Rank Your 5 Favorite Gophers of Your Lifetime

In no particular order:

Willie Burton - he was so fun to watch. You just knew he could take over a game & win it for you. Plus, he went through the lean years with Clem was our new coach, and that is when I really became hooked on Gopher Bball. I still remember watching one of those 'lean' teams gut out a game against heavily favored Indiana or Michigan only to lose by two points. I wrote a sincere, heartfelt letter to Clem and was estatic when I received a response from him (didn't realize at the time it was a form letter). :p

Arriel McDonald - Was fun watching the kid from North Carolina (?) grow under Clem the Gem's tutelage. He became a solid point guard and had a very nice stroke. Unfortunate moment - his last game against Louisville in the NCAA where he inexplicably missed two freethrows in teh last minute. That was tough to watch. Felt bad for him.

Richard Coffey - the 'paratrouper'. He could rebound with the best of 'em, but couldn't make a bunnie; at least not in his first year. I also remember the class of 1989 coming back from the lockerroom and onto the court after their final home game to shake hands and give high fives to the fans that stuck around. We lost a tough game to Michigan State (Steve Smith killed us), but the players still came out to mingle. I particularly remember a gentleman choking up as he told Coffey how proud he would be if his son turned out to be like him. Richard put his arm around him, thanked him, and reassured him that his son would certainly grow up to be a good man.

Sam Jacobson - to me he seemed to be one fo the first legitimate blue chippers to stay home to play for the Gophers. Sure, Kevin Lynch was highly recruited, but I felt Jacobson was in a different league. It was a pleasure to watch him slash & shoot for four years! The unreal thing is how far MN basketball has come from just 15-20 yrs ago. There used to be only a few D1 prospects each year; compare that to now!

Dusty Rychart - from little known walkon to a 1000+ point scorer!? How unreal was that!? I still remember his breakout game against Gonzaga in the NCAA's (24 pts, 17 boards). What a wonderful kid and testiment to how to play the game. Nothing fancy; fundamentally sound. Well, except his goofy screwball freethrow. :p That thing never had the proper backspin on it. lol I loved watching that kid play, though. Made it even better to hear his personal story of his relationship with his brother.

Just missed:

Voshon Lenard - terrific talent, but I thought he made a mistake by testing the NBA draft waters early, then coming back to the team. It seemed like the team chemistry took a hit. On the other hand, Vosh totally won the 3OT game vs. Iowa in 1993!
Jayson Walton - One of Clem's first Top 50 prospects! Injuries hampered him.
Dana Jackson - played some pickup ball while I worked a Haskins Camp and Dana was on my team. I was pretty much over my head in the game and bumped my guy a couple times as a guarded him. Eventually, the guy is all talking smack & banging & pushing me around & being an ass. Later he has a breakaway and is going up to dunk when Dana comes out of nowhere and snuffs the ball off the bankboard to block his shot. :) It was sweet. :)
Mario Green - was also on my team in the aforementioned pickup game & was cool.
Ernest Nzigamazombao! - The name says it all.

I am kinda amazed only one person mentioned Ray Williams, but man, Williams, Sunders, Osborne Lockhart, Kevin McHale, Mychal Thompson and Jim Peterson was a pretty amazing team. There was another big guy in there pre Randy Bruer, maybe Jim Brewer.
Another prior to that was before I really got interested in them.

I am kinda amazed only one person mentioned Ray Williams...

Actually Ray Williams got 6 mentions on this thread. But your point is well taken. That was a great team.

It was really Steve Lingenfelter, not Jim Peterson. Four of those guys went on to have good to great NBA careers: Williams with the Knicks, Celtics, Hawks, Spurs ands Nets, Lingenfelter with the Bullets and the Spurs, Thompson with the Blazers, Spurs and Lakers and McHale with of course the Celtics

Lingenfelter was a higher rated prospect than McHale coming out of high school. That changed in college. Another big man on that 24-3 team was Dave Winey, he played in the CBA and Europe for a few years. Ran into him and Chris Engler at a surprise birthday party a couple of years ago. Had a great time talking over old times.

The entire Iron Five

Bob Nix
Keith Young
Clyde Turner
Dave Winfield
Jim Brewer

Lingenfelter was a higher rated prospect than McHale coming out of high school. That changed in college. Another big man on that 24-3 team was Dave Winey, he played in the CBA and Europe for a few years. Ran into him and Chris Engler at a surprise birthday party a couple of years ago. Had a great time talking over old times.

IIRC Lingenfelter outplayed McHale in the HS BBall Tournament but that McHale at 3 or 4 inches taller than Lingenfelter was a higher rated recruit.

My Starting 5
5-Miles Tarver
4-Richard Coffey
3-Willie Burton
2-Bobby Jackson
1-Melvin Newbern

Just Missed
Quincy Lewis, Dusty Rychart, Courtney James

Least Favorite Team
5-Spencer Tollackson
4-Humphries
3-Dan Coleman
2-Voshon Lenard- After Sophomore Year
1-Mckenzie

Close
Hargrow, Shilling, Archambeau,

Actually Ray Williams got 6 mentions on this thread. But your point is well taken. That was a great team.

It was really Steve Lingenfelter, not Jim Peterson. Four of those guys went on to have good to great NBA careers: Williams with the Knicks, Celtics, Hawks, Spurs ands Nets, Lingenfelter with the Bullets and the Spurs, Thompson with the Blazers, Spurs and Lakers and McHale with of course the Celtics

Your right on Lingenfelter, thanks. Peterson came a year or two later.

Top Bottom