Rand: Eight college football jobs open ... and counting?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

Thanksgiving is usually “hot stove” time for discussions about college football coaching jobs in flux, but we’re not even to Halloween yet this year and eight FBS head coaching positions — many of them at power conference schools — are already up for grabs for a variety of reasons.

Let’s take a look at the open slots in a game of musical chairs that became a much bigger local story Wednesday with the retirement of Gophers coach Jerry Kill because of health concerns.

• Gophers: This is now one of three Big Ten schools that will be seeking a permanent head coach at the end of the season, though quite possibly the one at which the interim coach (Tracy Claeys) has the best chance of getting the job. If the U administration feels as if the path charted by Kill can be continued by Claeys and his other assistants, he would be a compelling choice. The mitigating circumstance is that Minnesota also is seeking a permanent athletic director and that person could have other ideas.

http://www.startribune.com/rand-eight-college-football-jobs-open-and-counting/338568522/

Go Gophers!!

I can't see how Purdue doesn't make a change, and Indiana may as well.

+1 to Purdue, but I feel like Indiana may hold off this year due to the number of schools that will be looking to hire a coach. 5 out of 14 teams in the conference (36% of them) could realistically be looking for coaches this off season. That's crazy.

With so many openings, that's all the more reason to give the job to Claeys. It's a seller's market.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

+1 to Purdue, but I feel like Indiana may hold off this year due to the number of schools that will be looking to hire a coach. 5 out of 14 teams in the conference (36% of them) could realistically be looking for coaches this off season. That's crazy.

There's rumors there could be yet another - a certain coach with an enormous ego who enjoys khakis may get offered the job for a team he once quarterbacked. Indianapolis - Pogano out, Harbaugh in.

I don't think it's as unlikely as some people think. The guy got his former team to the Superbowl once, NFC Championship Game two more times and didn't have a losing season. You don't think he'd love to show the 49ers organization that they made a mistake by all but announcing they were going to fire him before MI came calling?

There's rumors there could be yet another - a certain coach with an enormous ego who enjoys khakis may get offered the job for a team he once quarterbacked. Indianapolis - Pogano out, Harbaugh in.

I don't think it's as unlikely as some people think. The guy got his former team to the Superbowl once, NFC Championship Game two more times and didn't have a losing season. You don't think he'd love to show the 49ers organization that they made a mistake by all but announcing they were going to fire him before MI came calling?

49ers are horrible. Jim is doing well and rolling in money.

I think he's doing that already and building a resume that he can go back to the NFL with and pretty much pick his team and time.

If Jim left now he would be a villain to Michigan fans. I don't think his ego could handle that.

Oh man, that would be funny.

I doubt he would leave at this point. He'd have to take a pay cut probably. Although the opportunity to coach Luck would be enticing I am sure.

If Jim left now he would be a villain to Michigan fans. I don't think his ego could handle that.

He was already a villain to Michigan fans until they begged him to come back. What do you think hurts his ego more? Some upset Michigan fans, or the fact that his older brother has a Super Bowl victory?

I think it's the latter, so why not coach the team that already has a franchise QB in place, who also happens to be the same QB Harbaugh recruited and won with at Stanford. I agree with Lakeville Goldy and think it is a real possibility.

Reunited with Luck? Love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom