Random thoughts from last night

Juicer

Reaction score
Some thoughts after watching the game last night. Not covering everybody, just those on my brain.

The good:

Hollins - very impressive. He just seems to know how to play. We are very lucky to have him with Devoe being out. His shot looks a little funny but it works, and I am not scared to have him out there with the ball in his hands.

Mbakwe - I'll take that kind of effort and impact. He played very hard and was getting loose balls that we couldn't get without him. Without Trevor, we would have lost this game.

Armelin - I found myself wishing he was playing more in the 2nd half. He looks like someone who is not afraid to put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop. I like this kid, albeit in limited minutes this year especially when Devoe comes back.

Williams - definitely the energy boost in the 2nd half. I think we're likely going to have to accept Rodney for who he is; an uber-athletic slasher with limited other offensive skills, at least for this year. I'll take the kind of effort he put forth tonight anytime.

The bad:

Sampson/Iverson - these 2 guys just looked like they were going through the motions. Ralph looked like the old Ralph, mechanical and programmed in his post moves. Just not fluid. Iverson looked like he didn't really care that there was a game going on.

Nolen - while he had a bunch of assists and steals, the ball was in his hands for too long, and when they trapped in the half court he didn't make good decisions with the ball. We need him to play better if we have a chance against UNC, WVU, etc.

Overall:

We did what we needed to do to win, but clearly the team was not ready to play when the ball went up. Defensively, the first 12 minutes were as bad as any defensive effort since Tubby got here. Blake was Blake, and that helped, but we need to find another perimeter scorer until Devoe comes back. I like Hollins for this role, but realistically as a freshman it is not likely we are going to get consistent production.

Ball movement was excellent for most of the second half and allowed us to take the lead. Yet the last 4 or 5 minutes Blake and Al stopped being agressive. How many times have we seen the PG hold onto the ball until 8-10 seconds to go and we end up not getting a good look. This offense needs to keep moving and taking care of the ball, work the clock and eventually someone will get an open look. Rather than 4 players stand around, the PG holds the ball and then a hope shot or turnover. I know if was run the clock down time but the mentioned approach doesn't seem to work well for this team.

Tubby should feel confident to play Hollins and Armelin.

Hoffarber still finished with 16 points and seven assists. Nolen was in foul trouble in the first half, but he had seven points, six assists and six steals.

Thought it was a pretty good win for an opener.

It would be nice if Ralph and Colt had a bit of swagger to them.

I was on the Chip Armelin bandwagon years ago. So it's nice to be validated. Lol.

random thoughts

Random thoughts from Willum Arena last night:

1. I love Willum Arena

2. I hate the white uniforms.

Tubby - I am having a difficult time understanding why Blake was gaurding Clarence Jackson for most of the night. Our slowest backcourt defender on their best player? Does anyone have an answer for this? Something more intelligent than "leave the coaching to Tubby"???

Midway through the second half we had a very athletic squad in that went on a run - Nolan, Chip, Rodney, Trevor, and Ralph. I hope Tubby liked what he saw here, I know I did.

Blake - His shot was colder than we're used to, but he still seemed to act as the glue.

Trevor - Outstanding. If he continues to be a consistant double-double guy, we'll make noise in the conference. Also, he didn't seem to get tired. I hope to see his minutes grow more an more.

Chip - Best move to the basket all night. Looking forward to more of this kid.

Hollins - Sure, he missed the obvious extra pass to Blake, and a few open entry passes to Ralph, but he has a scorer's mentality, and what's what we need. He made a lot of mental mistakes that will disolve with time.

Nolan - Go watch film of yourself 2 years ago against Louisville. I think you have more of those performances in you. Also, I'd like to see Al become a 36-38 minute per game PG.

Rodney - Made the game very entertaining. Keep working that jumpshot and first quick step.

Ralph - Not too bad, but need more. You should be getting easier buckets, up to you to get that position.

Devoe - Pull it together

Student Section - I can't remember laughing as hard at your antics as I did last night while you were mocking Siena's coach. I sit opposite baseline and from my angle, the palms up mocking looked hilarious. One day we'll get you guys on the sideline, one day.

My .02...

Tubby - I am having a difficult time understanding why Blake was gaurding Clarence Jackson for most of the night. Our slowest backcourt defender on their best player? Does anyone have an answer for this? Something more intelligent than "leave the coaching to Tubby"???

Midway through the second half we had a very athletic squad in that went on a run - Nolan, Chip, Rodney, Trevor, and Ralph. I hope Tubby liked what he saw here, I know I did.

Blake - His shot was colder than we're used to, but he still seemed to act as the glue.

Trevor - Outstanding. If he continues to be a consistant double-double guy, we'll make noise in the conference. Also, he didn't seem to get tired. I hope to see his minutes grow more an more.

Chip - Best move to the basket all night. Looking forward to more of this kid.

Hollins - Sure, he missed the obvious extra pass to Blake, and a few open entry passes to Ralph, but he has a scorer's mentality, and what's what we need. He made a lot of mental mistakes that will disolve with time.

Nolan - Go watch film of yourself 2 years ago against Louisville. I think you have more of those performances in you. Also, I'd like to see Al become a 36-38 minute per game PG.

Rodney - Made the game very entertaining. Keep working that jumpshot and first quick step.

Ralph - Not too bad, but need more. You should be getting easier buckets, up to you to get that position.

Devoe - Pull it together

Student Section - I can't remember laughing as hard at your antics as I did last night while you were mocking Siena's coach. I sit opposite baseline and from my angle, the palms up mocking looked hilarious. One day we'll get you guys on the sideline, one day.

My .02...

I was also puzzled by that. Blake's a gritty guy, and a smart defender, but he wasn't nearly quick enough to stick with Jackson. Otherwise, great points. On Devoe, it was good to see that he's remaining active and involved with the team. If he was gone, I'd worry he was sulking or something.

Just read your post on the thread you started. I think we saw the same game.

Blake should have been on the small forward wigget, hollins on jackson, and nolan on brookins. Blake had some nice steals though. It seems like unless we can get Colt touches on the block the rest of his game falls apart. And unfortunately the few touches he had he just couldnt finish.

Mbakwe is a beast from what I have seen in his first two regular season games. IMO He looks like he is catching up to game speed, but still slightly sluggish for lack of a better word.

I think Nolen looks damn good to start the year, but yes he did struggle with the full court pressure last night as well as moving the ball in the offense late in the game. Let's hope the guys move more because he also didn't look like he was getting a ton of help with screens and movement away from the ball.

Colt45 AND Ralphie looked weak like they did as freshman, not like they did down the stretch last year. Go up strong and throw it down! Ralphie seems to be finding a stroke this year, though.

Hollins looks like a stud to me!

Other freshman look ready to step in too. This team is deep right now and should only be better if/when Joseph returns.

Top Bottom