Randy Shaver 93X

goldfan24

Reaction score
Randy said Weber is a better running QB than Gray and Gray needs to switch positions and play TE. Shaver said Gray can't pass the ball on target enough to start for Minnesota next season.

I have never seen a QB miss as many easy passes as Weber did the past 12 games so Gray must really be bad if Shaver is correct. I thought Gray was accurate this past spring including in the spring game and then really never had the opportunity to throw during the season. I was at all 7 home games and watched all the away games and still have them on DVR. Maybe Gray isn't ready to start yet but I can't believe Weber is a better running QB than Gray. Weber is a better runner than a passer and always has been but I highly doubt he is a better runner than Gray. Shaver also said Gray is too slow to play QB. Did I watch the entire season with my eyes closed or is Shaver correct???

Randy said Weber is a better running QB than Gray and Gray needs to switch positions and play TE. Shaver said Gray can't pass the ball on target enough to start for Minnesota next season.

I have never seen a QB miss as many easy passes as Weber did the past 12 games so Gray must really be bad if Shaver is correct. I thought Gray was accurate this past spring including in the spring game and then really never had the opportunity to throw during the season. I was at all 7 home games and watched all the away games and still have them on DVR. Maybe Gray isn't ready to start yet but I can't believe Weber is a better running QB than Gray. Weber is a better runner than a passer and always has been but I highly doubt he is a better runner than Gray. Shaver also said Gray is too slow to play QB. Did I watch the entire season with my eyes closed or is Shaver correct???

What a joke...did Shaver even watch a game this year....everytime Gray ran the ball he consistently picked up 5 to 7 yards....and this is when the defense knew he was going to run it because they never let him pass.....Weber looks like a hesitant bumbly idiot whenever he does decide to run with it....Shaver is from Iowa anyway so what does he know.....he wants the Gophers to tank anyway !!

I listened to that segment as well. Shaver has proven time and time again that he knows NOTHING about sports, he just gets paid to read a teleprompter on tv. "Gray isn't fast enough to be a QB" is right up with there with the all-time dumb comments.

The only "major" sports anchor in this town that knows anything about college football is Rosen. You'd think that someone who spends so much time working with local high school football programs would have a deeper knowledge of the college game, but Shaver doesn't put the work in or he just doesn't care about college football.

I like Shaver, but his view on sports is ridiculous. Case in point, last week they were talking about Lebron Jame's comments about playing in the NFL. Shaver said that Lebron, at 6' 9" 255, was too small to play tight end in the NFL.

As for his Gray comments, I think he takes this one game and makes a blanket statement about his play, not taking into account that when a player is running the ball, he is also relying on some blocking!

He should stick to reading the score at 10pm, and quit the sports analysis!

I listened to that segment as well. Shaver has proven time and time again that he knows NOTHING about sports, he just gets paid to read a teleprompter on tv. "Gray isn't fast enough to be a QB" is right up with there with the all-time dumb comments.

Had the exact same reaction.

There are a lot of problems, but Gray's speed at the QB position is NOT one of them. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard said regarding Gopher football.

Actually, I take it back. Right after Shaver said "Gray isn't fast enough to be a QB" he followed it up by saying that while watching the game on Saturday he's convinced that "I could run faster than Gray on those running plays".

Weber ran in 4.82 40 in high school, Gray ran a 4.48. I know that was from a few years ago, but it's not even close. Is Shaver just trying to get attention by saying stupid stuff like Skip Bayless does?

did any of you listen to sid yesterday?

He was complimenting brewster and saying he has done a good job. Sid was also saying that by only losing by 12, brewster did well. It was a literal lovefest.

Later on in the show, out of nowhere, he says gray doesnt know the plays and cant remember them.

I will take that as 100% true. For Sid to say that about a gopher usually takes a gun to his head.

I'd be willing to bet a small wager that Gray is faster the both Favre and Manning.

did any of you listen to sid yesterday?

He was complimenting brewster and saying he has done a good job. Sid was also saying that by only losing by 12, brewster did well. It was a literal lovefest.

Later on in the show, out of nowhere, he says gray doesnt know the plays and cant remember them.

I will take that as 100% true. For Sid to say that about a gopher usually takes a gun to his head.

The same Sid that can hardly remember his own name, let alone anyone else's?

The obvious problem here is that you were listening to 93X.

Gray doesn't seem to have much burst which is great for hitting a hole or creating distance as a reciever but he seems plenty fast. On top of it he's got that deceptive speed since he's so big. I think he's plenty fast enough. We've seen him all year look like a man among boys. Hopefully, he finds the field in some way next year.

Shaver said that Lebron, at 6' 9" 255, was too small to play tight end in the NFL.

The funny thing is that even casual NBA fans know that LeBron played most of last season at 270+, which is bigger than most TE already in the NFL. And if he ever decided he really did want to pursue the NFL seriously, he could get up to 285-290 quite easily, especially at 6'9".

It's asinine to say that Gray isn't faster than Weber.

And it's even more asinine to suggest that Gray isn't "fast enough" to play QB, as if that's one of the more important characteristics, especially in a pro style offense.

Shaver! One of the first to pile on this team, at the time for very little reason and with a decided lack of rational thought. Narrating high school highlights is his forte. Gray's speed is deceptive. You have to pay attention to how much ground he's covering because his motion doesn't show it. Shaver is probably looking for elbows and knees pumping to beat heck and mistakes that for speed.

Sounds like Shaver said some dumb things but I prefer him over any other TV sports anchor in this market. The rest are blind homers. At least Shaver isn't a "Yes Man" to every team/coach in this town.

Rosen - Terrible
Mike Max - Terrible
Perk at Play - Don't know how he has a job
Dave Schwartz - who?
Jim Rich - probably the worst of them all
Gal from Fox 9 - take that back, she's the worst of them all
Anne Hutchinson - please....she's on TV for one reason and one reason only

I don't really watch the news much anymore so I'm probably missing others that are probably terrible.

Did Shaver really say Gray is not fast enough to play QB?

If that is true than that is one of the most asanine statements ever uttered about Gopher football on or by the Twin City media. Gray is not fast? Please, he is actually really quick.

I don't understand all of the people getting down on Gray as a QB. The kid really is not much more than a Freshman playing the QB position right now. Does he make mistakes yes, does the fourth year junior who currently starts make mistakes yes? Can they both get better at QB yes.
Gray has the hight, the arm all of the measureables and the ability to play QB, I don't know why you would mess with him and move him to another position? He is an explosive athlete and would help the team at other spot's, but that is being shortsighted for the future. IF you have the paitence, find an actual QB coach that could teach him the QB spot for a pro set offense you might have the potential to have an elite level QB in a year or two. Moving him out of the QB spot might actually hurt the team in the long run more than help. Gray bashing is due to Weber getting heat.
Weber's issue's are related to his footwork, getting hit a lot(leads to no confidence and holding on to the ball to long) not having a front 5 that work's well right now(this can be fixed) with little to no running game(this can be fixed) and WR with bad breaks or running wrong routes. The lack of success on offense has lead to everyone trying to do little to much and going outside of the plan, or being out of position throwing everything out of wack. Blocking down, running the same routes, they can fix all of this. Having the time off to heal for everyone will help a lot.

Top Bottom