Rank Your 5 Favorite Gophers of Your Lifetime

1. Bud Grant - never saw him play, but he's earned a spot on the list (note: might be a technicality here as the thread headline notes ". . . of your lifetime". he's alive and i'm alive. i hope that counts.
2. Kevin Mchale - mostly watched him as a Celtic (anybody who can play with bird, parrish, carr etc. well hey you got put him on your list)
3. Mychal Thompson -the best
4. Kevin Lynch - that was a heck of a shot. i'd forgotten about that. thanks winnipeg
5. Willie Burton - maybe the most purely constructed player of the gophers ever. i really liked watching him - those were fun years. weird he flopped as a pro

GoldyLove...I have already contacted Gopherhole to monitor Jshow, and reiterated what you said about a ban.

1. Willie Burton - First Gopher I remember watching and started my love for Gopher sports.
2. Bobby Jackson - Best player in years I've watched.
3. Quincy Lewis - Liked him off the court, represented U well.
4. Richard Coffee- Lunch box guy.
5. Miles Tarver- Great Rebounder.

Trent Tucker
Daryl Mitchell
Mark Hall
Marc Wilson
Bobby Jackson
Have to add one big guy that has to be there - Mychal Thompson
Honorable Mention: Osborne Lockhart and Ray Williams

Top 5

My top 5 would be:

1) Trent Tucker
2) Bobby Jackson
3) Randy Breuer
4) Dusty Rychart
5) Willie Burton

Tough to make a list of 5 as I loved Chad Kolander and Sam Jacobsen as well

Top 5

Great idea, but difficult. Can't resist adding mine late....

1. Willie Burton (didn't he have some mental health issues in the NBA? I do not say that facetiously); I think he once scored 60+ for the Heat totally out of the blue.
2. Bobby Jackson (love those socks)
3. Richard Coffey (He was a MAN on the boards!)
4. Voshon
5. Vincent Grier (games with the hair were electric)

Honorable mention: Stompie (J'son Stamper aka MAN Jr.), Rob Metcalf (just for dunking on a high school friend of mine (when Metcalf was a benchwarmer) one day at the dorm when a spectator said to my friend, "he hasn't even scored on you yet!")... And now it's getting time to tune in to the game...

Great idea, but difficult. Can't resist adding mine late....

1. Willie Burton (didn't he have some mental health issues in the NBA? I do not say that facetiously); I think he once scored 60+ for the Heat totally out of the blue.
2. Bobby Jackson (love those socks)
3. Richard Coffey (He was a MAN on the boards!)
4. Voshon
5. Vincent Grier (games with the hair were electric)

Honorable mention: Stompie (J'son Stamper aka MAN Jr.), Rob Metcalf (just for dunking on a high school friend of mine (when Metcalf was a benchwarmer) one day at the dorm when a spectator said to my friend, "he hasn't even scored on you yet!")... And now it's getting time to tune in to the game...

Burton had 50 or 52 while playing for the 76ers late in his career. It was out of the blue.

It's interesting how we can determine the age of posters by the lists they post.

Trent Tucker
Mychal Thompson
Daryl Mitchell
Kevin McHale
Cookie Holmes

My Favs

Townsend Orr
Voshon Leonard
Bobby Jackson
John Thomas
Hosea Crittenden

Honorable Mention: Sam Jacobson, Quincy Lewis, Kevin Clark, Jayson Walton, Dusty

Damien Johnson is creeping up my list.

In order

1. Vincent Grier- It was amazing what he could do with almost no right hand and no outside shot.
2. Damian Johnson- Great basketball IQ, great defender, great leader, all you can ask for.
3. Bobby Jackson- How can the guy who led us to the Final Four not be on the list?
4. John Thomas- Loved the tenacious way he played the game.
5. Hoff- Will be there forever for the GW against Indiana.

Favorites:
1. Willie Burton - positively a total stud
2. Voshon Lenard - the one piece of the fab five that got away from big blue
3. Bobby Jackson - loved the socks
4. Melvin Newburn - super smooth and I love his name
t5. Sam Jacobson - a la Vitale - Jewish Jordan
t5. Kevin Lynch - I'll never forget him missing that 3pt from the baseline against GT, still love him though

Least Favorites:
1. Kris Humphries - great talent, cancerous behavior
2. Joel Pryzbilla - can't stand him
3. Russ Archambault - this loser made us lose out on Khalid El-Amin
4. Miles Tarver - seemed like a nice guy, but I cringed whenever Clem put him in
5. Michael Bauer - never lived up to my expectations
It's hard to pick a least favorite team without beginning with Mitch Lee. It's also easy to see how subjective these lists are because you've got, with several others, one of my least favorites (Voshon) on you're favorite team and a guy I really liked (not enough to make top top five though) in Miles.

My top five:
Bobby Jackson ... Made so many clutch plays.
Lou Hudson ... Sweet.
Jim Brewer ... Big Ten MVP while being only 3rd team all-conference?
Richard Coffey ... I like those bangers.
Vince Grier ... No right hand & no outside shot.

