Ranking the 41 college football bowl games from best to worst (28. Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse (7-5) vs. Minnesota (8-4))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo Sports:

28. Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse (7-5) vs. Minnesota (8-4)​

Syracuse started the season 6-0 before a miserable second half. The Orange lost five straight before closing out the regular season with a win over Boston College that assured a winning record in 2022. Syracuse has an excellent running back in Sean Tucker, but Minnesota has a better one. Mohamed Ibrahim is fourth nationally with 1,594 yards and second with 19 rushing scores. On what should be a cold day in New York City, the Gophers likely will try to ride Ibrahim to victory.

Go Gophers!!

Only bowl with a lower ranking that includes a P5 team is the Music City Bowl.

31. Music City Bowl: Kentucky (7-5) vs. Iowa (7-5)​

A bowl rematch! Kentucky and Iowa met in January in the Citrus Bowl. That was a 20-17 Kentucky win. Will this game have fewer points? Kentucky QB Will Levis has already declared for the draft and the offense averaged just 22 points per game in 2022. Iowa, well, you know how bad Iowa’s offense is at this point. The Hawkeyes averaged barely over 17 points per game in 2022 and QB Spencer Petras will miss the game due to injury while backup QB Alex Padilla has already announced his intent to transfer. Joey Labas and Carson May would seem to be Iowa’s QB options in this game and they’ve both never played a snap. This game will likely have the lowest over/under of any bowl game.

31. Music City Bowl: Kentucky (7-5) vs. Iowa (7-5)​

A bowl rematch! Kentucky and Iowa met in January in the Citrus Bowl. That was a 20-17 Kentucky win. Will this game have fewer points? Kentucky QB Will Levis has already declared for the draft and the offense averaged just 22 points per game in 2022. Iowa, well, you know how bad Iowa’s offense is at this point. The Hawkeyes averaged barely over 17 points per game in 2022 and QB Spencer Petras will miss the game due to injury while backup QB Alex Padilla has already announced his intent to transfer. Joey Labas and Carson May would seem to be Iowa’s QB options in this game and they’ve both never played a snap. This game will likely have the lowest over/under of any bowl game.
Well, I read this and wonder two things: why this bowl wasn't ranked even lower, and second, how on earth did the Music City Bowl think this was a remotely good matchup to possess? Hopefully the traveling Hawkeyes bail the bowl out. Just yuck.

Well, I read this and wonder two things: why this bowl wasn't ranked even lower, and second, how on earth did the Music City Bowl think this was a remotely good matchup to possess? Hopefully the traveling Hawkeyes bail the bowl out. Just yuck.
The worst offense in college football on one side

A team performing under expectations with a QB who likely opts out against a top 10 defense on the other side

First to 5 wins

if your not a Minnesota or Syracuse fan why would you have interest in this game?

If it's any consolation, here's what it looked like last year ( Note; we had an 8-4 record last year):

33. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia (6-6) vs. Minnesota (8-4)​

It’s hard to get excited about this one unless you’re a fan of either of these teams. This is a Minnesota team that lost to Bowling Green and West Virginia has been the epitome of .500 this season. And with this bowl game in Phoenix, so far away from either school, there may not be many fans in attendance.

If it's any consolation, here's what it looked like last year ( Note; we had an 8-4 record last year):

It’s hard to get excited about this one unless you’re a fan of either of these teams. This is a Minnesota team that lost to Bowling Green and West Virginia has been the epitome of .500 this season. And with this bowl game in Phoenix, so far away from either school, there may not be many fans in attendance.
The real reason for the ranking should have been the production value. It looked on tv like they were trying to save money on electricity and had most of the lights out.

Weirdly dark broadcast.

It also was in a bad time slot for anyone east of the Rockies.

With 41 bowls, you are going to get these kinds of matchups.

What surprised me most is that they matched two teams who played against each other in a bowl last year. I can see why the Music City wanted KY though.

The worst offense in college football on one side

A team performing under expectations with a QB who likely opts out against a top 10 defense on the other side

First to 5 wins
Maybe they just switch it up and only do two-point conversation tries the whole game...

Of the non-CFP games, ESPN predicts only us and Illinois to win. They have us by 9 points and Illinois by 2. If Utah plays anything like they did in the second half against USC, I think PSU is in trouble.

Of the non-CFP games, ESPN predicts only us and Illinois to win. They have us by 9 points and Illinois by 2. If Utah plays anything like they did in the second half against USC, I think PSU is in trouble.
Interestingly enough I see Illinois MSU has a horrible matchup for Illinois
MSU is one of the few teams that I feel confident can put up big numbers on that Illinois defense

The real reason for the ranking should have been the production value. It looked on tv like they were trying to save money on electricity and had most of the lights out.

Weirdly dark broadcast.
I would like for this to be the last game Gopher football plays in a baseball stadium.

From the Metrodome to Chase Field to Yankee Stadium - the production values are never good.

Because people love football. The Pinstripe bowl has varied in ratings from 2.5 - 5 million viewers over its history. All of these bowl games get surprisingly good ratings.
Those numbers are surprising to me

Bowl numbers in general are surprising. I posted this in another thread, but it's pretty eye-opening, and explains why there are so many games.

For contrast, a viewership of ~1 million is enough to be among the top average night's cable ratings on any given day. All but two bowls last year broke that threshold.

People love football. And the fun thing about the bowl games is that it's an opportunity for teams who never see one another get matched up. Part of the reason why getting the Pinstripe is such a bummer. Sure....it's a much different roster since the last time we played Syracuse....but we've still matched up against them more than any other non-conference P5 team in recent history.

All I can say is that I'll watch as many of the bowl games as I can. Bowl season is the best.

Because people love football. The Pinstripe bowl has varied in ratings from 2.5 - 5 million viewers over its history. All of these bowl games get surprisingly good ratings.
The Pinstripe Bowl gets the best ratings of anything broadcast on TV from Yankee Stadium outside of the World Series.

The decisive Game 5 between NYY and CLE didn't even draw 5 million viewers, and that was considered a huge TV audience for baseball.

Agree. There are 10-12 too many bowl games at least. Should probably only be 20-25 tops and a 7 win minimum to get in
TV ratings say otherwise, and that's what drives the bowls. We aren't going to see a reduction.

Top Bottom