Ranking Big Ten coaches from best to worst (9. PJ Fleck); says Fleck took over a program in "disarray"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Trevor:

9. PJ Fleck​

When PJ Fleck rowed his boat from Kalamazoo to Minnesota he was taking over a program in disarray. He has won just under half his conference games but has gotten Minnesota close in his 5 seasons, including 2018 where he won Big Ten Coach of the Year and lost the tiebreaker for the Big Ten West.

Go Gophers!!

per Trevor:

9. PJ Fleck​

When PJ Fleck rowed his boat from Kalamazoo to Minnesota he was taking over a program in disarray. He has won just under half his conference games but has gotten Minnesota close in his 5 seasons, including 2018 where he won Big Ten Coach of the Year and lost the tiebreaker for the Big Ten West.

Go Gophers!!
Oh, boy...here we go.

I wonder what people think about Mason and Kill?
The program being in “disarray” had nothing to do with either one of those two

It had to do with the program being subject of outside the lines episodes with protesters outside of practices in the months leading up to the fleck hire

Whether you like Claeys or not, it is hard to deny the program was in an awkward spot

yes, there was an off-the-field incident. In the end, a number of those players were exonerated.

And, the team won 9 games including upsetting a higher-ranked team in a Bowl Game.

Fleck did not walk into a perfect situation. But Kill and Claeys had brought the level of football up from the Brewster era and restored academic standards. They put things in motion that Fleck benefitted from.

Dan Monson walked into a much more difficult situation when he took over Gopher hoops after Clem.

I'd say PJ is more than a couple spots too low.
Schianno, made Rutgers far more competitive than they were on arrival with the same players.

Different programs have clear built in advantages. The head coach is not the biggest factor in the success in some of the programs with traditional advantages.. PJ just beat Wisconsin...Chryst seems to be going backwards compared to where the program was. Franklin ain't all that.
The losses to Bielema and Bowling Green don't help PJ's cause but I'd choose PJ over Franklin and Chryst. I'd put Tucker below PJ just because he's new
1. Day
2. Harbaugh
3. Ferentz
4. Fitzgerald
5 Bielema...pretty impressive at Wisconsin
6 PJ

So, if Fitzgerald coached Ohio State would they better? If PJ coached Ohio State or Michigan would they be better? Maybe... Yet, somehow if PJ coached Iowa or Northwestern...I don't think they'd be better.
So many criteria, biases, factors, including tradition, geography and money that it is tough to rank.
I'm sure lots of different lists if we all made one.

I look forward to hearing about the juggernaut PJ took over ... that needed to beg a walk on to come back to play QB.
Ya, ya, ya...they had QBs available to them...just not ones that fit their system. Tracy wanted running QB's...Green proved he could do that. The JC guy they sent home was a running QB.

The cupboard wasn't bare. The majority of the linemen hurt when PJ took over became healthy and were the foundation for PJ's offense. Winfield and Tyler and Cashman and Coughlin and Barber and Martin and on and on were a pretty nice nucleus to inherit.

Ya, ya, ya...they had QBs available to them...just not ones that fit their system. Tracy wanted running QB's...Green proved he could do that. The JC guy they sent home was a running QB.

The cupboard wasn't bare. The majority of the linemen hurt when PJ took over became healthy and were the foundation for PJ's offense. Winfield and Tyler and Cashman and Coughlin and Barber and Martin and on and on were a pretty nice nucleus to inherit.
Are you say PJ should have played Green as a QB?

Are you say PJ should have played Green as a QB?
No, I am not. I am not buying the contention the program was without talent upon PJs arrival.
PJ wanted a passing QB. Tracy emphasized QBs that were runners.
That’s not something you blame someone else for. It’s a choice.

Oh boy, Ol Jerry's blood pressure went up a few points! Rebecca is in counseling mode once again.

This guy's rankings seem to completely ignore the program's that they lead (and what they took over). Fleck going 20-6 (13-5) in the Big 10 during the last two full seasons doesn't equate to the 9th best coach in the Big 10.

Also aliens don't exist, brunettes over blondes, and you should never put ketchup on scrambled eggs (salsa is ok).

yes, there was an off-the-field incident. In the end, a number of those players were exonerated.

And, the team won 9 games including upsetting a higher-ranked team in a Bowl Game.

Fleck did not walk into a perfect situation. But Kill and Claeys had brought the level of football up from the Brewster era and restored academic standards. They put things in motion that Fleck benefitted from.

Dan Monson walked into a much more difficult situation when he took over Gopher hoops after Clem.
Congrats on winning an argument absolutely nobody was making

Congrats on winning an argument absolutely nobody was making

I was responding to the use of the word "disarray."

