Rank the upsets in order of how likely (big ten west edition)

Some guy

Reaction score
1) Purdue over Michigan state
2) Rutgers over wisconsin
3) Northwestern over Iowa
4) Illinois over Minnesota
5) Nebraska over Ohio state

1 - Purdue over MSU - Potential letdown game for MSU after big Michigan win.

Grand Canyon

2 - Illinois over Minnesota - Trap Game with rival looming
3 - Northwestern over Iowa - Trap Game with rival looming

4 - Rutgers over Wisconsin - just don't see how Rutgers scores on Wisconsin enough to be a threat. Mertz would have to go back to Turnover ways to give them a chance.

5 - Nebraska over Ohio State - Hoping Nebraska gets through this one and their next bye and shows up bigtime against Wisconsin and Iowa in final 2 weeks. But Ohio State is going to beat them handily.

1 (most likely): NU
2: Purdue
3: Northwestern
4: Nebraska
5 (not gonna happen): Illinois

Illinois
Purdue -- Michigan threw all over State so I think Purdue could too
Northwestern -- Offense matches up poorly with Iowa
Rutgers -- Wisconsin's defense . . .nuff said
Nebraska -- Scott Frost's presence makes this the least likely

1) Purdue over Michigan St. Classic let down week for MSU, but they are too good of a running team for them to hiccup here. Purdue's run defense is better than a usual Purdue defense. MSU wins, but it's a close game to the end.

2) Rutgers over WI. Rutgers is plucky. They have some defense and can score. Schiano will do whatever he has to in order for his team to have a chance. A couple bad Mertz throws would be the reason why this upset happens, and that's more likely than the other things that would need to happen for other upsets to take place.

3) I'd have Illinois over Minnesota higher if the Gophers weren't already bitten by an upset earlier in the year. Illinois isn't good enough to stop the run, and the defense still appears to be sound. Hard for an upset to happen here.

4) Nebraska over OSU. This game could be close, but the idea that Nebraska is suddenly going to play well enough against OSU to outscore them... just isn't going to happen. OSU suffers some against good running teams, Michigan St will have a chance to upset OSU, as will Michigan, but this won't be a close game for Nebraska.

5) Northwestern over Iowa. This would make me too happy. But NW'ern is really the worst team in the Big Ten right now. They won't be able to score against Iowa.

Can I pick Purdue over Ohio State?

The upset I am looking for is Nebraska over Iowa on Black Friday (in what could be Scott Frost's last game).
Although I'm not sure that will qualify as an "upset" when the time comes.
The only downside is that Nebraska might have a little bit of a letdown after beating the Badgers the previous week.

(1) Purdue vs. MSU
First, Purdue is the best team of all of the underdogs. Michigan State is coming off a bit off a huge game. Purdue is decent against the run and they can pass the ball. Michigan State is the better team but Purdue is an awkward matchup for them.

(2) Illinois vs. MN
Illinois is an awkward team to play. They are decent on defense and they run the ball. The game will go by really quick and if we're sloppy, it could be a bit of a trap game. I think it's pretty unlikely, but if Illinois can run the ball a little and stop the run a little. . .maybe?

(3) NW vs. Iowa
This is pretty unlikely but Iowa has a really bad offense too. I think Iowa will be able to run the ball and I can't really envision how NW scores much.

(4) Nebraska vs. Ohio State
It's not happening but Nebraska has good DBs. If Martinez can play a clean game, they aren't an awful team. Unfortunately for them, it kind of feels like they quit including the coaches.

(5) Rutgers vs. WI
Rutgers is going to get demolished by WI. They are plucky but they won't be able to run the ball at all and they'll have a hard time breaking 150 yards. WI wins BIG (30+).

1) Northwestern over Iowa

There's some kind of rivalry going on there that we don't know about or don't understand. Also, I think it's on the Northwestern side mostly. I don't think most Iowa fans understand it either.

Last edited:

1) Northwestern over Iowa

There's some kind of rivalry going on there that we don't know about or don't understand. Also, I think it's on the Northwestern side mostly. I don't think most Iowa fans understand it either.

I was lurking on an Iowa football blog discussing the upcoming game against Northwestern. An Iowa fan posted a story from when he was a high school football coach in Texas, and Northwestern was playing in a bowl game down there.

The guy went to watch a Northwesterm practice, just to see what he could learn, and he wore one of his Iowa sweatshirts because he thought he was repping for the Big Ten.

An assistant coach came over and asked him why he was disrespecting Fitzgerald. The asst. coach explained that Fitz hated Iowa because he believed some Hawkeye cheap shots that year had cost Northwestern a trip to the Rose Bowl.

A few minutes later, Fitzgerald himself came over and told him that he'd have to put on a Northwestern jacket if he wanted to stay. Fitz had a manager come over with a jacket, which the guy put on.

I couldn't find the post, but this guy said Fitz was not joking, he hates the Hawkeyes, and he loves to beat them.

I was lurking on an Iowa football blog discussing the upcoming game against Northwestern. An Iowa fan posted a story from when he was a high school football coach in Texas, and Northwestern was playing in a bowl game down there.

The guy went to watch a Northwesterm practice, just to see what he could learn, and he wore one of his Iowa sweatshirts because he thought he was repping for the Big Ten.

An assistant coach came over and asked him why he was disrespecting Fitzgerald. The asst. coach explained that Fitz hated Iowa because he believed some Hawkeye cheap shots that year had cost Northwestern a trip to the Rose Bowl.

A few minutes later, Fitzgerald himself came over and told him that he'd have to put on a Northwestern jacket if he wanted to stay. Fitz had a manager come over with a jacket, which the guy put on.
Interesting. Fitz just became my 2nd favorite Big Ten coach.

Last edited:

Rutgers is due

Without looking, does anyone here know who the defensive coordinator for Rutgers is?

I didn't know, but for some reason I can't recall I looked it up. I was shocked.

Last edited:

Wisconsin sucks. As does Iowa.

Minnesota might too.

Everyone is on upset alert. Except Ohio state. Because Nebraska is the worst

1) Purdue over Michigan state #1
2) Rutgers over wisconsin #5
3) Northwestern over Iowa #2
4) Illinois over Minnesota #3
5) Nebraska over Ohio state #4

Purdue doesn't totally suck.
I hope this is the jinx that says shitsconsin is rounding into shape and Buttgers is reverting back to their norm. Like saying Gary Anderson hasn't missed a field goal all y.......... Oops!
NW over Iowa not much different than Illannoys over The O.G.
Nebraska Technological Polytechnic Institute might show up and shock the world if they drug Ohio State with tainted lobster and caviar the night before.

Top Bottom