Rachel Blount sums it up perfectly...

andy

Reaction score
From her column today:

"Maturi is about as popular as E. coli among a mass of fans, alumni and former players. He's made costly mistakes that warrant criticism, but some of his detractors have allowed their feelings about Maturi to cloud their judgment. During the search, former Gophers punter Adam Kelly sent an e-mail to eight officials at Temple University -- where potential candidate Al Golden coaches -- saying that former players offered their apologies in advance if Maturi attempted to speak to Golden without contacting Temple's athletic director first.

Presumably, Kelly wanted the U to hire a highly-regarded coach. His inflammatory, foolish e-mail, apparently prompted by his dislike of Maturi, torpedoed the U's ability to do so. Four decades of aimlessness made the Gophers' job a tough enough sell. The spectacle of former players publicly undermining the athletic director made it all the more unattractive, leaving candidates to wonder what kind of dysfunction and dissent they could be walking into."

I am quite excited for our potential growth under Coach Kill. I am also LIVID at the audacity of some of our former players for publicly ridiculing the entire coaching search process from the get-go. This was direct, undeniable sabotage, and it happened in-house, essentially.

I know it's been discussed, but I'm amazed that this hasn't gotten more play on this board.

Come on, nobody in their right mind believes some former kicker with a hotmail account damaged the coaching search.

Come on, nobody in their right mind believes some former kicker with a hotmail account damaged the coaching search.

I'm referring also to the savegopherfootball.com fiasco.

I don't know whether or not Kelly's idiocy did anything one way or the other. I find it kind of odd that Edsall, if he did ever accept the job, dropped out on Saturday; the day the Kelly story hit the paper.

But Kelly gave the program yet another black-eye. I'm sure that it was just another chuckle in the laughingstock we have become nationally. After some initial disappointment, I think Kill is the right guy to get us back on track.

I'm sure that it was just another chuckle in the laughingstock we have become nationally.

We aren't even a laughing stock. We're the slow kid who everybody feels bad making fun of, if people even remember we're sitting in the room. Nationally, this program doesn't make any ripples, sad as it is to say.

Top Bottom