If Fleck had taken over directly from Brewster, the use of the word "disarray" would have been more apt.

Hey, if you visited my house, you might say it was 'messy,' but I do not think you would say it is in "disarray." and dammit, it's my house. If there's a pair of sweat pants on the living room floor, it's because I want them there........

If Fleck had taken over directly from Brewster, the use of the word "disarray" would have been more apt.

Hey, if you visited my house, you might say it was 'messy,' but I do not think you would say it is in "disarray." and dammit, it's my house. If there's a pair of sweat pants on the living room floor, it's because I want them there........
If you take over a program in the midst of a national scandal, it’s in disarray regardless of how many pants are on the ground.

Also, the definition of the word disarray is untidiness…..so….

I think you shouldn’t fight with the words so much

I think Brew had started the academic rebound, he suffered penalties from Mason if I recall.

beating-a-dead-horse-animated-gif-8.gif

tbh bielema should be way further up on this list based on the algorithm.

Wacker- 1993 - MN Margin Vs WI: 7
Wacker- 1994 - MN Margin Vs WI: 3

Wacker- 1995 - MN Margin Vs WI: -7
Wacker- 1996 - MN Margin Vs WI: -17
Mason- 1997 - MN Margin Vs WI: -1
Mason- 1998 - MN Margin Vs WI: -19
Mason- 1999 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Mason- 2000 - MN Margin Vs WI: -21
Mason- 2001 - MN Margin Vs WI: 11
Mason- 2002 - MN Margin Vs WI: -18
Mason- 2003 - MN Margin Vs WI: 3
Mason- 2004 - MN Margin Vs WI: -24
Mason- 2005 - MN Margin Vs WI: -4
Mason- 2006 - MN Margin Vs WI: -36
Brewster- 2007 - MN Margin Vs WI: -7
Brewster- 2008 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Brewster- 2009 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Brewster- 2010 - MN Margin Vs WI: -18
Kill- 2011 - MN Margin Vs WI: -29
Kill- 2012 - MN Margin Vs WI: -25
Kill- 2013 - MN Margin Vs WI: -13
Kill- 2014 - MN Margin Vs WI: -10
Kill- 2015 - MN Margin Vs WI: -10
Claeys- 2016 - MN Margin Vs WI: -14
Fleck- 2017 - MN Margin Vs WI: -31

Fleck- 2018 - MN Margin Vs WI: 22
Fleck- 2019 - MN Margin Vs WI: -21
Fleck- 2020 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Fleck- 2021 - MN Margin Vs WI: 10

This is the best illustration for outlining if our program is in disarray or not.

Bielema hasn't been at WI for 10 years. What he did there is mostly irrelevant IMO. There's no way he should be ranked ahead of Fleck.

Bielema hasn't been at WI for 10 years. What he did there is mostly irrelevant IMO. There's no way he should be ranked ahead of Fleck.
Well he beat fleck with a crappy roster last year

He will have to replace a lot this year. But if Illinois wins 7 regular season games he might be coach of the year

Wacker- 1993 - MN Margin Vs WI: 7
Wacker- 1994 - MN Margin Vs WI: 3

Wacker- 1995 - MN Margin Vs WI: -7
Wacker- 1996 - MN Margin Vs WI: -17
Mason- 1997 - MN Margin Vs WI: -1
Mason- 1998 - MN Margin Vs WI: -19
Mason- 1999 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Mason- 2000 - MN Margin Vs WI: -21
Mason- 2001 - MN Margin Vs WI: 11
Mason- 2002 - MN Margin Vs WI: -18
Mason- 2003 - MN Margin Vs WI: 3
Mason- 2004 - MN Margin Vs WI: -24
Mason- 2005 - MN Margin Vs WI: -4
Mason- 2006 - MN Margin Vs WI: -36
Brewster- 2007 - MN Margin Vs WI: -7
Brewster- 2008 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Brewster- 2009 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Brewster- 2010 - MN Margin Vs WI: -18
Kill- 2011 - MN Margin Vs WI: -29
Kill- 2012 - MN Margin Vs WI: -25
Kill- 2013 - MN Margin Vs WI: -13
Kill- 2014 - MN Margin Vs WI: -10
Kill- 2015 - MN Margin Vs WI: -10
Claeys- 2016 - MN Margin Vs WI: -14
Fleck- 2017 - MN Margin Vs WI: -31

Fleck- 2018 - MN Margin Vs WI: 22
Fleck- 2019 - MN Margin Vs WI: -21
Fleck- 2020 - MN Margin Vs WI: -3
Fleck- 2021 - MN Margin Vs WI: 10

This is the best illustration for outlining if our program is in disarray or not.

Or is it the performance against Iowa?? Haven't seen Floyd here since 2013.

Top Bottom