Questions from a Syracuse fan

I am pretty certain Rawphenom is the orange head coach. Loose lips sink ships!

If Rawphenomenon is the Orange head coach, I can only say he should be recruiting instead of spending his time here.

RawPhenom, I enjoyed reading the give and take. Classy fans are cool. Texas Tech fans were not cool.

One thing regarding Rutgers, we had a pretty good recruiting pipeline from New Jersey/NYC when Glen Mason was the coach here. Greg White and Asad Abdul-Khaliq were a couple of outstanding players that come to mind. With Rutgers joining the Big 10 Minnesota will get more media exposure to that area and maybe get the recruiting pipeline going again. It seems that you guys and Penn State are the main ones that recruit that area constantly, but I could be wrong on that. Otherwise, I have no strong opinion on or interest in Rutgers.

The basketball onlys are more populous and take every opportunity to insult and disparage the football team. It's quite annoying.

We have that too, except it's in hockey. Many of them are like Yankee fans in hockey jerseys. There have even been instances where they were very rude during a hockey games when a tribute is made to the football team.

One thing regarding Rutgers, we had a pretty good recruiting pipeline from New Jersey/NYC when Glen Mason was the coach here. Greg White and Asad Abdul-Khaliq were a couple of outstanding players that come to mind. With Rutgers joining the Big 10 Minnesota will get more media exposure to that area and maybe get the recruiting pipeline going again. It seems that you guys and Penn State are the main ones that recruit that area constantly, but I could be wrong on that. Otherwise, I have no strong opinion on or interest in Rutgers.

Mason is from NJ, which is why he recruited a lot there. I very much doubt we will spend any appreciable amount of time there, especially since most of our staff is from Kansas and they've proven they like to be in TX and the Deep South more than anywhere else.

Mason is from NJ, which is why he recruited a lot there.

That's true, good point. How could I forget that Jersey accent?

Maybe the addition of Maryland will help with the recruiting in the southeastern region somewhat. I just think playing teams in areas where you recruit helps. Of course, you need to win against those teams too.

We have that too, except it's in hockey. Many of them are like Yankee fans in hockey jerseys. There have even been instances where they were very rude during a hockey games when a tribute is made to the football team.

I guess I haven't seen this. I certainly dispute the characterization of Gopher hockey fans as Yankee fans in hockey jerseys. I know that there are plenty of "hockey-only fans" in the sense that they only follow the hockey team, but I have been at plenty of Gopher hockey games and have always been part of the cheering crowd when they pay a tribute to any other Gopher sports team.

Admittedly, I was also part of the "fire Brewster" chant at the hockey game the evening Brewster got canned, but that was because we want Brewster gone because we cared about the footbal team.

The fact that we're playing 'cuse isn't anything personal and i doubt any Gopher fan has any beef whatsoever with the Syracuse Orangemen.
For me, it's more about being 2 wins better this year than last year, and being 8-4 4-4 and having a Michigan 7-5 3-5 team picked over us
only for a more storied past, not current season. Yes, I know they piss-pounded us early in the B1G season, but were dreadful their last 4-5 games.
If we had played them toward the end of the season, the piss-pounding would've been on them and they'd be a 6 win team (and still likely picked
over us.)

A lot of Gophers fans felt (and we did) deserve better and were very hopeful for a Gator Bowl invitation, especially with our 'feel good' national story.
The other thing, a lot of people weren't liking the idea of playing the rags at Texas Tech again...I on the other hand felt if we got stuck in Houston
again, that I would have LOVED another opportunity to ghetto stomp those classless s**t kickers.
But anyway, long story short....just more to prove next year.

Here's to a hard fought and clean game between two good and classy teams!!! GOOD LUCK ORANGE!

The fact that we're playing 'cuse isn't anything personal and i doubt any Gopher fan has any beef whatsoever with the Syracuse Orangemen.
For me, it's more about being 2 wins better this year than last year, and being 8-4 4-4 and having a Michigan 7-5 3-5 team picked over us
only for a more storied past, not current season. Yes, I know they piss-pounded us early in the B1G season, but were dreadful their last 4-5 games.
If we had played them toward the end of the season, the piss-pounding would've been on them and they'd be a 6 win team (and still likely picked
over us.)

A lot of Gophers fans felt (and we did) deserve better and were very hopeful for a Gator Bowl invitation, especially with our 'feel good' national story.
The other thing, a lot of people weren't liking the idea of playing the rags at Texas Tech again...I on the other hand felt if we got stuck in Houston
again, that I would have LOVED another opportunity to ghetto stomp those classless s**t kickers.
But anyway, long story short....just more to prove next year.

Here's to a hard fought and clean game between two good and classy teams!!! GOOD LUCK ORANGE!

