Radio Broadcast Feedback

If the signal isn't reaching into areas that it used to reach, that's an opportunity to add more stations.

lol

I was waiting to see your response.

Hopefully it doesn't chap your ass too much to see all the glowing reviews of Gaardsy and the FAN's Gopher broadcasting. =P

I actually did hear the post-game once in a while on the way home, and I enjoyed it.

Here's how I look at it: I'm sure there are plenty of Russians who would be great working for the CIA, but I'd rather have Americans in those positions.

I thought the broadcast was much improved than the product that was put forth down the dial, especially for the last few seasons. Don't know how I'd improve it, but I'm sure you guys will have internal discussions as to what you believe needs to be done. I do like the interviews with former Gophers.

Keep up the good work. Nice debut season.

I'm a pretty loyal KFAN listener, so I enjoyed the coverage, I agree it was way better than 'CCO. One thing I'd like is more of a Big Ten preview, probably on Fridays to preview other games which I might not normally pay much attention to, since I often don't listen to the radio until game time on Saturdays.

Please, please, don't ever bring in someone to do a pre-game Greg Coleman type preach like on Vikings broadcasts, it's the dumbest thing on radio and if I ever hear something like that I will instantly turn the dial.

I thought Grimm was OK, not as good as some other posters. I think it was the Northwestern game that he horribly botched and stumbled through a call and video review of whether or not a Gophers pass play would stand or be called back...Thompson knew it would stand but Grimm sounded like an idiot, insisting it would be called back, thoroughly confusing me on what was going on. The play stood. Other than that he did OK.

I actually did hear the post-game once in a while on the way home, and I enjoyed it.

Here's how I look at it: I'm sure there are plenty of Russians who would be great working for the CIA, but I'd rather have Americans in those positions.

I have only heard maybe 2 minutes max of the in-game broadcasting, so I can't have an official opinion on that yet (although I love the sound of Mike Grimm's voice). I do agree with you on the post-game stuff, though. I even like your boy Gaard doing the interviews.

JG, yeah, I'd recommend telling your co-workers not to bring up your Iowa affinity. I think you've been fair and all, and I probably wouldn't have even noticed it had I not heard one of your colleagues point it out.

I only caught maybe 2 road games, but I thought they were pretty good. I don't have much input for improvement. I like Darrell Thompson, even though he may not be the best possible color man, he does have a great history with the U and I like having him there.

I used to listen to Barreiro, but I just couldn't anymore because it's so lame. He's the king of knocking down straw men and having nothing constructive or interesting to say. I don't know if you or any of the other guys on that show have improved, but the constant sucking up to DB is lame. Don't go along with everything he says just because he's the host - I realize you're all friends, but you can disagree. Call a spade a spade, and DB's ill-informed opinions often fall in that category.

Great job all around. I do have one suggestion, and that would be to remove the snark/sarcasm from your broadcast. One specific incident happened during the post-game show after the Iowa game. You were sarcastically talking about the Gophers actually winning a game and how weird it will be to conduct post-game interviews after a win. In my opinion, that sarcasm goes over like a lead balloon, especially after such a big and entertaining win. Keep up with the excellent broadcast and reporting, lose the attempts at satire.

Great job all around. I do have one suggestion, and that would be to remove the snark/sarcasm from your broadcast. One specific incident happened during the post-game show after the Iowa game. You were sarcastically talking about the Gophers actually winning a game and how weird it will be to conduct post-game interviews after a win. In my opinion, that sarcasm goes over like a lead balloon, especially after such a big and entertaining win. Keep up with the excellent broadcast and reporting, lose the attempts at satire.

And you WEREN'T surprised that we beat Iowa? BTW, the lead balloon thing was busted by Jamie and Adam, so you might want to use another idiom.

i hear you. guessing the gophers beating his beloved iowee squawkeyes the last two seasons was a bitter pill for gaard to swallow.

Lighten up, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. I was in the car listening and I laughed at that.

Justin- You did a great job, you have chops. I love Rosey, but you're part of the broadcast team, I think you should tell Abbott that you should co-host Jerry Kill's weekly show with Grimm. Another thing, you should be using your website better as a tool to draw in an audience with stories and content. The link between Gophers football and KFAN should be strong and well known.

Lighten up, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. I was in the car listening and I laughed at that.

Well said. There are some thin skins around here. Gaard and KFAN did a good job this past season. As long as they never involve Charchian in the broadcast, I'm in.

I'm curious why the coach's show was on at 12:00 Thursdays, as opposed to the evenings. Most nights, KFAN doesn't have anything live/local past 6:30, and I would think the show would get a better radio audience.

Nice attitude, maybe Minnesota could have more Pheasants so people wouldn't have to travel to eastern SD to hunt. I agree with littlebigboy. I live in Sioux Falls (15miles west of the Minnesota border) and I have a difficult time getting a clear broadcast. It can be frustrating for all the Gopher fans here.

This was my concern with the UM switching from 830AM to KFAN. The 830AM network provided great coverage throughout the upper Midwest for many years and allowed those in the far reaches a chance to listen in. I can relate to that as I depended on the network to allow me listen in back in the 60's and 70's. Sounds as if that has been comprimised with KFANS limited market.

