Questions for Dave Mona and the Sports Huddle

DL65

Reaction score
Last Sunday morning Dave Mona said he had a dozen questions from GopherHole members that he'd like to ask coach Kill, however, Sunday's abbreviated edition allowed only four questions to be asked.

Although Dave Mona still has some questions to be aired, more questions for this Sunday and future Sports Huddle editions would be appreciated. I suspect there'll be more questions once spring drills begin; however, if you have an issue or an aspect of Golden Gopher football that hasn't yet been covered, please submit your query now.

Go Gophers!!

1) Under what circumstances and when do you stop recruiting a player, high on your list of recruits, that has committed to another school?

2) What is the most difficult position to recruit to? I've read and heard a lot of coaches say defensive tackle is the hardest position to recruit; reportedly, it's said, everyone is seeking a dominating interior lineman and that they're difficult to find and secure.

3) Minnesota has three long standing rivalry/trophy games (Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa) and a new one with Penn State. Is there another school with as many trophy games? Do you approach trophy games any differently than other conference games?

4) Last Sunday on the Sports Huddle President Kaler was asked his opinion about the proposal that student athletes receive a $2,000 stipend above and beyond their scholarship and traditional compensation. What are your thoughts of the proposal of additional money for student athletes above their scholarship funds?

5) You've frequently said recruiting is about building relationships. Are there certain areas in the country that you focus on because of developed relationships with high school or juco coaching staffs? Are there geographical areas that you'd like to make inroads that you haven't recruited as hard in seasons past? If so, where would you like to develop a foot hold in recruiting that you don't have now?

6) You've coached against Notre Dame's head coach, Brian Kelley, at two collegiate divisions/levels and conferences. He reportedly said he'd like to schedule a game with Minnesota. Have you heard similar reports? Has coach Kelley expressed an interest in scheduling a game with you?

7) Is there a specific area of emphasis that you're focusing on as you prepare for spring drills?

Go Gophers!!

DL65 said:
You've coached against Notre Dame's head coach, Brian Kelley, at two collegiate divisions/levels and conferences.

In the interest of accuracy, this isn't quite correct. They did coach against each other in the same DII conference, and both later coached in the MAC, but not at the same time. Kelly left CMU after the 2006 season, while Kill's first season at NIU was 2007.

You always amaze me with your ability to come up with multiple good questions for coach Kill week after week. Are you sure you're not Dave Mona himself?

I always try to come up with good questions, but I can't think of any :(

I'm in the same boat cuz he answered all I had. Spring Game - Yes!

Last Sunday morning Dave Mona said he had a dozen questions from GopherHole members that he'd like to ask coach Kill, however, Sunday's abbreviated edition allowed only four questions...

1. is there an appreciable difference in talent between the NIU team you left 15 months ago...and the Gopher team you now coach?

2. if so, how would you characterize the difference?

3. which of the two teams is more talented? which would win more games if they played one another 10x (all theoretical, of course)?

4. now that you represent a Big 10 squad, are you able to get into more living rooms while on the recruiting trail? how about when exclusively out of state?

5. in other words, are you now able to participate a bit higher on the recruiting food chain, versus when you were at NIU? or is it roughly the same caliber student-athlete you are able to battle over, at least up until now?

Is there any key predictor or typical types of key predictors of potential that you have noted over the course of your career that may tend to influence your decision about whether to offer a high school recruit a scholarship? If so, what would some of the attributes be that would give these youngsters the best chance to succeed and thrive as playes and team members within your program and system?

In the interest of accuracy, this isn't quite correct. They did coach against each other in the same DII conference, and both later coached in the MAC, but not at the same time. Kelly left CMU after the 2006 season, while Kill's first season at NIU was 2007.

You always amaze me with your ability to come up with multiple good questions for coach Kill week after week. Are you sure you're not Dave Mona himself?

Thank you for correcting my error. I thought they had coached against each other in the MAC. I appreciate the correction.

Go Gophers!!

+1000. Great work as always DL!

He is truly one of the real positives about this site. I expect he makes each our days a little brighter. But that is probably why we pay him the big bucks.

Question - do you want the backup QB to get a certain number of snaps per game, or is it dictated by the game situation?

Related question - do you want/need to limit the number of snaps for Gray to help keep him healthy/avoid injuries/fatigue?

Top Bottom