Quick look at remaining opponents after week 4

So, the U will be the first to beat O$U in the BIG title game. Book it.

Purdue will be a handful. Especially if they get some of their players back.

I'd say they could be a handful, but they could look like they did last night as well.

This Purdue team is not as good as last year's Purdue team, IMO.

Be careful what you wish for.
The reward for winning the West is meeting tOSU in the championship game.
It most likely means we’d be playing for a spot in the CFP if we are playing tOSU in the championship game. I’ll take that every year!

Purdue - Dealing with some injuries escaped with a narrow win over an FAU team that made a TON of mistakes and stupid plays. We matchup well against them and Rossi does well defending their offense.

@Illinois - They look ok. Their game next week against Wisconsin should tell a lot.

@Penn State - Easily looks like the toughest team left on our schedule. They have played really well this year and it will be a tough game in Happy Valley.

Rutgers - They looked horrible against Iowa, sloppy with the ball and very little if any offense. We should be big favorites in this one.

@Nebraska - Off this week so couldn't lose another game. Not much mystery here, they have athletes but they are a complete and total mess.

Northwestern - Lost to Miami OH - they just aren't a good team this year. If we don't go 3-0 in the Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestrn part of the schedule it will be a major diaappointment.

Iowaj - If you let their defense score you can lose. If you make them score, yeah not so much. Handled Rutgers and their defense/special teams look strong but they just are not good at offense, at all.

Wisconsin - Obliterated by Ohio State. Their defense has taken a massive step back from last year. Will be interesting to see how they do against Illinois next week.

Through 4 weeks we are the ONLY team in the West that doesn't have any massive question marks. We will be tested at some point this year but right now things look great for our Gophers heading into week 5.
If the Gophers continue to lock and reload like they did last year with critical injuries, they will do just fine. I had confidence when PJ Fleck said this is a team with great depth.

Preseason sports prognosticators picked the Gophers to finish third in the B1G West. Coach "Flea" was okay with that chatter. He prefers to be under the radar. He knows what is under the Gophers' hood starting with the "Encore Four."

This 2022 Team is well-coached and hungry. There is plenty under the hood:

"They dealt with several injuries and lost to two bad teams" (and also a bad OC).

Kirk Ciarrocca is back! KC and Joe Rossi rock!

I want to see a rematch with tOSU this season!

Mo should be considered for the Heisman if he remains healthy and the Gophers make it to the Big Ten Title.

Illinois game gives me great concern. A much improved Illini team on the road combined with the possible look ahead to PSU.
Great concern? Based in fact or based in being a Minnesota “fan”?

After destroying MSU in East Lansing, the Gophers are no longer flying under anyone's radar. All the teams on our remaining schedule will circle the Minnesota game. Good teams like Penn State will see their game against the Gophers as a chance to cement their reputations and solidify the poll status. Lesser teams will see an opportunity to have one shining moment in an otherwise disappointing season by knocking off a highly-ranked Gophers squad.

From now on, we'll have targets on our backs.
I was skeptical when Penn St joined the Big Ten and worse so with the govenor's trophy, which seemed so made up. But in the 30 some years since, we've made a damn nice rivalry with them. I love our games against Penn St.

Be careful what you wish for.
The reward for winning the West is meeting tOSU in the championship game.
You would rather lose a game and avoid losing the championship game. What a pansy, candy ass approach to life. Then again coming from you not surprising

You would rather lose a game and avoid losing the championship game. What a pansy, candy ass approach to life. Then again coming from you not surprising

Well, remember you are talking to a Wisconsin fan.

I think the Gophers can easily hang with tOSU, and any other ‘22 FBS team.
No joke! They are really well put together.

Great concern? Based in fact or based in being a Minnesota “fan”?
I share OP's point of view. Illinois, in my opinion, had a touchdown taken from them by the refs in the Indiana game. They also had a lot of penalities. If they can play mistake free football they should be able to beat us if we don't.

I don't share Plato's pov, but I want to see the gophers in the Rose bowl more than I want to see the gophers in the playoff. In my ideal world we go 13-0 and decline the playoff berth and play in Pasadena.

Here's what I'm hoping for go 12-0, meet the East Champ, then play a great game. Win we're in the CFP, make it a nail biter in losing, we go to the Rose Bowl. The thing we can't do is get dominated.

Just listened to "The Rise..." piece and on target except the author thought both Nebbie and Purdue would be on top with the Gophers.

I guess you can't predict a dumpster fire (Nebbie) or the injury bug (again) for Purdue.

I heard it was a “back injury”. He seems a little young to be suffering slipped discs picking things up off the floor so that’s an interesting one. Maybe a neck issue. Obviously just wild guesses. I don’t think it will matter either way.
Purdue media says ribs. Apparently they don't know it's supposed to be a secret.

Everyone seems to think that Aidan O'Connell is key to this game.

What's O'Connell's won-lost record against Minnesota? We've played against him several times, haven't we?

What's O'Connell's won-lost record against Minnesota? We've played against him several times, haven't we?
He is the key from the standpoint that they need him to have a shot against us. Without him their passing offense takes a big step back and they can't run the ball (against a good defense). Their defense isn't good enough to stop us so if they can't keep up on offense they are dead in the water.

If we lost to Ohio State this year, OSU more than likely go to the semifinals.

Then that means we more than likely go to the rose bowl, right?

I would love this.
If Gophs are the next highest ranked B1G team, yes.

He is the key from the standpoint that they need him to have a shot against us. Without him their passing offense takes a big step back and they can't run the ball (against a good defense). Their defense isn't good enough to stop us so if they can't keep up on offense they are dead in the water.

Has O'Connell ever beaten the Gophers?

I don't share Plato's pov, but I want to see the gophers in the Rose bowl more than I want to see the gophers in the playoff. In my ideal world we go 13-0 and decline the playoff berth and play in Pasadena.
That would look great on PJs resume: 13-0, ranked No. 2 in the country, declined playoff birth.

He's better than the backup. It matters.

Has O'Connell ever beaten the Gophers?
If we're playing Iowa and there were doubt about Morgan starting would you argue that Morgan's winless record against the Hawkeyes makes him not a key?

If we're playing Iowa and there were doubt about Morgan starting would you argue that Morgan's winless record against the Hawkeyes makes him not a key?

That's a fair question, and a good point. The answer is: I would (obviously) prefer that Tanner starts against Iowa (or any other team, for that matter).

I'm simply saying that facing O'Connell shouldn't scare anybody wearing maroon and gold. He's a fine QB, but we've historically done okay against him.

Top Bottom