For those in the metro area this a probably a non-issue as there are probably enough KFAN outlets.

I am not affected as I attend all the home games minus 1 and am able to watch the away games on BTN. But I can sympathize with those in the rural areas depending on the radio broadcast to follow the Gophers.

Yet Maturi must have felt that dumping 830 was the best overall deal in spite of alienating a lot of distant but yet loyal Gopher fans. Not.

Can KFAN look at getting more rural stations on board?

This was my concern with the UM switching from 830AM to KFAN. The 830AM network provided great coverage throughout the upper Midwest for many years and allowed those in the far reaches a chance to listen in. I can relate to that as I depended on the network to allow me listen in back in the 60's and 70's. Sounds as if that has been comprimised with KFANS limited market.

For those in the metro area this a probably a non-issue as there are probably enough KFAN outlets.

I am not affected as I attend all the home games minus 1 and am able to watch the away games on BTN. But I can sympathize with those in the rural areas depending on the radio broadcast to follow the Gophers.

Yet Maturi must have felt that dumping 830 was the best overall deal in spite of alienating a lot of distant but yet loyal Gopher fans. Not.

Actually, KFAN and WCCO have nothing to do with the network. It is run by Learfield. Learfield added several stations to the network for this past year. They have a larger network now than they did when games were on WCCO. The issue, of course, is WCCO covered the upper midwest by itself (especially at night). KFAN does not.

I believe to help make up for that, they allowed people to listen for free on the internet, on their smart phones, and they also cleared all games on XM/Sirius Radio.

Basically, if you live in the 21st Century and took the time to figure it out, you could get the game somehow from almost anywhere. And, in the Metro, having the game on strong-signalled FM was a nice upgrade.

Actually, KFAN and WCCO have nothing to do with the network. It is run by Learfield. Learfield added several stations to the network for this past year. They have a larger network now than they did when games were on WCCO. The issue, of course, is WCCO covered the upper midwest by itself (especially at night). KFAN does not.

I believe to help make up for that, they allowed people to listen for free on the internet, on their smart phones, and they also cleared all games on XM/Sirius Radio.

Basically, if you live in the 21st Century and took the time to figure it out, you could get the game somehow from almost anywhere. And, in the Metro, having the game on strong-signalled FM was a nice upgrade.

THIS.

I'll be honest. I am not a big fan of Mike Grimm - mainly due to his Gopher Men's basketball broadcasts. But, I will grudgingly admit that he did an adequate job on the FB PBP. As far as Darrell Thompson - I think he adds nothing to the broadcast. If you're not going to analyze the game, at least find a color guy who has some personality. Gaard was OK as a sideline reporter - (a position I'm not wild about - IMHO, the best thing a sideline reporter can add to the broadcast is info on injuries - whether someone is coming back in the game or not.)

The pre-game show seems long to me - I could live with a half-hour pre-game, but I realize the longer format provides room for the flagship station and affiliates to run more ads. On the post-game show, I think someone else talked about this, but I would split the call-in segment out of the post-game show, and make it a stand-alone program. I used to live in Iowa, and the Hawkeye radio network does a long call-in program after their game broadcast. (I used to listen to it when the Hawkeyes lost, just to hear all the fans melting down......:). Bottom line - no more Dave Lee is a plus. (I listened to a few minutes of a St. Thomas game last week, and Lee is still doing the same junk he did with the Gopher games - it's really hard to figure out what's going on. )

Really enjoyed the broadcasts. Since I couldn't watch the games and I'm stuck in Texas, really liked the internet broadcast. IMO the PBP in particular (Grimm?) and Darrell were excellent. Looking forward to listening next year.

All in all a solid first year.

Mrs. Billd and myself usually sit across from the broadcast on the TCF plaza and enjoy a pregame JimmyJohn's, so we like that part continuing.

As for the gameday show itself, please consider a replay of Coach Kill's post-game comments in the second hour of KFAN's home coverage. Because we walk from TCF to the West Bank lots after the games, we typically don't catch Coach Kill's live comments. A replay in the second hour would address this for us (and I'm sure some others too) and possibly add some fodder for post-game calls.

Again, congrats to KFAN and the Learfield Sports team for this season. Looking forward to better things from you and the Kill-era Gophers.

I spend a lot of time in your area in the fall so I sympathize. It's one of the big reasons I subscribe to XM radio - so I can listen to Gopher and Wild games at our cabin. The only issue is that for away games, you get the opposing team's feed.

That said - I really enjoyed KFAN's coverage this season. As I said early in the year, for the first time in decades, the broadcast made it feel like you were listening to a big time college program, and not a bunch of hayseeds playing broadcaster. I also think that the Gopher broadcasts absolutely blow away the Vikings as well. Keep up the good work.

As for the gameday show itself, please consider a replay of Coach Kill's post-game comments in the second hour of KFAN's home coverage. Because we walk from TCF to the West Bank lots after the games, we typically don't catch Coach Kill's live comments. A replay in the second hour would address this for us (and I'm sure some others too) and possibly add some fodder for post-game calls.

This. For those of us on the West Bank, we almost never hear the post game comments. I love being able to hear post game coverage once I leave, but it is almost always calls since it might take 30 minutes to get back to my car on the West Bank.

Top Bottom