Radio Network Contract Extended

Grimm is an OK play-by-play guy. I honestly don't know how much Darrell adds to the broadcast.

my personal issue is with the 2-hour long pre-game show. I know - you don't have to listen if you don't want to. but geez, do you really need a 2-hour pre-game show? most of it is filler and fluff.

I would rather have a longer post-game show with more interviews, analysis or even a fan call-in segment - something that the fans who attend the game in person can listen to in the car on the way home.

Grimm is an OK play-by-play guy. I honestly don't know how much Darrell adds to the broadcast.

my personal issue is with the 2-hour long pre-game show. I know - you don't have to listen if you don't want to. but geez, do you really need a 2-hour pre-game show? most of it is filler and fluff.

I would rather have a longer post-game show with more interviews, analysis or even a fan call-in segment - something that the fans who attend the game in person can listen to in the car on the way home.
When I park at the Fairgrounds, by the time I get out of the stadium, on the shuttle, to the lot and then my car (approx 20 minutes) the post-game show is usually over or about to wrap up.

If I hang around a lot near the stadium for even 1 beverage, it's done.

This 100%. I also park at the fairgrounds and it is very disappointing to get there just as it's wrapping up. I think a post-game would be more beneficial than a pre-game but that's just me.

Fair points. I don't listen to either of those much, but there have been some games that I wish I could have listened to more post game analysis and fan talk.

The one program I listen to often is Gopher Hockey. I really love listening to Wally Shaver. I vaguely remember listing to his father Al (?) Shaver (North Stars). Anyway. IMHO he does a great job. Wally with Pat Micheletti, and Frank Mazzacco make for an interesting broadcast. Not sure if Learfield has anything to do with the current broadcast or not.

Last edited:

Usually post game is short to roll into a big time national broadcast. I have a suspicion that they know what generates more listeners/money for the station.

Usually post game is short to roll into a big time national broadcast. I have a suspicion that they know what generates more listeners/money for the station.
Probably true, and I don't know that they'd have a ton of callers like say, the Vikings do.

Fair points. I don't listen to either of those much, but there have been some games that I wish I could have listened to more post game analysis and fan talk.

The one program I listen to often is Gopher Hockey. I really love listening to Wally Shaver. I vaguely remember listing to his father Al (?) Shaver (North Stars). Anyway. IMHO he does a great job. Wally with Pat Micheletti, and Frank Mazzacco make for an interesting broadcast. Not sure if Learfield has anything to do with the current broadcast or not.
Hockey is also Learfield. Wally's father is Al Shaver.

It's fortunate that for several decades this market had Al Shaver, Herb Carneal & Ray Christensen. Pre-cable TV, I spent lots of hours listening to those voices but still "seeing" the action.

This 100%. I also park at the fairgrounds and it is very disappointing to get there just as it's wrapping up. I think a post-game would be more beneficial than a pre-game but that's just me.
Both? Why not both?

Put me down as loving 2 hours of pregame gopher football! Love it!

Grimm is a solid PBP guy, but he has got to stop whining about referees when he thinks the Gophers have been wronged. He has a habit of losing stretches of game action to said whining. While it's not as big a problem in football, it's a major issue in basketball.

Also, the sound quality in FM is crap. It sounds like it's being patched through 6 different dialup lines, with a couple of tomato cans on strings in between.

Grimm is a solid PBP guy, but he has got to stop whining about referees when he thinks the Gophers have been wronged. He has a habit of losing stretches of game action to said whining. While it's not as big a problem in football, it's a major issue in basketball.
This is my only real gripe with Grimm. He describes the play well and is enthusiastic but complains all the time about the refs. It's off-putting and distracts from the game. Agree that it's much worse in basketball than football.

We live in the northern Brainerd Lakes area and it disappoints me greatly to look for Gopher football on game days and all I get is NDSU Bison games. Not that there's anything wrong with Bison football but shouldn't this be Gopher country?

We live in the northern Brainerd Lakes area and it disappoints me greatly to look for Gopher football on game days and all I get is NDSU Bison games. Not that there's anything wrong with Bison football but shouldn't this be Gopher country?
A couple of times while I have been out of market, I have used the Gopher Sports App to listen to games. With reliable WiFi, works ok.

I listen out of state with the iHeart radio app.

Also, the sound quality in FM is crap. It sounds like it's being patched through 6 different dialup lines, with a couple of tomato cans on strings in between.
I'm thinking it's your radio or streaming device. Sound quality in my car is very good. It's an HD radio but the move to having them on FM is light years better than AM.

Western Minnesota here. I'm going to call out a local bar by name. This past fall I went with two of my sons to Pit 611 in Audubon Minnesota when the place was half full, to watch a Gophers game. We took a table directly in front of a TV that only we would be watching and asked for the Gophers game. Server said, "We don't get access to the remotes, so we can't change channels." A minute later I watched the bartender change a channel for another customer. I called the server over and pointed that out, and she said, "Yes, but we don't get that channel." But I knew they could get BTN, and I told her what channel it was. She apologized and left, and never made a move to take our order, never even came back. Eventually my boys and I got up to leave, and as we walked away, a dude leaned over from a nearby table and said, "This is Bison country, baby!"

After a 40 minute drive to BWW in Moorhead, we enjoyed some spicy boneless wings and a Gophers win.

Western Minnesota here. I'm going to call out a local bar by name. This past fall I went with two of my sons to Pit 611 in Audubon Minnesota when the place was half full, to watch a Gophers game. We took a table directly in front of a TV that only we would be watching and asked for the Gophers game. Server said, "We don't get access to the remotes, so we can't change channels." A minute later I watched the bartender change a channel for another customer. I called the server over and pointed that out, and she said, "Yes, but we don't get that channel." But I knew they could get BTN, and I told her what channel it was. She apologized and left, and never made a move to take our order, never even came back. Eventually my boys and I got up to leave, and as we walked away, a dude leaned over from a nearby table and said, "This is Bison country, baby!"

After a 40 minute drive to BWW in Moorhead, we enjoyed some spicy boneless wings and a Gophers win.
Well that seals it. I'm never going to pit 611!

That's pretty much true up in that area. Just like everyone I know from NW Minnesota are UND Hockey fans - not Gopher fans.

Top Bottom