I had the exact opposite opinion of a possible matchup with Texas Tech. They got the best of us the last two times we played, and I really wanted some revenge. Edit: upon a closer reading of your post, I realize you also feel the same way.

For our Syracuse readers: I will go out on a limb and give you a scouting report on Gopher Fans. (tongue in cheek)

In my experience (saw my 1st Gopher game in 1968), there are 3 types of Gopher Fans.

1. Irrational optimists. They tend to over-rate the Gopher players, and under-rate the opponents, leading them to
make bold predictions of Gopher victories that, more often than not, fail to materialize. Also think every recruit
signed by the Gophers will turn the program around. If you don't agree with them, they brand you as "not
a real Gopher fan."

2. The Realists. (probably the smallest of the 3 groups.). Have the ability to evaluate the Gophers and their
opponents in a fair and realistic manner. Try hard to not let their hopes get too high when the team is playing
well, or get too down when the team struggles. Happy with progress under Kill, but hesitant to start dreaming
about Rose Bowls for fear of being disappointed.

3. The Doom-and-Gloom crowd. If the Gophers play well, it was a fluke, or the other team stunk. If the Gophers
lose, never give the other team credit. Enjoy pointing out the historically low ranking for Gophers' recruiting
classes. Like to ridicule the optimists as "drinking the kool-aid." After a Gopher loss, they flock to the message
boards to proclaim that the team is finished and won't win another game this season.

OK - your turn - tell us about the Syracuse fans.........

For our Syracuse readers: I will go out on a limb and give you a scouting report on Gopher Fans. (tongue in cheek)

In my experience (saw my 1st Gopher game in 1968), there are 3 types of Gopher Fans.

1. Irrational optimists. They tend to over-rate the Gopher players, and under-rate the opponents, leading them to
make bold predictions of Gopher victories that, more often than not, fail to materialize. Also think every recruit
signed by the Gophers will turn the program around. If you don't agree with them, they brand you as "not
a real Gopher fan."

2. The Realists. (probably the smallest of the 3 groups.). Have the ability to evaluate the Gophers and their
opponents in a fair and realistic manner. Try hard to not let their hopes get too high when the team is playing
well, or get too down when the team struggles. Happy with progress under Kill, but hesitant to start dreaming

3. The Doom-and-Gloom crowd. If the Gophers play well, it was a fluke, or the other team stunk. If the Gophers
lose, never give the other team credit. Enjoy pointing out the historically low ranking for Gophers' recruiting
classes. Like to ridicule the optimists as "drinking the kool-aid." After a Gopher loss, they flock to the message
boards to proclaim that the team is finished and won't win another game this season.

Ours sound very similar to yours. I would tweak it to have:

1. The Nostalgics. The team isn't good anymore since we changed up our uniforms and then went away from the option offense. It has nothing to do with the emergence of two other Northeastern schools (UConn and Rutgers) taking away our recruits. Those small fry are irrelevant. If we would only go back to the McNabb uniforms, then Orange Bowl, here we come. We also get screwed over in every game by the refs, the review booth officials, the conference commissioner, etc.

2. The Basketball Onlys. They only poke their head around to post topics like "Is it basketball season yet?" or "Thank God for the basketball team". You ask them how long they have been fans for and their response is "I really started liking them in 2003". They are very similar to Alabama football fans that don't live in Alabama. But they are certain that the basketball referees screw us over with bogus calls.

3. The Die Hards. They go to every game but they spend more time complaining about the beer prices (yeah we serve beer on our on campus stadium), the donation levels, the people that leave early, the people that don't stand on cheer on third down, the AD, the playcalling, the ACC, the Big East, Obama, Bush, Miley Cyrus, and of course, the refs. They are extremely knowledgeable about football and will often take breaks to discuss who the Yankees need to acquire in the offseasonfrom some unfortunate small market team. They hate Georgetown with a passion but refuse to acknowledge any hate for Rutgers because they are beneath the Orange. They openly discuss who should be our rival going forward because they think those things can be decided on.

a real Gopher fan."

I'm a combo-platter of #'s one and two. Mostly number two, but recently Coach Kill has been bringing out the #1 in me.

And I'm 100% ok with that.

I'm a combo-platter of #'s one and two. Mostly number two, but recently Coach Kill has been bringing out the #1 in me.

And I'm 100% ok with that.

Yeah, I kind of feel like there is a #4 in there, firmly lodged between Type-1 and Type-2 Gopher fans (where I perceive myself to reside as well).

Maybe a 5th category for the 'Mason-Revisionists'? You know, the folks who think that 1997-2006 was some sort of Golden Era of football, and we were routinely winning 9-10 games.

