Ranking every Big Ten football head coach heading into 2024 (7. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Trent:

7. P.J. Fleck (Minnesota)​

Fleck has already coached seven seasons at Minnesota and has fared quite well in the postseason. Under Fleck’s guidance, the Gophers are 5-0 in bowl games and Fleck has a 50-34 record while coaching Minnesota. Fleck is still looking to do something big in the Big Ten, but there is no doubt Minnesota has been better off since Fleck took the reins.

Go Gophers!!

Mike chimes in:

8. PJ Fleck

Prior to last year’s 6-7 record, PJ Fleck had gone 32-14 the previous four seasons. That’s a pretty good stretch at a school that isn’t easy to coach at. Prior to arriving at Minnesota, Fleck made his mark at Western Michigan, where he finished his last 3 seasons with a record of 29-11. Fleck is a good coach and is a good fit for Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Pretty fair rankings I think. I will say I'm interested to see how Lincoln Riley and Luke Fickell fair at their positions in the coming years, same with Matt Rhule. All three had success at previous spots (Rhule in college at least), interesting to see if that will hold in the next five years or so at these jobs.

Also, I'm not ready to count out Bielema. Illinois has been a difficult place to coach for a while now and while his team took a step back last year, but he came pretty close to .500 and a bowl berth. He can still make Illinois competitive I think.

Finally, Kirk Ferentz is appropriately placed because of his consistency. Even with the offensive issues he shows zero signs of slowing down. He hasn't had a real down year since 2012. I think the only questions now are how many years he stays before retiring and how does his offense change.

Pretty fair rankings I think. I will say I'm interested to see how Lincoln Riley and Luke Fickell fair at their positions in the coming years, same with Matt Rhule. All three had success at previous spots (Rhule in college at least), interesting to see if that will hold in the next five years or so at these jobs.

Also, I'm not ready to count out Bielema. Illinois has been a difficult place to coach for a while now and while his team took a step back last year, but he came pretty close to .500 and a bowl berth. He can still make Illinois competitive I think.

Finally, Kirk Ferentz is appropriately placed because of his consistency. Even with the offensive issues he shows zero signs of slowing down. He hasn't had a real down year since 2012. I think the only questions now are how many years he stays before retiring and how does his offense change.
Yep pretty fair assessment that takes some historical performance into consideration. Last year should be taken as an anomaly or a predictably inevtiable drop year looking at the overall body of work. Fleck hasn't developed to the point where he's one of the top dogs but he certainly is a good coach who's brought a traditionally down on its luck team into a different tier in the conference in terms of overall win/loss and general perception. He's our dude.

Top Bottom