Ralph Sampson III has added nearly 20lbs to his frame

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Ralph Sampson III: Leaving school early has “disadvantages and advantages”
Posted on June 17th, 2009 – 3:47 PM
By Myron Medcalf

Gophers sophomore center Ralph Sampson III has a great opportunity that could have an effect on his professional future. Sampson, who averaged 6.3 points and 4.2 rebounds last season, is currently trying out for a spot on USA Basketball’s U19 squad with 16 other talented youngsters in Colorado Springs, Colo. The tryouts end Thursday.

For Sampson, it’s a chance to measure himself against other young talents from around the country, he said Tuesday night via phone. And with that come thoughts of what it might take to make it to the NBA.

Sampson said leaving Minnesota prior to his senior year is something he’s pondered, but he understands that entering the draft as an underclassman has “disadvantages and advantages” and that leaving after his senior season would also involve pros and cons.

Sampson said he knows making a national team could help raise his stock.

“It’s definitely a positive,” Sampson said about the opportunity to try out for the national squad. “It’s helping my chances of advancing to the next level.”

I covered a 2004 USA Basketball U21 tryout in New Jersey. NBA scouts lined the gym. At the very least, Sampson, especially if he makes the squad, will have an opportunity to showcase his game for key players at the next level. So a strong outing this week could mean a lot for his future.

The 6-11 Sampson told me Tuesday night that he enjoyed his first round of scrimmages on Day 1 of the tryout. A USA Basketball committee will select 12 players who will travel to New Zealand for the FIBA championships later this month.

“I’ve done pretty well so far,” he said. “There’s always room for improvement.” The son of former NBA/NCAA standout Ralph Sampson Jr. said it “would be an honor” to compete for a national team.

Sampson said he’s spent the summer rebuilding his body. At the end of last season, Sampson weighed 227 pounds on a good day. He said he’s added nearly 20 pounds to his frame since then and now carries 244 pounds. Sampson said he’s also getting more comfortable with his post game, a key for a Gophers team that fell to Texas in the NCAA tournament last season, after the Longhorns dominated Minnesota in the paint.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

244 lbs

244 lbs !

He and Colt are going to hold some ground this year. I wonder what Colt weighs now.

I really like RSIII and I hope he gets to where he wants to go. That being said I hope he stays for the full 4 and graduates before he takes on the NBA.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

gaining weight and confidence in his post moves are the 2 most important things RSIII can do this summer and it looks like he's making it happen

20 pounds since the end of the season, in March? That's amazing! He's going to be a beast - I am going to love seeing our big men develop. It's been so long since we've had a great inside presence...I almost don't want to get my hopes up too much.

I think Sampson is getting ahead of himself. I think he'll be a good player, but leaving for the NBA before his sr year should not be something he's thinking about right now. He's got a long way to go before he should even be thinking about the NBA. He's got the size (height, not weight) and the last name, but he still needs to learn how to play in the post.

244 lbs !

He and Colt are going to hold some ground this year. I wonder what Colt weighs now.

I really like RSIII and I hope he gets to where he wants to go. That being said I hope he stays for the full 4 and graduates before he takes on the NBA.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I saw Colton on campus when I was running on Tuesday. I didn't see a noticeable difference in his muscle mass.

hey he's a young ....

I always try and compare players to former players. I couldnt think of an NBA player that Sampson reminds me of both physically and in demeanor. But lately I keep thinking of a young Robert Parish. Lets hope he can become that great of a player.

I think Sampson is getting ahead of himself. I think he'll be a good player, but leaving for the NBA before his sr year should not be something he's thinking about right now. He's got a long way to go before he should even be thinking about the NBA. He's got the size (height, not weight) and the last name, but he still needs to learn how to play in the post.

Agreed. Ralph is still a ways away from being a top Big Ten player let alone an NBA player. Hope he stays the full four years for many reasons.

Agreed. Ralph is still a ways away from being a top Big Ten player let alone an NBA player. Hope he stays the full four years for many reasons.

Nazr Mohammed was TERRIBLE as a freshman, decent as a sophomore, and NBA 1st round pick as a junior.

Sampson was decent as a freshman so he's ahead of Mohammed already.

When you read the article, I come away with the impression that the question was asked of RSIII by Medcalf, not that RSIII broached the subject. I think it was a pretty stock answer to a question and the angle that Medcalf took with the story was to promote RSIII's pro aspirations by attending the U-19 tryouts. I'm glad to hear RSIII's focused on the NBA, I'm sure he realizes he has a ways to go to reach that goal, but it seems that he doesn't have his head in the clouds about the possibility.

