Ralph Friedgen

ralph-friedgen-is-fit.jpg

Absolutely not.

Agree. I follow college football and if someone had asked me at the beginning of the season who Maryland's coach is, I would have had absolutely no answer. So no, not even close to a Tubby hire.

Agree. I follow college football and if someone had asked me at the beginning of the season who Maryland's coach is, I would have had absolutely no answer. So no, not even close to a Tubby hire.

Apparently not enough. The guy won 8 different COY awards in 2001 and was a 2x ACC COY.

Not to me either

Apparently not enough. The guy won 8 different COY awards in 2001 and was a 2x ACC COY.

Ya, in 2001 he was hot! He had two nice years right after that in 2002 and 3 and then pretty much floundered until this year.

He lasted through the down seasons, why did he get fired with a good year this year?

I do have a politically incorrect question too. What is up with some of these football coaches weighing 450 pounds? As a player, I realize the coach is not participating or going through my conditioning workouts but he is talking to me about work ethic, discipline, being successful in life etc. And my coach weighs 450 pounds? What kind of example is that? Can I trust what he says? Can I respect him? Not saying he needs to run a six minute mile but being able to fit on the bus or or not enter through the cargo doors on a plane should be kind of a base requirement? Or doesn't matter?

For the record, Friedgen lost a ton of weight. That's an older picture.

Ya, in 2001 he was hot! He had two nice years right after that in 2002 and 3 and then pretty much floundered until this year.

He lasted through the down seasons, why did he get fired with a good year this year?

I do have a politically incorrect question too. What is up with some of these football coaches weighing 450 pounds? As a player, I realize the coach is not participating or going through my conditioning workouts but he is talking to me about work ethic, discipline, being successful in life etc. And my coach weighs 450 pounds? What kind of example is that? Can I trust what he says? Can I respect him? Not saying he needs to run a six minute mile but being able to fit on the bus or or not enter through the cargo doors on a plane should be kind of a base requirement? Or doesn't matter?

Yeah, I don't know if it really matters in that sense. I could see it being a hinderance with the size that some of them are (Mangino and Friedgen) where it would negatively impact their health. There is no way that a guy like Friedgen could have the same amount of energy as someone in decent shape.

It's tough though because there have been some really good fat coaches (Bill Parcells, Rex Ryan, etc.).

I wouldn't say 7 bowl games in 10 years is floundering. My point was that he wasn't some obscure coach that no one has ever heard of, like Max implied by saying he followed college football but had no idea who Maryland's coach was. Now if you'll excuse me i'll go back to organizing my extensive bottle cap collection which happens to be the largest of it's kind in north central MN.

ok

I wouldn't say 7 bowl games in 10 years is floundering. My point was that he wasn't some obscure coach that no one has ever heard of, like Max implied by saying he followed college football but had no idea who Maryland's coach was. Now if you'll excuse me i'll go back to organizing my extensive bottle cap collection which happens to be the largest of it's kind in north central MN.

Ok, you are more correct than the perception I presented, but one of the bowl years was a losing season and one was 7 and 5 overall until they won the bowl game. This in addition to his three losing seasons. So, more good than bad agreed.

Pop and beer bottle caps? Plastic screw off tops gotta be taking all the joy out of life?

Top Bottom