Ran into Hightower amd Bennett

Gopher4life15

SKI-U-MAH!
Reaction score
I ran into Deon Hightower and Duane Bennett and one other player (had really long dreds) at my local target tonight. They were very kind and I congratulated them on a good season . . . Told em to beat Kansas and end the year with a win. I said to Deon that it was too bad he was all out of eligibility so he could play a year at the new stadium, and he said no way, and that he was from Texas and did not want to play in the cold. I hope this is not effecting recruiting with other players from the South

Duane said his rehabilitation is coming along very well and he just recently started running.

After going through the pictures on the Gopher football roster I think the third player was Kevin Whaley, not 100% sure however.

Anyway they were very kind. GO GOPHERS!

p.s. sorry for spelling and wrong. I do not know how to edit the title.

Just wondering but did Hightower sound saractic at all or was he serious. Because if he was kinding it might not be a big deal, but if he was serious there could be a problem.

Just wondering but did Hightower sound sarcastic at all or was he serious. Because if he was kidding it might not be a big deal, but if he was serious there could be a problem.

Maybe more like a guy ready to move on with his life. Hard to tell though honestly.

Just wondering but did Hightower sound saractic at all or was he serious. Because if he was kinding it might not be a big deal, but if he was serious there could be a problem.

I'd be curious to know if he was saractic as well.:rolleyes:

But seriously, Brewster is certainly telling the southern boys about the gametime avg. temperature. We've heard it numerous times. The kids may be concerned about the temperature, but i think not so much for football, but just life in general from December to April.

I think November football is pretty awesome, but since i'm from here it's easy to say that. Having gone to the U i know what it's like walking to class in January and February, and it ain't fun.

Too bad

you didn't recognize Whaley. You could have asked him if he's recovered from his injury and how he is doing.

He was in the background and seemed pretty quiet so I did not want to bother him.

Thanks for the post. It sounds like you were probably at the Quarry. :)

It's a fair question of whether it will impact recruiting. However, I'd have to say the proof is in the pudding. Last year was the best recruiting class that the Gophers have had since recruiting started to be closely watched and rated. This year we are in the process of another good class. All of the players that committed last season and that have made verbal commitments this season know where we are going to be playing next season. To me that evidence beats anecdotal evidence anyday. Some people from Florida or Texas aren't going to want to come to Minnesota regardless of whether we play indoor or outdoor and we can't do anything to change that.

Personally, if I were the athlete I'd be a lot more concerned about walking around campus in January than whether I'm playing in a dome in November. Even if we have a dome, they're going to have to play in Wisconsin or Iowa in November which is going to be similar weather to Minneapolis.

We brought Whaley in last January and he committed. We brought Wills in last week and he committed. Weather is going to be a battle that you fight before a player ever steps on campus. A player decides whether he can deal with the weather before he steps foot on campus and by that point it is an open competition by all teams.

I don't think it's a big deal, at all

Even in this interview, Steve Davis flat out said that he wasn't the only guy that liked playing in the Dome:

VanDeSteeg, Hightower, Simmons and Davis say goodbye to the Dome

It's just a personal prefernce. Just like that Iowa game - personally, I was sooo happy to get out of the cold and snow and go inside, but 80% of the time, I'd rather be outside.

I don't think there's any doubt that the new stadium will be FAR more a help in recruiting than a hinderance (like the Dome was). Some kids don't want to play in the cold, that's a fact, then they won't be guys that we're recruiting. There will be plenty of guys that will though!

Just remember that there are recruits like Tramaine Brock out there who, like Brew said, love the idea of the cold, snow, and everything they bring.

Bad weather is WAY overblown for new stadium!

People are forgetting how early college football season ends. It ends before Thanksgiving. The weather is still typical pretty decent. Once in a great while we can get the Halloween snowstorn but that rarely occurs. I see those old replays of the Vikings in snow and cold but the pros play in December and January (playoffs). People have WAY over blown how much the cold and snow is going to help our team in the new stadium. College football ends too early to see a lot of bad weather.

Who the heck wants to play in 90 degree temps along with 100% humidity down south? Not me. Some one could die in those conditions. Yet no one ever brings that up.

Why is Minnesota the only school that gets a bad winter rap? Iowa is only 5 degrees warmer on average, Wisconsin and Northwestern have similar temperatures, and Michigan and Michigan State actually have more snowfall. Even in January, the average temperatures are close to other Big Ten Schools. Cold winters are just part of the Big Ten in general, and it hasn't stopped Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc. from bringing in good players.

MN temperture

get rid of International Falls weather reports and that will solve low temps

Top Bottom