I hope it's good weight. He has a ton of potential but I agree that he shouldn't be in a hurry to get to the NBA. If he concentrate on progressing and building a more all around game, he'll get his shot at the NBA. If nothing else, he'll get some serious looks based solely off of his size. I'm not the type that thinks that losing is ever a good thing, but the physical beating he took from Pittman in the tourny could have been the best thing for his long term development. He seems committed to not letting that happen again.

>>I hope it's good weight.<<

I've never heard of adding 20 pounds of muscle in three months. Let's hope for the best.

When you read the article, I come away with the impression that the question was asked of RSIII by Medcalf, not that RSIII broached the subject. I think it was a pretty stock answer to a question and the angle that Medcalf took with the story was to promote RSIII's pro aspirations by attending the U-19 tryouts. I'm glad to hear RSIII's focused on the NBA, I'm sure he realizes he has a ways to go to reach that goal, but it seems that he doesn't have his head in the clouds about the possibility.

Good point. Even when Medcalf's writing about the gophers is positive, he still finds a way to make them or a player look bad.

I look at the NBA talk as a good thing, the vast majority of elite college basketball players enter the draft before their college eligibility is up. If Ralph can get to that level it will certainly help the Gophers and it probably would be the best thing for his career to leave a year early.

Lets hope that muscle translates into making 10 foot jump shots...RSIII missed everything last year...

He doesn't have to add 20 lbs of muscle right now. The important point is adding that weight. The more the better in his case. even if it was 20 lbs of non muscle it would still be beneficial for him. I don't think we have to worry about him getting to J. Williams weight class anytime soon.The coaches probably at this point just want the weight no matter how it comes. Then after the weight is here they can work witht that. He has his scheduled workouts per day/week. He has alot of time this summer, so lets just be greatful that he is adding some pounds.

cant disagree more.

20 pounds on Sampson III better be muscle and strength or it will take away from his biggest strength which is his speed and athletic ability. He needs to get bigger yes but it needs to be in the right way. I dont think just adding 20 pounds is good for anyone its adding 20 good pounds that is important.

Nazr Mohammed was TERRIBLE as a freshman, decent as a sophomore, and NBA 1st round pick as a junior.

Sampson was decent as a freshman so he's ahead of Mohammed already.

I'd be o.k. with Ralph staying three years and going on to the NBA. I'd rather he stay four years, and I think he'd be better for it in the long run, but who knows??

The Nazr mention again shows how desperate the NBA is for quality big-men as Nazr has been terrible in the NBA. I suppose if Paul Grant can get drafted in the first round:eek:---Ralph could be a lottery pick:).

With the work out and conditioning schedule that i'm sure RSIII is on I highly doubt it is going to be bad weight. I wasn't saying 20 lbs of fat is good, and if it came across that I did support 20 lbs of fat I apologize. I think the important thing is finding the ideal weight for him so he can hold his own in the paint and still maintain his athleticism.

note. if you are trying to add weight with along with strength you will have to eat alot, alot of small well balanced meals to revitalize ones body.

20 pounds on Sampson III better be muscle and strength or it will take away from his biggest strength which is his speed and athletic ability. He needs to get bigger yes but it needs to be in the right way. I dont think just adding 20 pounds is good for anyone its adding 20 good pounds that is important.

actually RSIII isn't overly athletic to be honest. He's not a great leaper or all that quick with the ball. He's a decent athlete but not a great one like the kid from Purdue or one of those typical UCONN 4's and 5's

G4life I know from personal experience that it is entirely possible to gain 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months. I was probably the same size proportionately minus the height of course and was able to gain that much weight of pure muscle. Unfortunately that's where I plateaud(sp) hopefully not for him though I think another 10 to 20 would be good for him so he can still keep up the speed athleticism he has. Go Gophers!

>>I realize that Sampson almost always looks disinterested.<<

I think he just tires of climbing up onto that raised floor.

I think he just tires of climbing up onto that raised floor

Raised Floor? Who has a raised floor? When I think about it a raised floor would be really cool.I bet it would be a great recruiting tool.

First off, 20 pounds in 3 months is really not that ridiculous, especially someone with a 6'11 frame like him where he had a lot of room to add weight.

Second, quit whining about the raised floor. You sound like a complete idiot and you are a tool.
________
Starcraft 2 replays

>>I hope it's good weight.<<

I've never heard of adding 20 pounds of muscle in three months. Let's hope for the best.

I gained about 12 pounds lifting hard after my freshman year of college football. That was in about 3 months. I'm 5'8". Should be pretty easy for someone his height to put on 17 pounds.

Top Bottom