An honorary "No no no ... YESSSS!!" award to Ollie Shannon.

favorites

Bobby Jackson-My all-time favorite. Teaming with Eric Harris they were the greatest defensive backcourt I've ever seen--they just destroyed other team's offenses. Jackson was just so gutsy, at the end of games, no matter how he was playing, he always seemed to make the big shots, steals and free throws.

Burton-Great versatility and seemed to play at his best in the biggest games.

Coffey-Defined hard-nosed play and played within himself. He could have made any team he played on better with his toughness and intelligence.

Rychart-The most unlikely star player I've ever seen, he completely optimized his talent.

John Thomas-Of my favorite players, he drove me nuts the most often with missed layups and untimely turnovers. I loved his physical play. Does anyone else remember how he would completely take Brad Miller out of his game? I hated Miller. He was supposed to be a tough guy, but he wanted nothing to do with Thomas and James,

Honorable mention-Quincy Lewis, Walter Bond, Melvin Newbern, Eric Harris.

iron 5

Since this is favorites its hard not to pick someone from the Iron 5....otherwise, I'll go with

George Sauer
Corky Taylor
Kevin McHale
Willie Burton
Vince Grier

tops and bottoms

Favorites - Pete Gilcud, Ollie Shannon, Ray Williams, Ariel McDonald, Eric Harris

Least - Humphries, Archambeault, Hargrow

Top Five

This is an easy one:

Mychal Thompson
Ray Williams
Kevin McHale
Trent Tucker
Bobby Jackson

WAG,

Go ahead. I'll listen.

Surely you aren't denying that there are clear clues to the relative age of the fan contained in many of these lists.

My Gopher memories go back to the late '80s. Growing up in SW Minnesota, we were more likely to get Iowa Hawkeye games on TV, so the Gopher exposure was little until our family finally got cable TV.

Willie Burton
Bobby Jackson
Dusty Rychart
Travarus Bennett
Jerry Holman

Apologies to Vincent Grier and Richard Coffey. Tough call to leave them off the list. If Damian Johnson continues to do his thing, he will probably find his way into my top 5.

Jerry Holman is the most frustrating player on my list. But he was a lot of fun to watch when he was doing well. Tremendous athlete for his size. I just wish we could have had him for four years instead of two.

Travarus was great to watch. Always a pest on defense and could knock down some three's when needed. Basically Damian Johnson with a better shot, although Damian seems to be improving a lot in that respect.

The other three need no justification!

Surely you aren't denying that there are clear clues to the relative age of the fan contained in many of these lists.

Of course there are. That seems obvious. Therefore, I don't really find anything interesting about it. That's all.

My inclusion of Bud Grant in no way suggests my age! The other names do though.

Bobby Jackson was a cheat. You can't be a man and a cheat in life.

My top 5....my first year I started following the team was as a teenager listening to Ray Christensen's broadcasts of that very good 24-3 team we had.

1. Kevin McHale - had a great Gopher and NBA career - great Minnesota kid that was fun to cheer for when he was here.

2. Trent Tucker - he made some unbelievable long bombs and every one of them only counted as only two points until he went to the NBA.

3. Sam Jacobson - I live in Cottage Grove so it was fun to see the local kid make good. He was a local legend even in high school.

4. Mychal Thompson - he was the superstar on that great 24-3 team, averaged over 20 points a game and was the first player taken in the draft when he went into the NBA. I do not know if any other Gopher can claim that....he was sensational.

5. "Mad Dog" Voshon Lenard -- I just liked his overall game - he had a lot of big games and had a great Gopher career.

1.) Travis Busch
2.) Ryan Saunders
3.) Dan Coleman
4.) Devoe Joseph
5.) Coach Steve Goodman

Five pretty fine Gophers ;)

bobby, willie, dusty, m. bauer, e. harris

I like this team, not seeing a future fave on it though.

Thompson
Breuer
Jackson
Lenard
McHale
Tucker
Burton
Jacobson
Rychart
I didn't see "Sweet Lou" play who I believe to be our best all time Gopher.
Least favorite: Archambault, Humphries, Ohnstad, Schilling, Hargrow, B.Smith

Favorite Players:
Jim Brewer (what a stud)
Willie Burton (lead the revival after Madison)
Bobby Jackson (clutch & driven with a passion)
Mychal Thompson (smooth as silk)
Randy Breuer (under appreciated)
Trent Tucker (if only there was a three point line)
Ray Williams (the ultimate point guard)
Richard Coffey (rebounding machine for an undersized PF)
Kevin McHale (even better pro)

** Lou Hudson was before my time - at least seeing him play.

Most hated:
Mitch Lee (Madison)
Russ Archambault (no El-Amin & broke Gangelhoff)
Pryz (quit on his teammates)
Humphries (it's all about me)

Top Bottom