Ours sound very similar to yours. I would tweak it to have:

1. The Recent Nostalgics. The team isn't good anymore since we went away from the zone blocking offense. It has nothing to do with the emergence of two other schools (Iowa and Wisconsin) taking away our recruits. If we would only go back to the Zone Blocking scheme then Rose Bowl, here we come. We also get screwed over in every game by the refs, the review booth officials, the conference commissioner, Bowl Reps etc. so we'd get passed over anyway.

3. The Die Hards. They go to every game but they spend more time complaining about the beer prices and revenue (yeah we serve beer on our on campus stadium too), the donation levels, the people that leave early, the people that don't stand on cheer on third down, the AD, the playcalling, the SEC, the Big Ten Network,, Obama, Bush, Dayton, the Wilfs, Brewster, Maturi and of course, the refs. They are sort of knowledgeable about football and will often take breaks to discuss who the Vikings need to Draft in the offseason. They hate the Hawkeyes and Badgers with a passion but refuse to acknowledge that Marketing alone won't fill 50,000 seats. They openly discuss how much they disdain the Students.

Us, that's us.

Reading short ornery norwegian's and rawphenomenon's comments, it sounds to me like GopherHole fan board and the Orange fan board have about equal levels of dumbassery (that term compliments of dpodoll) that keeps the rest of us in concussive shaking heads states of obsessive laughter.

A bit more about our team...

Almost every set that Limegrover runs (he's our OC) has a three option sequence for the QB of (1) hand it off to the RB/WR; (2) keep it and run; (3) pass. Which option the QB takes depends primarly on what your DE on the play side does. For example, if it's a jet sweep crossing to the far side and the farside DE does an outside rush, the QB keeps and hits the inside gap. If the DE joins the DT and does an inside rush, then the RB/WR on the sweep gets the ball. If the DE tries a straight bull rush, then it's a pass. The idea is that we'll always have "plus one" on the play by keeping your ends out of position. We'll grind it out by always having one more blocker at the line than you have defenders. The result is that in our offense consistantly gets 4 yds per play, but we don't get big chuncks of yards. Your LBs and DB will end up crashing the line to stop the run; and that's when a pure pass play (usually a crossing route by the WRs or a middle slant by a TE) will open up in the middle. It's a pretty predictable offense -- you'll know what we're running but it doesn't matter, we'll do the reads and get our 4 yards and keep the drive going. As the game gets late, we'll wear you down and those 4 yard gains start growing. The downside is that if we do get behind, it's hard for us to catch up. We're a grind it out possession team versus fast attack.

Also, a play to watch for is the Golden-I. You don't see that alot (unless you watch Maryland play...). The stacked formation is QB, TE, FB, RB. About 90% of the time the ball ends up with the RB following the blocks of the TE and FB as they hit the A or B gap, but we've also thrown out of the I and a few times used the TE and FB as misdirection up the middle while the RB goes end with the ball.

Then again, we've got 15 practices, so who knows what Limegrover is going to add to the playbook...

I'm pretty much #2.

Wait! Let me re-phrase that.

Got a kick out of the shot taken at so-called "Mason-Revisionists".

No one has ever claimed that Glen Mason's teams averaged 9-10 wins a season. When people go out of their way to exaggerate to make a point, its usually because the truth isn't enough to make their point.

If you 'Cuse fans are still here, first of all I'd like to congratulate you on all those lacrosse national titles, I was not aware you had so many of them, looks like 15 from scanning the Syracuse wikipedia page. And I have a couple questions:

1. Do any of you have strong feelings about going from being the Orangemen to just the Orange? Does anyone still insist on calling them the Orangemen? I ask because there is a Marquette fan here who posts on our basketball board a lot and insists on referring to the team as the Warriors.

2. And what do you guys have against Rick Pitino? From what I can gather, there's a strong dislike of him among 'Cuse fans. Does he beat you guys a lot, do you think he's a cheater, or is he just an unlikable character?

If you 'Cuse fans are still here, first of all I'd like to congratulate you on all those lacrosse national titles, I was not aware you had so many of them, looks like 15 from scanning the Syracuse wikipedia page. And I have a couple questions:

1. Do any of you have strong feelings about going from being the Orangemen to just the Orange? Does anyone still insist on calling them the Orangemen? I ask because there is a Marquette fan here who posts on our basketball board a lot and insists on referring to the team as the Warriors.

2. And what do you guys have against Rick Pitino? From what I can gather, there's a strong dislike of him among 'Cuse fans. Does he beat you guys a lot, do you think he's a cheater, or is he just an unlikable character?

Yeah Lacrosse seems to be our thing. Up until about 15 years ago, it seemed like only 3 places in the country actually played lacrosse: Central New York, Long Island, and Maryland. That seemed to make Syracuse and Johns Hopkins the perennial front runners. The sport seems to have taken off lately and we have been losing our stranglehold on it. From what I understand, the coach had the idea that we didn't need to actively recruit since we were the destination school. But things change.

