Ranking the Gophers 2023 Opponents

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Hey Ya'll!

Started to ramp up some Gopher football articles.
Already working on my "Know your opponent article" for the Nebraska game.
Enjoy!

- Noel Thompson

Ranking the Gopher’s 2023 opponents from toughest to easiest.

The Minnesota Gophers enter the 2023 season after winning nine games in back-to-back seasons, the first time the program has done it since 1905. Things will look a little different in Dinkytown as the Gophers undergo their biggest makeover since P.J. Fleck took over seven years ago. For the first time since 2019, Tanner Morgan won’t be your quarterback to start the season as athletic big-arm Athan Kaliakmanis takes over full-time. Minnesota also loses one of the best running backs in program history, Mo Ibrahim. The Gophers are hoping Western Michigan transfer Sean Tyler will fill some of those shoes. There are still plenty of reasons to be optimistic, though. The Gophers have playmakers at the wide receiver and tight end positions thanks to the transfer portal and preseason All-American Brevyn Spann-Ford coming back. Their defense is led by safety Tyler Nubin, who has the potential to be an All-American by the end of the season.

According to ESPN, the Gophers have the second-toughest schedule in the country. Even with that being said, the ESPN College Football Power Index thinks the Gophers can still make it to the bowl this year as they have Minnesota favored in seven games. Vegas thinks the Gophers will go bowling too, with many having the over/under on wins set at 6.5.

I took a look at the Gophers schedule and ranked the games from toughest to easiest. I also provided what ESPN FPI thinks of Minnesota’s chances to win the game.

Toughest to Easiest Games for the 2023 Minnesota Gophers

1.Ohio State
Where: Ohio State
ESPN FPI: 3% Minnesota

The Buckeyes and Gophers have met a total of 54 times, with Minnesota coming away with a victory only seven times. The last time Minnesota beat Ohio State was the last time Minnesota won in Columbus, back in 2000. If the Gophers can come out of this game injury free, that will be a victory in itself.

2. Michigan
Where: Minnesota
ESPN FPI: 23% Minnesota

The Wolverines enter the season as favorites to win the conference again. The offense returns J.J. McCarthy under center, with studs Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards at tailback. The defense returns a good number of starters, including All-Big Ten linebacker Junior Colson.

3.Iowa
Where: Iowa.
ESPN FPI: 47% Minnesota.

I know that ESPN FPI thinks this is not as tough as the North Carolina game, but every Minnesota and Iowa fan knows that P.J. Fleck has yet to beat the Hawkeyes. The Big Ten West favorites have some holes to fill on defense, but don’t count out defensive coordinator Phil Parker's ability to reload. Cade McNamara will be the new starting quarterback after transferring from Michigan. Until Fleck can get this monkey off his back, this game will always be one of the toughest every season.

4.North Carolina
Where: North Carolina

Minnesota goes to Chapel Hill for their first road game of the season. They will take on a Heisman hopeful in Tarheel Quarterback Drake Maye. Maye finished 10th in Heisman voting last year. North Carolina finished second nationally in total yards per game with 358.5 last season.

5. Wisconsin
ESPN FPI: 47% Minnesota

The series between Minnesota and Wisconsin is tied at 62-62-8, with Minnesota beating the Badgers the last two years. Now enters new head coach Luke Fickell, who comes over from Cincinnati. This game could have Big Ten West champion implications.

6.Nebraska
ESPN FPI: 73% Minnesota

For me, the circumstances of this game influenced me almost more than the opponent. You never quite know what you are going to get with season openers, especially ones against a conference opponent on national TV. If you add all of that to playing a program pumped with energy over the hiring of Matt Rhule and a fan base that travels really well, this is indeed a tough game for Minnesota.

7.Illinois
ESPN FPI: 62% Minnesota
Bret Bielema has an 8-0 career record against the Gophers dating to his time as coach at Wisconsin. Illinois has beaten Minnesota the last two years. The Gophers should be plenty motivated for this game after the last few years.

8.Michigan State
ESPN FPI: 56% Minnesota

This is an interesting game for both teams, as they will both be coming off of playing their rivals a week before. The Gophers took it to the Spartans last year in East Lansing. A game I’m sure Mel Tucker still remembers.

9.Purdue
Where: Purdue
ESPN FPI: 53% Minnesota

This game always had a little tension between the coaching staffs, but not anymore. Former head coach Jeff Brohm went home to coach at Louisville, and Aidan O’Connel is no longer under center. Ryan Walters now takes over the program after being a defensive coordinator at Illinois last season.

10.Northwestern
Where: Northwestern
ESPN FPI: 67% Minnesota

I won’t be surprised if ESPN changes the percentages of this game before the season, as the Wildcats have had quite the summer within their program. Northwestern does return a decent number of players from last year’s team, which went 1-11 overall.

11.Louisiana-Lafayette
ESPN FPI: 87% Minnesota

The Ragin’ Cajuns defense last year finished 37th overall in the country. Last year, they beat Eastern Michigan, the Gophers 2023-week 2 opponent, by a score of 49-21. This will be the last non-conference game for Minnesota, but it will take place after they play two conference games against Nebraska and Northwestern.

12. Eastern Michigan
ESPN FPI: 92% Minnesota

The Eagles finished 9-4 overall last year under head coach Chris Creighton. The offense has to replace seven starters, but the defense returns its top two tacklers. They should be in contention to

4.North Carolina
Where: North Carolina

Minnesota goes to Chapel Hill for their first road game of the season. They will take on a Heisman hopeful in Tarheel Quarterback Drake Maye. Maye finished 10th in Heisman voting last year. North Carolina finished second nationally in total yards per game with 358.5 last season.
They have to be saying that their defense only gave up 358.5 YPG and not what their offense accumulated, right?

I’m putting Illinois ahead of Nebraska and Purdue ahead of Nebraska as well. Purdue might even be tougher than Illinois as it’s a road game.

I completely understand the comments about Illinois over Nebraska. That was a toughest choice for me in this list.
For me personally, I just think season openers are always a little tricky. Especially when you’re breaking in new starters. That’s just me. I’m also considering the fact half the stadium will be Nebraska fans, unfortunately.

I think Purdue will be take a step back this year with new coach, new players and new system. Gophers have always played well in West Lafayette under Fleck.

I’d put Illinois and Wisconsin ahead of UNC.

Lafayette and eastern Michigan are both better than northwestern

Top Bottom