Quinn Carroll - Guard or Tackle?

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about actually evaluating OL performance.

I've read many posts critiquing Carroll's performance so far. Also, if I remember correctly there was a lot of movement on the right side of the line in fall camp between the G and T positions. Tackle was not settled and I swear Carroll gots reps at both positions.

Given QC has 2 more years of eligibility remaining, I'm assuming he will be a factor on the OL, is there something in his skill set that may make him a better G over T??

Both guards, Ruschmeyer and Filiaga, are gone next year. Martes Lewis and JJ Guedet, if they have the stuff, are more physical prototypes of a RT in our system. Wouldn’t be surprised if QC moved inside, where he wouldn’t need same footwork to be effective. But this is wild speculation in my part.

I don’t know.

OL needs some work that’s for sure, on pass protection, but even Mo has had to work his magic when he gets jumped by multiple dudes in the backfield… Mo has bailed them out too.

I'm really interested to see how our OL looks if we continue to keep them honest. There is nothing a DL likes more than knowing exactly what's coming and not having to maintain sound pass rushing lanes.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse with Morgan and Fleck, but with how conservative we have played at times and with Mogan's pocket awareness, it's tough. It's not all on them, but we don't put our OL in the best position to succeed. There were times in 2020 where people were really down on Big Dan for the same things and people absolutely roasted Sam Schlueter when he was an underclassman.

I agree with Bob that Morgan’s lack of mobility and the lack of passing success must make it hard to pass protect. Loved to see Athan rolling out with clean looks and for the most part being really accurate when on the move. That is a huge positive for the offense.

Lose the entire starting interior OL from this year. Will be interesting to see what they do next year.

Would think Ersery has LT locked down for the next 3 years (unless leaves early for NFL). I think they're saying 2021 was a redshirt season for Ersery. Also would think Boe will get one of those spots, perhaps Center. He has 1 year left.

OL roster, sorted by number of years remaining going into 2023 (bold I assume will start next season):

Boe - 6'5 300 - 1 year
Shaw - 6'4 310 - 1 year

Guedet - 6'7 310 - 2 years
J. Ruschmeyer - 6'4 295 - 2 years
Cooper - 6'5 310 - 2 years
Carroll - 6'6 310 - 2 years

Ersery - 6'6 325 - 3 years

Lewis - 6'7 330 - 3 years
Lawrence - 6'7 355 - 3 years

--- above: got free covid season, below: did not ---

Alvarez - 6'6 260 - 3 years
James - 6'8 305 - 3 years
Hunter - 6'6 275 - 3 years
Nelson - 6'6 280 - 3 years
Purcell - 6'7 260 - 3 years

McConnell - 6'5 300 - 4 years
Beers - 6'5 300 - 4 years

Last edited:

We've also got 4 OL coming in the 2023 class, as high school recruits. (Nevermind if we bring in anyone from the portal)

That includes our current top ranked recruit, OL from Osseo.

So I think we've got quite a lot of guys in the OL room who might need to think about their future, depending on how they do and what happens after Spring Ball this coming spring.

Whatever he is, according to the coaches, he is our best option because he is still playing despite his 'turnstile' abilities. Not sure what that says about our current backups?

We've also got 4 OL coming in the 2023 class, as high school recruits. (Nevermind if we bring in anyone from the portal)

That includes our current top ranked recruit, OL from Osseo.

So I think we've got quite a lot of guys in the OL room who might need to think about their future, depending on how they do and what happens after Spring Ball this coming spring.
With the potential of AK, they must get it right.

Top Bottom