Random thoughts from driving half way across the US, tailgating, and attending the whiteout.

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
This is just random stuff in no particular order. I’d love to hear about the experiences from others that made the trip.

- I found the toll roads from IL to PA to be a pain. I am so glad we don’t have toll roads here. Literally off/on again construction for the entire length. And it seems the only point of these projects is to move a lot of barrels around to close lanes and lower speed limit with no other visible evidence of repair/improvement. We were so annoyed that we took a different route home with “normal” interstates and it was so relaxing by comparison.

- we brought ALL our tailgate stuff and set up in lot 14. There was a line two blocks long to get into the lot at 7:30 AM, for a lot that opened at 8:00 AM, and a game that didn’t start until 7:30 PM. And that was just our lot. There are mowed field lots everywhere. Truly impressive.

- if you haven’t tailgated at an away game yet, DO IT. So much fun. People are so engaging and nice. We were the only Gopher tailgate in our lot and we were like zoo animals. Lots of people stopping by to hear our story. Probably the “worst” thing was the guy who asked my wife “who shit on your shirt?” And even that was good natured and worth a laugh. We’ve tailgated Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska previously and all were fun and this one ranked right up there, perhaps at the top.

- this ran my away game in person record for Gopher football to 0-6.

- the culture, especially among students, about getting to the stadium AND STAYING THERE is at a completely different level. Everyone was in their seats an hour to 45 minutes before kickoff and more impressively, the students in particular were still there, preferring to watch football instead of hitting the parties/bars late into the fourth quarter of a blowout win at a night game.

- I’ll take the pride of Minnesota over the Blue Band any day. The Blue Band pregame is effective and fun. It is also much shorter and easier to pull off compared to what our band does pregame. It is a damn shame Minnesota crowds have such a late arrival tradition because they miss out on a pregame that puts PSU to shame. Perhaps it is due to the sheer size of the stadium but the blue band doesn’t play as much in-game, and when they do, their sound is often amplified through the stadium sound system.

- Attendance was over 109,700. Yet, we got into the stadium (at prime time, when everyone else was arriving too) MUCH faster than any home Gopher game this season. No metal detectors. Security in general much less visible.

- for a stadium that large, it is really tough to know what is going on. No continuous board listing team stats (like we have at the bank) and very little in terms of out of town scores. On top of that, only two small boards (very hard to read from nosebleed seats) showing the standard stuff like time, down, distance, and ball on (yard line). Ribbon boards mostly limited to ads and the two big video boards only rarely offer game info, which gets you in the habit of not looking there for much beyond which ever ex player happens to be yelling “we are” over the speakers and on camera during breaks.

- A lot of this is perhaps because of the white out but truly a tough place to play. The crowd knows what to do when the visitors are trying to hike the ball.

- most of our group was in the 22-25 age range and the bar scene was like Disneyland for them. Very fun college town with beautiful surrounding landscape. For older people like my wife and me, it was still fun to be out dining and drinking (just farther out than where all the kids were) Friday night.

I’d love to hear the opinions of others.

Last edited:

Hey! Thanks for sharing! I got two laugh out louds from this thread:
" this ran my away game in person record for Gopher football to 0-6."
"You need to STOP!"
Please, don't quit. You are due for a run of Gopher victories.

Hey! Thanks for sharing! I got two laugh out louds from this thread:
" this ran my away game in person record for Gopher football to 0-6."
"You need to STOP!"
Please, don't quit. You are due for a run of Gopher victories.
Maybe it's me that should quit. I'm 1-9.:(

- I’ll take the pride of Minnesota over the Blue Band any day. The Blue Band pregame is effective and fun. It is also much shorter and easier to pull off compared to what our band does pregame. It is a damn shame Minnesota crowds have such a late arrival tradition because they miss out on a pregame that puts PSU to shame. Perhaps it is due to the sheer size of the stadium but the blue band doesn’t play as much in-game, and when they do, their sound is often amplified through the stadium sound system
Agreed 100%. As a former member of the pride I may be bias, but I try to make a point of watching each school's band pregame. A big chunk of it was them playing an arrangement "The Hey Song" as some sort of cheer?

They had the old arrangement of the rouser too, that had a key change in it. It's odd they have it since Dr. Bencriscutto arranged the current arrangement of the rouser (sans key change) way back in the 60s, far before Penn State joined the B1G and started honoring the B1G tradition of playing the opposing team's school song against conference foes.

Schnauzer...I think you need to put going to away games on hold...

Is this a bad place to say that after Saturday's game my away record is now 0-7?
  1. 2008 at Wisconsin - Lost 35-32
  2. 2008 Insight Bowl vs. Kansas - Lost 42-21
  3. 2012 at Iowa - Lost 31-13
  4. 2015 Citrus Bowl vs. Missouri - Lost 33-17
  5. 2015 at #5 Iowa - Lost 40-35
  6. 2016 at #5 Wisconsin - Lost 31-17
  7. 2022 at #16 Penn State - Lost 45-17

A few thoughts I have...

- The tailgating scene was beyond impressive. Everywhere you looked people were hanging out and having fun.

- Everyone was over the top nice to my family and most even asking if we had a good experience. An example, we camped at The Grange and the campsite next to us was an older couple. I had a little small talk with them and went on with my day. About 15 minutes later the wife came up to me and asked if we need anything and she would be happy to run to Dollar General or the local convenience store for us. I was gracious but said no. About 20 minutes later, the husband (not knowing the wife already asked us) came up to me and said if we need anything I should feel free to take his truck to the store.