In response to your question, we probably don't have strong feelings like the Marquette fan you are referencing. We always complain about being a fruit/color/whatever it is that we are nowadays, but going from Orangemen to the non-gender specific Orange is a somewhat seamless transition. Our favorite cheer (Let's go Orange Men [Clap clap, clap clap clap]) was changed to defy the laws of Webster to make Orange into a disyllabic word (Let's go Orrrrr Ange [Clap clap, clap clap clap]). We always take delight when an opposing fan refers to us as the Orangemen though, often looking back to a buddy and saying, "See this guy gets it". That's not to say we don't complain, because we complain about most of everything. I never realized we did until I lived elsewhere and heard people say such foreign phrases as, "The other team just played better than us today".

Regarding Pitino, I don't think we have a dislike of him that goes beyond the realm of healthy respect. Coaches like John Thompson from Georgetown and to a much lesser degree, Calhoun from UConn, do receive hate. But Pitino used to be one of Boeheim's assistants in the 70's before he got his own head coaching gig. He then found his way to Providence and then to Kentucky where they met in the Championship game. Syracuse fans don't think too fondly of Bobby Knight for his similar denial of the ring. But between Kentucky and Louisville, Pitino amassed a 7 game win streak or so against Boeheim. So the sentiment that you probably pick up is due to equal parts of Pitino being a thorn in our side at multiple destinations and our general dislike of anyone that beats us.

Reading short ornery norwegian's and rawphenomenon's comments, it sounds to me like GopherHole fan board and the Orange fan board have about equal levels of dumbassery (that term compliments of dpodoll) that keeps the rest of us in concussive shaking heads states of obsessive laughter.

Short Ornery Norwegian's dry, dull, humdrum posts reminds me of this TV serial killing Swede!

Calling a Norwegian a Swede?! That's quite an insult. lol

I have a joke for you all.

Soon after Minnesota won its last football game vs Syracuse, Sven and his 7 brothers decided to have a victory party and they invited the whole town. Everyone was having fun when a crazy Syracuse fan popped up on top of a nearby hill yelling out taunts and insults towards all the Gopher fans in attendence. Sven was insulted and chased after the Syracuse fan, who then disappeared behind the hill. Sven's brothers and the rest of the Gopher fans continued to party. Then just as they started wondering what was taking Sven so long to beat up that Syracuse fan, the Syracuse fan popped back up at the top of the hill yelling out more taunts and insults. He was even louder and more insulting this time around and Sven's seven brothers all got up and chased after him and he disappeared behind the hill and they did as well as they chased after him. Well, the Gopher fans all partying all agreed that if Sven couldn't handle that Syracuse fan, surely his seven brothers easily could, so they went back to their partying and drinking and celebrating their incredible win over the Orangemen as they used to be known by. Well, just as a few of the partiers started to notice it had been awhile since Sven's seven brothers had left to chase after that Syracuse fan, the same crazy Syracuse fan popped back up at the top of that nearby hill, and not only continued to insult all of the Gopher fans, he dared to moon them and he even dared to insult our beloved mascot, Goldy Gopher, so everyone in attendance at the party rose up in fierce anger and chased after this Syracuse fan. But as they got to the top of the hill, they saw Sven and his seven brothers all hanging upside down from a tree and Sven cried out, "Go back, its a trick, theres two of them!!!"

Suckacuse Aint ****!

In the last 50 years, Syracuse University has only produced TWO Natl Champions outside of the sport of Lacrosse.

Their Men's Crew team won a Natl Title in 1978, and their Men's BB team won the Natl Title in 2003 as we are all well aware of.

Meanwhile, outside of the sport of Ice Hockey, in the last 50 years the Univ of Minnesota has won Natl Titles in Men's Wrestling, Men's Golf, Men's Baseball and gotten Women's VB and Womens BB teams to the Final Four. Our Dance Team is a dynasty that's won 8 Natl titles. Our Men's Gymnastics team has finished #2 in the nation.

We've put more players into the NFL than SU has.
We've put more players into the NBA than SU has.
We've put more players into MLB than SU has.
We've put more players into the NHL than SU has.

We've put twice as many players into the Cfb HOF than SU has.
We've put more players into the Naismith HOF than SU has.
We've put more players in the Baseball HOF than SU has.
We've put more players into the Hockey HOF than SU has.

We've had more players win Gold Medals in the Olympics than SU has.

We invented Cheerleading.

And what has Syracuse ever done for us?? We gave them future HOF coaches Biggie Munn and Ossie Solem(Helms HOF).

SU never made the cfb Top 10 or 20 before WWII, so to be nice, comparing our 2 programs since WWII, here is their Top 5 rankings vs ours.

1-4-6-8-10
vs
1-6-8-9-10

not a big difference.

And in head to head action, they've lost 3 straight to us.

Top Bottom