PSU game).

This list is basically what I expected, especially when it's focused on loudest. With Michigan, for example, I've read before that the bowl shape doesn't allow for as much noise.
All in all, though, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn state have well over 100,000 people, so it makes sense that they're on the louder end.
When you look at all of the others ahead of the Brick House, all of the respective teams have had the success that brings people to the stands. Since 2000:
  • Michigan State has had seven bowl wins, three division titles, three conference titles, seven ranked finishes and 13 winning seasons.
  • Wisconsin has had 11 bowl wins, 14 ranked finishes, five division titles, three conference championships and almost all winning seasons.
  • Iowa has had nine bowl wins, one division title, two conference championships, nine ranked finishes and 17 winning seasons.
Minnesota of course has been a lot more up and down in terms of success since 2000 and of course the gameday atmosphere didn't have as much consistency since it was at the Metrodome for a while.
I think there's definite proof that the Gophers can have a college gameday atmosphere up with the best of them. The 2012 game vs Syracuse, the season opener vs TCU and the Penn State match-up in 2019 all show how electric the stadium can be when the conditions are right.
Those conditions just have to be right more often. Mainly, it means success on the field and a good atmosphere. I think the latter is already met during games, so with some more consistent success, it will probably be considered more of a hostile environment.

This list is basically what I expected, especially when it's focused on loudest. With Michigan, for example, I've read before that the bowl shape doesn't allow for as much noise.
All in all, though, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn state have well over 100,000 people, so it makes sense that they're on the louder end.
When you look at all of the others ahead of the Brick House, all of the respective teams have had the success that brings people to the stands. Since 2000:
  • Michigan State has had seven bowl wins, three division titles, three conference titles, seven ranked finishes and 13 winning seasons.
  • Wisconsin has had 11 bowl wins, 14 ranked finishes, five division titles, three conference championships and almost all winning seasons.
  • Iowa has had nine bowl wins, one division title, two conference championships, nine ranked finishes and 17 winning seasons.
Minnesota of course has been a lot more up and down in terms of success since 2000 and of course the gameday atmosphere didn't have as much consistency since it was at the Metrodome for a while.
I think there's definite proof that the Gophers can have a college gameday atmosphere up with the best of them. The 2012 game vs Syracuse, the season opener vs TCU and the Penn State match-up in 2019 all show how electric the stadium can be when the conditions are right.
Those conditions just have to be right more often. Mainly, it means success on the field and a good atmosphere. I think the latter is already met during games, so with some more consistent success, it will probably be considered more of a hostile environment.
Very thing you said makes perfect sense. Having been to games in East Lansing…it belongs in the next tier.

Michigan state, Minnesota, Purdue are all 3 that can be rocking when their rocking and can be ghost towns.

i think one of the biggest things the gameday coordinators at the U need to figure out is how to get the fans into the moment. It happes at Vikings games and Wild games and even so when they both sucked. I get we're a pro sports town, but they also need to be better at generating their in game atmosphere

i think one of the biggest things the gameday coordinators at the U need to figure out is how to get the fans into the moment. It happes at Vikings games and Wild games and even so when they both sucked. I get we're a pro sports town, but they also need to be better at generating their in game atmosphere
So you think people should get drunker?

Halloween night 2015 got pretty loud with about 19 seconds to go in the game. But then 20 seconds later you could hear a pin drop. :cry:

Halloween night 2015 got pretty loud with about 19 seconds to go in the game. But then 20 seconds later you could hear a pin drop. :cry:
giphy.gif

my friend about broke my ankle when he jumped on my back when we thought it was TD insead of a half yard short

no worries, we got time left, a big QB, and only half yard to go

WTF, motion to the shotgun and only get one play off?

Top Bottom