Quick Question

Gopher Gold

Reaction score
Who were the other coaching candidates the U was considering at the time when Brew was hired?

Who were the other coaching candidates the U was considering at the time when Brew was hired?

UF D-coordinator Charlie Strong (now Louisville head coach)was the only other candidate officially interviewed. Lane Kiffin was also mentioned and I'm sure others were considered/interviewed unofficially.

The guy coming next week. Gary Patterson used us. Florida D coordinator.

Rumor is that TCU's Gary Patterson was offered the job, got a raise at TCU, and turned us down. Other names that interviewed that you'd recognize include: Bo Pellini, Lane Kiffin, Charlie Strong, Craig Bohl, Mike Haywood. All of those guys interviewed (confirmed at various reports over time).

These guys expressed interest, not sure if they interviewed: Steve Kragthorpe, Art Briles, Frank Solich, Dan McCarney, Larry Coker, Bobby Hauck, Marc Trestman.

Tony Dungy went on record saying they should hire Leslie Frazier.

I would love a Leslie Frazier type guy, but what are the realistic chances of that happen?

I have a complete list on a spreadsheet at work that I've saved.

Patterson turned us down.
Pelini and Kiffin were interviewed and on record as saying they were interested but never offered. (boy Pelini would look nice here, eh?)

Some sources say Charlie Strong was interviewed too.

If you ever heard Charlie Strong speak you can see why he wouldn't do well in an interview. Not sure how dude passed english section of his ACT/SAT.

"Was was trying to ...."

A salesman talked about personally recruiting Vince Young and used adjectives and adverbs to woo Maturi.

According to the kool-aid drinkers though this was some feat getting a Houston kid to go to Austin. After all, since Brewster left the recruiting at Texas has sure suffered without him because he was irreplaceable. Maturi was wowed because he got a phone call from Shanahan who was just trying to get Brewster out the door so he didn't have to fire him.

Where have you seen him speak? I've seen him at FB clinics and on tape. Was a very good speaker.
If you ever heard Charlie Strong speak you can see why he wouldn't do well in an interview. Not sure how dude passed english section of his ACT/SAT.

"Was was trying to ...."

Top Bottom