- With how nice everyone was, somehow I was in the Gopher section (row 89) and the row right in front of us was about 6 low-to-mid 20s PSU fans who were annoying, loud, rude, swearing, etc.

- I found the Indiana/Ohio tollway amazing with the lack of entrances/exiting/merging. Made for a slick road trip.

- My wife, who is not a football fan, made the astute comment of "it is amazing that the Gophers can even compete with Penn State" when referring to the game day atmosphere. I tend to agree. I love Gopher football, I love tailgating, but I honestly don't know if I could devote entire weekends to every home Gopher game.

- Pennsylvania is an absolutely beautiful state.

- We rented an RV - Drove from Lakeville to Michigan City, Indiana on Wednesday. Thursday we drove from there to PSU. Woke up Sunday and drove from PSU at 8:00 eastern to home and arrived around 1:30 AM. Long drive, but man did my own shower and bed feel good!

- I love PJ Fleck but am 100% convinced that his conservative coaching costs us many games. I am not saying we would have won on Saturday but I knew we lost right after Walley's INT. We made zero attempt to actually score. I can't help but wonder what would have happened in the game if Athan comes out on 1st down and throws a 15 yard TD. Again, not saying we would have won, but would have been an amazing confidence boost and changed the flow of the game.

I'll echo most of what Schnauzer said!

*Had an absolutely awesome time in Happy Valley. Stadium/white out/tailgate atmosphere was unreal. Up there with the best gameday environments I've ever seen. As stated- the stadium was 90+% full, 45 minutes before kick. Beyond impressive.

*Beaver Stadium has (4) entry/exit gates for 110,000 people. Huntington Bank Stadium has what, 8 gates for 50,000 people? And yet somehow, their entry is a breeze with minimal security, while ours is a consistent pain in the ass.

*Most of the PSU fans were incredibly welcoming, talkative, and friendly to us. Very interested in hearing our story, how we were enjoying ourselves, when we got into town, etc. We did encounter a few hostile asshole students from Philly, but nothing too crazy, and that stuff is part of the fun anyways.

*PA is a beautiful state to drive through, especially this time of year. We flew into Cleveland and had our buddy pick us up from there- spectacular scenery almost the entire time.

*Also really enjoyed State College as a town. Beautiful campus, Berkey Creamery lived up to the hype (ice cream), bar scene was hopping and lively. All in all would love to go back for a game someday, just wish it wasn't so far away!

We went through metal detectors. Got there what ended up to be an hour before kickoff and it took about 10-15 minutes to get in through gate D, and another maybe 10 minutes to get up to our seats.

99% of the PSU fans were very hospitable. I think we had 3-4 mostly older folks welcome us and ask if how we were being treated. Couple students gave us a hard time. Back in the parking lot one guy in a typical big pickup truck told us to go back to where we came from.

Parked in Lot 34. Which is about a 20 minute walk to the stadium. Probably helped getting back on the road after the game, but still had a good 30+ minute wait to get out of the lot...even after the 20 minute walk back from the stadium. Probably the most annoying fan was the Gophers fan behind us. Loud and a motor mouth with a limited vocabulary where f*ck and sh*t were every third word out of his pie hole. Sang some silly song about 20 times throughout the game while slapping his thigh. Strange.

Great thread. I’ve been to 10 B1G stadiums and Penn State is my favorite road trip. From the stadium to the atmosphere to the great and friendly fans, it is really hard to beat. Believe it or not, Champaign is my 2nd favorite 🤷‍♂️

Missus Gil and I had a great trip to Whiteout. Flew into Newark and stayed in Scranton. Parked in Lot 33, got adopted by a Penn State family at a tailgate. Our new "family" has had season tickets for three generations. Drank beers and ate dinner with them. Stadium and crowd was very impressive. 99% of the fans we spoke with were friendly and knowledgeable. Like another poster referred to, needed a bigger scoreboard for game info and out of town scores. Definitely like going back in time, internet reception is somewhat lacking, but overall a great time.

Had a great trip (minus the second half of the game).
  • We flew in to Baltimore and had dinner at a dive bar across from Camden Yards Friday night.
  • Drove to hotel in Harrisburg. Found a bar and couldn't believe smoking is apparently legal in some bars in PA. Crazy.
  • Drove to SC Saturday morning. PA is a beautiful state, It didn't hurt that the colors were changing still. It made for a very pleasant drive.
  • Gameday in SC was great, of course. Attended the U of M tailgate in BJC. Definitely could have used a bigger room, but the food and drink were decent and lines weren't bad.
  • Got in to the stadium easily. Refs sucked. Coaching sucked. Oh well.
  • Biggest surprise of the trip was how easily we were able to exit the lots and the city after the game. Barely had to wait anywhere. I was expecting a complete disaster with 110,000 people. I've had a harder time getting home from home games.
  • Drove through the night (with a pit stop at Waffle House in Harrisburg) back to Baltimore for a 6:30 AM light.

Road trips:

1986 Liberty Bowl in Memphis against Tennessee (Loss)
1999 Iowa (Win)
2001 Iowa (Loss)
2003 Iowa (Loss)
2005 Iowa (Loss)
2007 Northwestern (Loss)
2007 Iowa (Loss)
2008 Insight Bowl in Tempe against Kansas (Loss)

1-7 record

I’m 6-15 on Gopher road games. Absolutely one of my favorite weekends every year.

Wisconsin (3x) 0-3

Penn State 0-1

Michigan 0-1

Illinois 0-1

Ohio State 0-1

TCU 0-1

USC 0-1

UNLV 1-0

Oregon State 1-0

Colorado State 1-0

Citrus Bowl 0-1

Florida Atlantic 0-1