Quick heads up for Gopher football fans

3rd period got a little more interesting then it should have but awesome to see the Gophs win the BTT and beating Wisconsin to do it makes it all the better. Hopefully they can parley a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament into another National Championship.

We have our challenges when it comes to recruiting in other sports but Gopher Hockey should always be good and hopefully Motzko can get the team back to the level where they are consistent title contenders.

I'm definitely not a hockey expert but that was a fun game ! Always nice to beat the drunk skunks. Hope Goldy keeps the momentum rolling into the tourney.

I made it a hockey night and switched back and forth between Wild and Gophers all night. Two winners! An exceptional night for MN sports.

I made it a hockey night and switched back and forth between Wild and Gophers all night. Two winners! An exceptional night for MN sports.

Don't forget about the Wolves.....they only lost to the Lakers by 16.......hmmmm.....never-mind, probably better to just pay attention to the hockey teams that are both playing at a really high level right now.

Ski-u-mah! Sure sounds good to say "Big Ten Champions"!

Ski-u-mah! Sure sounds good to say "Big Ten Champions"!
Definitely. And they might not be the favorite but they have a legit shot at winning a National Championship as well. Awesome to see Gopher hockey back where it belongs, hopefully they stay there moving forward.

I know it worked, but I hate it when teams change the way they play to hold onto a lead.

Don't forget about the Wolves.....they only lost to the Lakers by 16.......hmmmm.....never-mind, probably better to just pay attention to the hockey teams that are both playing at a really high level right now.
I read a statistical analysis of all NBA franchises. Minnesota is the home of the worst rated current franchise. By a wide margin.

Me when PJ waves at me:

hiii.gif

I read a statistical analysis of all NBA franchises. Minnesota is the home of the worst rated current franchise. By a wide margin.
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Timberwolves basketball has been in a rough state for quite a while now. Not sure they will ever be able to do enough to get into the upper echelon of the NBA where only a few teams really have a legit shot of winning it all. But making the playoffs on a regular basis would be nice.

Seems like a lifetime ago that they were actually the #1 seed for one year in 2003-04. Shame that team wasn't able to get it done because that was 100% the franchises high water mark.

Let me just say that I started watching other things after it became 5-1, and then checked back in just in time for the empty netter. So, you all are welcome.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Timberwolves basketball has been in a rough state for quite a while now. Not sure they will ever be able to do enough to get into the upper echelon of the NBA where only a few teams really have a legit shot of winning it all. But making the playoffs on a regular basis would be nice.

Seems like a lifetime ago that they were actually the #1 seed for one year in 2003-04. Shame that team wasn't able to get it done because that was 100% the franchises high water mark.
They have the least number of playoff wins all- time at 18. The NBA Champion gets 16 in one season.

Hello again, Gopher football fans! We need your support again!

Tonight at 7 on ESPN2, the Gophers play grown up little brother Minnesota State-Mankato to try to go to their first Frozen Four since 2014. Like the game against wisconsin was the biggest in modern Big Ten history, this game is clearly the biggest game for Gopher hockey since the 2014 title game.

Mankato (21-4-1) has been very strong recently with four straight WCHA regular season titles and four out of the last six. They also have four conference tournament titles since the new WCHA was formed in 2013-14. Beyond that they also have the most NCAA wins in the last ten seasons. Crazily enough, they got their first ever NCAA tournament win yesterday with the comeback and OT win over Quinnipiac.

Head coach Mike Hastings was an assistant at the U for one season, 2008-09. Motzko and Hastings were teammates at SCSU and remain close friends. The Mavericks have 11 Minnesotans on the roster, including four of their top six scorers. The all time series record is 37-16-6 in favor of the Gophers. The Mavericks have owned the last five, though, at 4-1 since meeting in the short lived Minnesota tournament at the X on 1/31/2016.

Go Gophers! It's going to be a tough one! UMD has booked their place in the Frozen Four, SCSU has a chance, so it would be great to see three Minnesota teams out of the last four (there have never even been two before) including THE U!

Last edited:

Hello again, Gopher football fans! We need your support again!

Tonight at 7 on ESPN2, the Gophers play grown up little brother Minnesota State-Mankato to try to go to their first Frozen Four since 2014. Like the game against wisconsin was the biggest in modern Big Ten history, this game is clearly the biggest game for Gopher hockey since the 2014 title game.

Mankato (21-4-1) has been very strong recently with four straight WCHA regular season titles and four out of the last six. They also have four conference tournament titles since the new WCHA was formed in 2013-14. Beyond that they also have the most NCAA wins in the last ten seasons. Crazily enough, they got their first ever NCAA tournament win yesterday with the comeback and OT win over Quinnipiac.

Head coach Mike Hastings was an assistant at the U for one season, 2008-09. Motzko and Hastings were teammates at SCSU and remain close friends. The Mavericks have 11 Minnesotans on the roster, including four of their top six scorers. The all time series record is 37-16-6 in favor of the Gophers. The Mavericks have owned the last five, though, at 4-1 since meeting in the short lived Minnesota tournament at the X on 1/31/2016.

Go Gophers! It's going to be a tough one! UMD has booked their place in the Frozen Four, SCSU has a chance, so it would be great to see three Minnesota teams out of the last four (there have never even been two before) including THE U!
Totally forgot to tune in last night but will definitely be checking out tonight's game. Awesome to see Minnesota teams kicking butt this year. 2 of the final 4 being from Minnesota is a lock, 3 would be even better.

Was huge for UMD to get the bye in the first round with Michigan dropping out due to Covid. That bye definitely helped them in their 5OT game yesterday.

Gophers are the better team tonight, but as we've learned many times in a 1-and-done hockey tournament, anything can happen.

Would be cool for St. Cloud to win so we have 3 Minnesota teams in the Frozen Four.

3 Minnesota teams in the Frozen Four.
Not sure our Gophers are going to be of them tho. They look slow in the first period and the Mankato State senior citizens just look hungrier.

3 Minnesota teams in the Frozen Four.
Not sure our Gophers are going to be of them tho. They look slow in the first period and the Mankato State senior citizens just look hungrier.
Mankato looks hungrier. Now that they have a lead they can just go into a defensive shell, which they are comfortable doing. This reminds me of the games where we lost to Notre Dame. Teams that play a really structured defensive system and frustrate us. It's just that Mankato is better than Notre Dame.

Mankato looks hungrier. Now that they have a lead they can just go into a defensive shell, which they are comfortable doing. This reminds me of the games where we lost to Notre Dame. Teams that play a really structured defensive system and frustrate us. It's just that Mankato is better than Notre Dame.
2-0 is not time to call a Boston crab.

What a shitty ending to a good season. Bob M’s teams have a pattern. Ugh.

Side note: how is Mankato not in the NCHC? Clearly a great college program that belongs there.

Top Bottom