Random thoughts

Rog

Reaction score
After digesting last years games and watching many over and over on my TIVO, these thoughts come to mind which are obvious to many.

1. Our Offense was for the most part in complete confusion (most of the time). I beleive that our talent was above what we saw. For the most part, in my mind, was coaching. Primarily directed at the Offensive C. It appeared to me that the various Offensive coaches did not have their players working together with the other coaches as a team. This is the OC job.

2. Along the same line. I don't think having Co-Coordinators is good. You might say they work good together, but in my mind it leaves to many areas for problems. It sure showed last year especially on the offensive.

Maybe I'm to much in the old school of managing a business but whoever had two bosses of equal position. Some of our players did.

3. part of the problem is that Brewster, as much as I love him, turned over to much responsibility to the OC and DC and especially the OC couldn't handle it.

Will this change for the good next Fall? If it doesn't, well, I will hate to read the Gopher Hole then.

Here's what I remember:

QB making bad inaccurate passes on 2nd or 3rd downs.
WR's dropping a lot of passes in crucial parts of the game; therefor stalling drives
OL inability to get a push for a decent ground game
RB unable to make something out of nothing
A few bad calls by Brewster regarding game management

"2. Along the same line. I don't think having Co-Coordinators is good. You might say they work good together, but in my mind it leaves to many areas for problems. It sure showed last year especially on the offensive.

They didn't have Co-Coordinators on Offense; it was on Defense.

More and more schools are going to Co-Coordinators not only to to reward guys but because of the success it's shown at USC.

Who really knows for sure if the two co-coordinators are on the same level as far as making decisions and all. Being named co-offensive coordinator could be just a title thing, helping that person's resume for his future in coaching.

Bottom line is that if the offense made the simple plays last year we have a lot more success. Our OL was poor and our RBs were mediocre but Fisch's play calling was pretty good at times. I do think the offense may have been too complex which led to players thinking too much but Weber threw a lot of balls in the dirt and our WRs dropped a lot of passes

Who really knows for sure if the two co-coordinators are on the same level as far as making decisions and all. Being named co-offensive coordinator could be just a title thing, helping that person's resume for his future in coaching.

It is just a title thing and getting that person some experience as well. The buck stops with Cosgrove and Horton

"2. Along the same line. I don't think having Co-Coordinators is good. You might say they work good together, but in my mind it leaves to many areas for problems. It sure showed last year especially on the offensive.

They didn't have Co-Coordinators on Offense; it was on Defense.

More and more schools are going to Co-Coordinators not only to to reward guys but because of the success it's shown at USC.

They did have "co-coordinators" on offense, depending on how you interpret Davis's title of "running game coordinator."

We have a history of coco nuts

Tony Peterson and Mich Browning. Fisch and Davis. If you don't think there was friction last year take another look. Fisch came in with that pro set fun and gun and Davis came from Alabama's run based offense. It was shortly after Davis got here we heard Coach Brewster say we were going to put a hand on the ground and "pound the rock". Everyone was amazed it never materialized. Coach Fisch was designing routes no one other than Decker could run. He got lost in redesigning Webers throwing motion. If you don't think there was some passive agressive response both by the offensive line and Coach Davis, I miss my guess. Fisch goes and viola Coach Horton appears, wants to simplify. Wants to run and pass off play action. That will only work if you can run the ball when ever you want to. Third and 4.

When you have coco nuts, there is the seems to the schemer and the hard nose. You saw with Peterson and Browning. Early season, and we run play action pitch back, for an 80 yard TD on the opening drive, against directional Lousiana. And when we have to have a third and three against Wisconsin, get the picture. The offensive coordinator builds a system either around the talent, or recruits the talent to the system. Great O coordinators, Great Coaches can do it either way.

The one thing that seems to becoming clear is the staff is becoming a reunion of Barry Alverez's early staffs. Where running the ball and playing stout defense was the system. Hopefully, the phrase "pound the rock" will have more meaning and actual effect.

The problem last year was very simple, we had no running game. And we were force to win the game on Adam Weber's arm. Adam is limited in what he can do. If we had a running game taking up 45 snaps and Adam threw off play action 8 times we would have been more effective.

Here's what I remember:

WR's dropping a lot of passes in crucial parts of the game; therefor stalling drives

^This. It sums up the entire season perfectly.

Here's what I remember:

Yes, I'm buying into this. IMO it's fair and accurate. Properly critical without being wild-eyed, over-the-top throw out the bums nonsense. Nice post that says a lot in probably fewer words than I'm using to say a little.

Top Bottom